Digging Dogs V Bolting Dogs

If a terrier is close enough to mix it, then the fox shouldn't have room to bolt, well not on a regular basis. If your dog is regularly letting foxes past it to bolt, imo its lacking in something. I can see there uses and iv owned such dogs but I would never want kennels full of that type

I understand where you're coming from, BUT a good bolting dog is NOT just a second rate digging dog.

I feel like I'm going round in circles so I think i'm going to disappear again

All the best

To me its a digging dog that jacks and very usefull at times.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recon most of the time it's up to the fox what happens.....

I think a bolting terrier is a failed digging terrier. A bolting terrier will give up after so long which is what most men would class as a cull. I agree they have their uses and get the numbers up in

When a dog of any sort goes to a fox in a stop end ,the metal of the dog is measured whether you like it or not .If that fox then bolts the dog has been found wanting ,no ifs or buts,the fox has got o

My thought on a bolter was a terrier that went in for 15 minutes got into the fox then came back out went back in done the same. In the first few times of the dog doing this. The fox would fly out? Just going on what people have told me. Anyone heard or seen tgis method?

Whatever tickles your fancy. Each type serve a purpose in men's yards for different reasons and both types get results. Bolters can be run in undiggable places which is an advantage. If you are looking to know which type is the better earthdog the truth is staring you in the face. You don't see men with digging dogs running them in undiggable spots. Why is that? Simple answer one is committed to do a job to the end the other is not.

• Like 5

I think a bolting terrier is a failed digging terrier. A bolting terrier will give up after so long which is what most men would class as a cull. I agree they have their uses and get the numbers up in a season bit imo they shouldn't be bred from and shouldn't be placed in the same category as a dog that will stay with the quarry.

• Like 8

Jmho for me it's not about numbers if it was I'd lamp a strong lurcher and get loads where I'm at or even a rifle get even more. No I admire a terrier that shows grit and determination to stay until dug , whatever style that may be or breed . I can really see the benefits of a dog that bolts and won't stay or that can be called out, especially as I'm getting older lol. But like I said the one I admire above all else is the tyke that stays .

• Like 3

i like a good little bolting terrier. pure gold to me. i think that the best ones tend to be owned by folk that have only one thing in mind, and that is to get the job done as quickly and painlessly for both man and dog. and its more about the man than the dog in my opinion. firstly he wont go to over hard terriers for stock. he will need small vocal terriers he will then rear it with discipline insisting on full control of the animal . at all times. when entering it will be entered carefully in a manner that teaches the terrier its reward is the success of a fox hitting the net or being bolted to guns. a good bolting terrier is working in a partnership with its owner. it is a team player. to get this sort of team both dog and owner need to play there part . ive had three terriers like this. all bitches.

all russell types. all brought on in a similar manner. i know a lot of folk will think its bullchit but i reckon a large percentage of terriers of most breeding will do this in the right hands.

my terriers that did this where shady bred by me from a local black laky to my little russell penny.

a bitch called maddy bred in wishaw. from s parkins stock.

and a bitch called jade bred by a lad on here. russell with laky blood . all these terriers have been seen working by lads on these boards.

to lads on one side of this debate these terriers are culls. to lads on the other side of the debate they are the dogs dangly's .

you have to wonder how many terriers would jump the gulf entered and reared by the lads with opposing views and methods ?

• Like 4
Guest foxpack

this little dog will only bolt foxes ,very noisy at them ,but won,t interact,which to me is what i need ,theres some deep spots we do ,he has bolted a good few foxes this season.

SAM_0122_zpslsblxgw2.jpg

and for the more stubborn foxes we have this little twat,,lol

1613938_576546795757108_1414843702_n_zps

• Like 1

this little dog will only bolt foxes ,very noisy at them ,but won,t interact,which to me is what i need ,theres some deep spots we do ,he has bolted a good few foxes this season.

SAM_0122_zpslsblxgw2.jpg

and for the more stubborn foxes we have this little twat,,lol

1613938_576546795757108_1414843702_n_zps

Both good little tykes in my opinion.

Both as useful as each other, again in my opinion.

When a dog of any sort goes to a fox in a stop end ,the metal of the dog is measured whether you like it or not .If that fox then bolts the dog has been found wanting ,no ifs or buts,the fox has got over the dog or the dog has given ground to a spiteful quarry .Some very strange notions about concerning this but its very cut abd dried .Either your dog wants it or it dosnt .

• Like 8

When a dog of any sort goes to a fox in a stop end ,the metal of the dog is measured whether you like it or not .If that fox then bolts the dog has been found wanting ,no ifs or buts,the fox has got over the dog or the dog has given ground to a spiteful quarry .Some very strange notions about concerning this but its very cut abd dried .Either your dog wants it or it dosnt .

Iagree 100%. foxdropper you have just hit the nail on the head.

Edited by black stuff
  • Like 1

if a dog bred for digging is letting a fox get by it. then its a failed digging dog. a cull. but if its bred for use as a terrier for bolting foxes then it is not . it has done its job and the fox has been shot. it may go against the grain for a lot of folk but i prefare the bolter. if i breed it its a good terrier if you bred it its a cull. its more about who owns it than it is about the dog. different standards i suppose

• Like 4