Deer Dogs

I would say ones right back in the day make up of lurchers meant very little what's they did mattered ,and mostly domes would turn they selves to most disciplines in the field versatility the key and always was.atb bunnys

• Like 1

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The litter I bred, bull/grey x coursing dog Might have been decent if this ban wasn't in place. But I wouldn't have said you NEED bull to make decent deer dogs. Getting them the quarry regular is th

There are deer dog`s & there are dog`s that take deer, the difference is in the mental attitude of the dog to get the job over quickly whether that be in the open or woodland. Most dog`s will take

There's nothing hard about catching roe if the dogs fast fit and willing to take them it's usually game over for the deer.

Posted Images

I'd like to have seen and know the breeding of the dogs doing it in the day no lamping but catching them in forestry blocks weekly !!

Why would you want to run any lurcher in forestry surely theres no need....dead dogs or vet bills....

I'd like to have seen and know the breeding of the dogs doing it in the day no lamping but catching them in forestry blocks weekly !!

Why would you want to run any lurcher in forestry surely theres no need....dead dogs or vet bills....

down this way we are not blessed with the amount of game others have !! Got to take your chance never had a injury or dead dog due to woods
  • Like 1

down this way we are not blessed with the amount of game others have !! Got to take your chance never had a injury or dead dog due to woods

Edited by Bigthug87

Animals bought on in heavy cover etc ,do wel inforestry plantations,and learn how to run it running brain has a part to play and those types that knock there sells about are just has likely to do so in a field. On hedge sides there's commitment and then there's recklessness very different running woodland his a must for some some being in amongst woodland cover etc daily from around ten weeks old or even sooner it becomes a part of them. Much like a wild creature atb bunnys

• Like 5

I would say ones right back in the day make up of lurchers meant very little what's they did mattered ,and mostly domes would turn they selves to most disciplines in the field versatility the key and always was.atb bunnys

To be fair it isn't so much the breeding as the size and build, but yes it would come down to what they could do in reality. I know they a heavy bull cross could still be used for ferreting, but I would rather a dog siimilar to these for the job, I don't think with deer you would have needed to raw power of a bull cross, if you look back in history dogs for edible game have never been thick set.

Animals bought on in heavy cover etc ,do wel inforestry plantations,and learn how to run it running brain has a part to play and those types that knock there sells about are just has likely to do so in a field. On hedge sides there's commitment and then there's recklessness very different running woodland his a must for some some being in amongst woodland cover etc daily from around ten weeks old or even sooner it becomes a part of them. Much like a wild creature atb bunnys

Bang on Bunnys, they need to start before they can run fast enough to hurt themselves.

IMO running and walking on very uneven ground helps build and harden the tendons and ligaments of feet too. Some say that tendons and ligaments won't grow and repair themselves but when a pup is still growing they MUST do or adult dogs would look very odd with puppy tendons. :hmm:

• Like 1

Iv never done any deer work but what about deerhound x greyhound to saluki collie greyhound don't know if there are many of this cross iv never seen one .but I don't know anything about working deer atb .corey

I've got one, does everything I've asked and with style, my pride and joy

Edited by Parabuteos lad

Sometimes its inevitable/unavoidable especially where "their aren't any deer" unfortunately.

Cheers, D.

Sometimes its inevitable/unavoidable especially where "their aren't any deer" unfortunately.

Cheers, D.