Deer Dogs

The ultimate prep ban deer dog in my opinion can be a number of xesi don't suppose one could really say a specific xes although the be types that tend through there breeding and stature that favour large edible above most else,swings and round a outs but the very best could catch em anywhere tab bunnys.

• Like 3

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The litter I bred, bull/grey x coursing dog Might have been decent if this ban wasn't in place. But I wouldn't have said you NEED bull to make decent deer dogs. Getting them the quarry regular is th

There are deer dog`s & there are dog`s that take deer, the difference is in the mental attitude of the dog to get the job over quickly whether that be in the open or woodland. Most dog`s will take

There's nothing hard about catching roe if the dogs fast fit and willing to take them it's usually game over for the deer.

Posted Images

I wouldn't go for anything that didn't have deerhound in it. I have what we in Oz call a staghound or roo dog, which is deerhound x gh in varying mixes with some other bits and pieces down the line and I know of numerous dogs from the same line that have taken fallow regularly (albeit they were owned by irresponsible people, It's illegal here too). A good, honest deerhound of the old style is sound, fast, agile for it's size, enduring and have a temperament that can't be beaten IMO

I wouldn't go for anything that didn't have deerhound in it. I have what we in Oz call a staghound or roo dog, which is deerhound x gh in varying mixes with some other bits and pieces down the line and I know of numerous dogs from the same line that have taken fallow regularly (albeit they were owned by irresponsible people, It's illegal here too). A good, honest deerhound of the old style is sound, fast, agile for it's size, enduring and have a temperament that can't be beaten IMO

Add a bit of proven saluki bred and you are getting there imo

don't forget they take a decade to get entered

surprised there ent more people saying stuff with deerhound in

Too tall, can't turn, not fast enough and brainless, and their feet are too big, oh yeah, almost forgot! Not enough bottle either lol 8)

:doh: Damn, I forgot that one! Lol :thumbs:

Round my way there was a lad who ran a bull cross that did them for fun nighttime in the end he only ran the dog on deer during the day there wasn't many deer that escaped if the dog was on there case.if I remember right the dog was a racy type about 25tts 75lb and really loved Bambi's.I wouldn't consider any other dog than bull cross for the land round me if deer were legal again.

How can you it be racy if its 25tt 75lb?

Perhaps he made a typing error and meant 57lb instead of 75lb? Lol :thumbs:

A good 1/2 Bull 1/2 Grey 1st cross IMO. Might not be the fastest but is a pure powerhouse and could, pre ban of course, take down most species of Bambi

Ive got a shed full of very good 1/2 bullgrey mate,but when the ban is lifted I wont be hoping for a lot of Roe. You have to be realistic..

• Like 3

I think the ultimate deer dog is either a dhxgh or dhxgh x colliexgh many moons ago I witnessed them take roe red and fallow on a regular basis those types have speed and power to get the job done some will agree most won't but that's my opinion

Thinking of going down this route again myself, or one of those 3/4 or 2/3rd bred or whatever, collie greys lol, just for the rabbits like :D:thumbs:

How would we go to getting one of them tried n tested stag hound types sent over then ?

I think the ultimate deer dog is either a dhxgh or dhxgh x colliexgh many moons ago I witnessed them take roe red and fallow on a regular basis those types have speed and power to get the job done some will agree most won't but that's my opinion

Thinking of going down this route again myself, or one of those 3/4 or 2/3rd bred or whatever, collie greys lol, just for the rabbits like :D:thumbs:
I had a 3/4 x she was bollox utter bollox would run when she liked biggest pain in arse ever she was lol

How would we go to getting one of them tried n tested stag hound types sent over then ?

It would cost a fortune. A member on here has one, mostly deerhound with a touch of english bull. It's been trained and used for pig only. Get it over a fast type fen coursing bitch and you might be onto something. I can't remember his name but I think he posted in one of the more recent deerhound threads.

• Like 1

I had a 3/4 x she was bollox utter bollox would run when she liked biggest pain in arse ever she was lol

Lol must've been too much greyhound in her, we all know how crap they are! Lol :thumbs:

Lol must've been too much greyhound in her, we all know how crap they are! Lol :thumbs:
must have been lol