Deer Dogs

I've always wondered what the ultimate deer dog would be, I mean, a dog that can get up to a roe buck, quickly, & pull it over without a hedge in sight! (Pre ban of course!) up & at them types! Not too big that they don't turn as well, yet not too small that they struggle! I've seen a few good dogs through the years, the question is what was the best you've seen? Size, percentages etc? Cheers,

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The litter I bred, bull/grey x coursing dog Might have been decent if this ban wasn't in place. But I wouldn't have said you NEED bull to make decent deer dogs. Getting them the quarry regular is th

There are deer dog`s & there are dog`s that take deer, the difference is in the mental attitude of the dog to get the job over quickly whether that be in the open or woodland. Most dog`s will take

There's nothing hard about catching roe if the dogs fast fit and willing to take them it's usually game over for the deer.

Posted Images

I've always favoured the saluki bull greyhound imo there the perfect alrounder always done everything I've asked of them and been the best dogs I've ever owned

I've always favoured the saluki bull greyhound imo there the perfect alrounder always done everything I've asked of them and been the best dogs I've ever owned

always liked this x , should do most quarry we got here .

I had 2 good dogs for deer years ago, the first was a 1/4 bull 3/4 grey called minty, heart of a lion, there weren't many he would miss, but he wouldn't pressure them in the middle of a field, but always catch them close to the hedge/fence! The next was a 30 inch 1/4 deer 3/4 grey called ghengis, he was a flyer on open land, & catch them on the run before they turned, but if they turned, & he missed, he'd over run, not the best turner, but when he caught em, it was text book stuff!

• Like 1

I had a 3/4 grey 1/4 beardie collie, 10 months old he took his first Roe, pushed it out of the small hard wood, area, broad daylight month of December,

another dog i had a Saluki x bred for coursing,(((( this is all pre ban,((((( he took his first Roe about 14 months old single handed, the same as the collie x single handed, ((((( No big deal, truth, in fact both dogs could have filled my freezer every week without fail those two dogs that I mentioned, Never knew each other, both had a great nose on them, both could do there job with ease, THE hare was a bit more difficult, (((( again both dogs could achieve there goal,

all totally PRE-BAN,,,,,, down through the years I have only owned dogs fit to do the Hare, the Roe is second on the list, ((( again No big deal,

but dont forgert the famous wee Bedlington x whippet, I only owned one a long long time back never again,(((( too head strong, hunt on and onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn,

• Like 3

I'm talking fallow in woods hunted and caught in woods no fields ?

dogs adapt any deer in forestry blocks are like steam trains they never put much thought into there running bar heading for higher ground and into the darkness of the fur trees most dogs are capable back in pre ban days of course they just adapted the problem is always losing sight unless walking on top of them that's where the dogs hearing and smell comes in you can hear the deer running away and what direction they are going if you just keep calm and don't lose your foucus the hardest part is finding the dam dog just my 2 cents on the old years pre ban of course
  • Like 4

3/4grey 1/4 saluki ultimate deer dog or 3/4 grey 1/4 bull

Im not trying to piss on your chips but I doubt very much that a 3/4 grey 1/4 bull would of been the ultimate deer dog ....

• Like 1