Digging Dogs V Bolting Dogs

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recon most of the time it's up to the fox what happens.....

I think a bolting terrier is a failed digging terrier. A bolting terrier will give up after so long which is what most men would class as a cull. I agree they have their uses and get the numbers up in

When a dog of any sort goes to a fox in a stop end ,the metal of the dog is measured whether you like it or not .If that fox then bolts the dog has been found wanting ,no ifs or buts,the fox has got o

When a dog of any sort goes to a fox in a stop end ,the metal of the dog is measured whether you like it or not .If that fox then bolts the dog has been found wanting ,no ifs or buts,the fox has got over the dog or the dog has given ground to a spiteful quarry .Some very strange notions about concerning this but its very cut abd dried .Either your dog wants it or it dosnt .

I agree with what you say,when the dog reaches its fox in a stop it should not allow it past,but we dont know what happenes under the ground.When a fox bolts it might have been lying up in a tube,not a stop.There was a thread on here some time back about a certain dog that was supposed to have let a fox past it.I dug the dog several times and no way in the world would he let a fox past,1st of he could kill a fox double quick and 2nd the dog was the full of any decent size tube,im not saying the fox did not get out but if he did it was via a different route.

• Like 2

I haven't read much of this post but here's my opinion. my type of bolting dog wouldn't be one that walks off after so long, ideally it would be sitting p baying and off pretty close baying and dipping the shoulder in now and again giving the fox chance to bolt, if Charlie moves then keep onto it like a bad rash until he's forced to bolt. Iv seen shitty terriers mainly russells in hunt terriermens yards sit there a few feet off and bay body facing the fox head facing left or right shitting it's pants not even looking at the fox or if so with 1 eye and will come away a stubborn fox won't bolt, that's what some people call a bolter. Ok might be handy in rocks or undiggable places but they'd never have a space with me

• Like 1

The thing with bolting terriers or out an out sounders in my experience is that sooner or later if they get caught out with the sharp end,they don't like it ,and that can be the beginning of the end for them as digging dogs,also I find most lads who prefare a bolting terrier have little or no interest in digging to there dog but only see it as a tool to provide sport for other means,each to there own I suppose

• Like 2

How do you breed a particular dog to be a bolting dog? Iv heard lads say it's not a digging dog it's a bolter, but how does the dog know this?

a bolting terrier is not a failed digging terrier in my opinion.... a bolting terrier is a terrier if doing what it says on the tin will bolt its fox within the first 15 mins, if its a handy known run...if you stand back and be quiet.. depending on the particular burrow that the terrier is working.... if its rangey and difficult may take a terrier a bit to oust him out....but if he dont wanna run and willing to stay in his lair...the bolter turns into a stayer and no shifting...its a terrier...latin for earth! the bolter comes into it when you say hes bolted the last 15 out of 20... but if it dont wana shift we will open up to him very shortly... but he will stay!

• Like 5

If you need a saw, a hammer just won't do.

I've been out plenty of times were hounds have put foxes into the base of cliffs and into rock quarries. It's fine to say bolters are failed digging dogs.

But if you walk away from foxes in undiggable spots with your terrier, isn't your digging dog a failed bolter or rock dog?

There was a good thread on here about Rock Dogs, who on here has stood by a pile of rocks with their dog down amongst it and cursed a bolt??? Or sat for a few hours or longer in wind and rain delighted their dog didn't bolt?

It's all good if all your digs are diggable. Bryan.

• Like 2

That's my point stop end... I know lads that have terriers... That walk after 15 mins,they say aint a digging dog,bred to bolt... A terrier is born and it does what it does, it knows no different... It doesn't know to let fox pass, it doesn't know to give it space, it goes to earth, goes in and does what it does.. None of us know what goes on below, and can only presume.. But once a fox is bottled up, how can it pass a DECENT terrier."only way to me a fox can bolt is if terrier can't corner it

If terrier enters a spot and runs Charlie round a bit ,its in the lap of the gods as to whether he makes it to an entrance or is pressured to a stop end .Any dog will bolt a fox thats not been hunted .Lets not get all Plummer on the issue ,terriers have no concept of a bolt or a stay ,its either in them or its not .If the fox is pushed to a stop or found in one then the terrier is gauged by what happens next .If the dog is singing away nicely then all of a sudden gone ,either fox has gone over or dog has been pushed back .Its only a fox has been said before but if he wants out then it takes the right sort to say no .IMO it really is that cut and dried .

• Like 3

some terriers seem to get more bolts than other terriers even though they will stay. they just have a work style that suits this task. say your out with a mate you have three terriers all good at there job. and you come across a difficult place. you can make it hard or you can look at the terriers and say right what terrier is going to give us the best chance of a bolt here. The terrier you pick is likely to be your best bolter. its never black or white is with animals. Lines can and do cross . however if you make it known to the fox that there is trouble above the fox may decide to stick it out below therefore making it difficult for you to get the result. you wanted. . a bolt if at all possible and if not dig down. to the very same dog.

• Like 1

I think I must be getting the wrong end of the stick. A bolting terrier to me is one that will rattle around the earth and make all the right noises and usually bolt a fox, if not it will stay for ten minutes or so then come out. A staying dog will do its best to get to the fox and either the fox will bolt or it will go to a stop and get dug. Lads saying a good bolter will bolt it or stay till dug isn't a bolting dog imo!

• Like 5

I'm lost now also. It's digging dogs v bolting dogs nothing to do with a digging dog in a spot and Charlie bolts so then it's a bolter lol.

Ha general your just really throughin a spanner in the works there lad lol