Digging Dogs V Bolting Dogs

Not just the last poster but i never knew the terrier was in such deep shit these days .Seems to be a growing trend of jackers that own terriers ,the tyke dosnt stand a chance .Two ends of the spectrum breeding for opposites .So glad ive seen the best years TBH.

The best years are there to be had for anyone with the sense to live them mate, lifes what you make it, we wont be dragged down to their level, not real terrier lads. Proper terriers are here to stay mate dont worry bout that!
Seriously mate the best years are gone ,maybe its the advent of the internet that allows people access to a little bit of knowledge ,maybe we are breeding quitters that in turn like to own quitters ,maybe i should stop reading all this shite and not get so involved.
  • Like 3

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recon most of the time it's up to the fox what happens.....

I think a bolting terrier is a failed digging terrier. A bolting terrier will give up after so long which is what most men would class as a cull. I agree they have their uses and get the numbers up in

When a dog of any sort goes to a fox in a stop end ,the metal of the dog is measured whether you like it or not .If that fox then bolts the dog has been found wanting ,no ifs or buts,the fox has got o

Not just the last poster but i never knew the terrier was in such deep shit these days .Seems to be a growing trend of jackers that own terriers ,the tyke dosnt stand a chance .Two ends of the spectrum breeding for opposites .So glad ive seen the best years TBH.

The best years are there to be had for anyone with the sense to live them mate, lifes what you make it, we wont be dragged down to their level, not real terrier lads. Proper terriers are here to stay mate dont worry bout that!
Seriously mate the best years are gone ,maybe its the advent of the internet that allows people access to a little bit of knowledge ,maybe we are breeding quitters that in turn like to own quitters ,maybe i should stop reading all this shite and not get so involved.

That's exactly what I need to do stop reading this shite! Mainly idiots writing absolute nonsense

Dickens jumped on that bandwagon,then years later Plummer and Glover became Mudlarks.

I think the aim should be for a staying terrier and if any walk out then if there's someone who can use it then use it but if not then steralize it and pet home it or pts,they sure as shite shouldn't be bred from that's for sure.All a walk out dog or bolting dog is really is making use of another mans rubbish :yes: ,but what happens if the fox won't bolt after the dogs walked? ;) ..

Whilst I'm struggling to make sense of a lot of this thread, this makes a lot of sense to me.....there's still plenty of opportunity out there to work your terriers how you really want to, it's down to the individual to really want it.....

• Like 1

When a dog of any sort goes to a fox in a stop end ,the metal of the dog is measured whether you like it or not .If that fox then bolts the dog has been found wanting ,no ifs or buts,the fox has got over the dog or the dog has given ground to a spiteful quarry .Some very strange notions about concerning this but its very cut abd dried .Either your dog wants it or it dosnt .

i agree with you foxdropper, your point is the dog that lets a fox do its own thing in a hole is a dog lacking bottle. again i totally agree. but what i will say is that i know of a couple of terriers about that are all off the same litter. i have one of them. the bitch that i have off this litter will enter, locate and there will be very little movement once she is on, she will take alot of stick while she is at it and need a bit of rest after but will not come out and will not give him an inch, all is well with this bitch, i have had very few bolts with this bitch, its practically always dig. thats great and i know this bitch is tough, gutsy and determined.

now onto one of her sisters that the chap that digs with me keeps.... lol, she is smaller, tiny infact, more athletic type, real lively little thing, she will run down a hole without even smelling outside of it and have ran every bit of it while you would be still only walking upto it, everything is full speed with her. this bitch will very rarely get a mark on her, can be worked several times a day every day if you had the work and if she does get a tip it will only be very slight. you will hear her two fields away screaming at charlie once she finds him, somebody that didn't know her would think she was being slaughtered in there and wasn't going to last long!! but this bitch has bolted the majority of foxes she went to.... will quite happily sit and scream if he aint stirring and the dart up and back at him, she has yet to be seen to walk out of a hole while charlie was still in there, she also will have to be dug. weather she comes back from him when he comes to her from a pocket or what i dont know, but is she lacking somthing....yes, she is a cowardly little shit that minds herself! lacking guts to go up face on and take stick to finish job if needs be, but maybe she is clever and knows she will be got to which or weather and my bitch is just stupid and takes punishment and wont let charlie stir while her sister duckes and dives below but never stops screaming.

either way both are digging terriers and have not walked so far, one will bolt most of her foxes her sibling will not let them stir..... the goal at the end of the day is to account for the fox, if it can be done to good effect without working a shovel then so be it!!

• Like 2

Not just the last poster but i never knew the terrier was in such deep shit these days .Seems to be a growing trend of jackers that own terriers ,the tyke dosnt stand a chance .Two ends of the spectrum breeding for opposites .So glad ive seen the best years TBH

You have them that breed of shite backed up by more shite and have big mouths ,then you have them that say little and work one dog

• Like 1

By a "bolting" dog, do People mean a dog that an be called away/out ?

Because by reading this, that's exactly what they mean.

Let's not pretend you can call a wanker a "bolting dog".........that very unfair to the many good dogs who can also be called away (a handy tool in my opinion)

A busy dog that wants to find will get stuff moving, the difference in dogs is when the quarry has no where to go surely ?

And even then, the bravest of dogs can be a downright liability as they will smash themselves into recovery for 3 weeks every time you take them out.

A dog that wants to find and can find (rather than putting on a show of running an earth and pretending there's no one home!!), that will hassle and work it's quarry, that will play it sensible and bay away but has the courage and strength to get stuck when it needs to but that could also be called away would be a brilliant tool for anybody IMHO

I think people are talking about very different things here in my uneducated opinion.

Edited by WILF
  • Like 4

I guess at the end of the day (hate that saying )some peoples take on things are so diverse as to be unable to categorise a dog into either one or the other .Also a lad may set out to work a type and end up with another and for some as long as it grafts that's OK .My own views are very apparent but there has been days when I've been under the weather but still out ,when I've wished for a bolt that never happened but I guess weve all done that .There's a difference between a first encounter underground and the mark to which we dig to in that I'm convinced most first encounters are mid tube .That frantic baying ,sometimes just a grunt from the dog and scowl from fox can last a while and move ,not to be confused with a fox getting by .Let them settle before going in ,easy to say but for some impossible .Makes both dog and man appear second rate when they move .

• Like 1

I guess at the end of the day (hate that saying )some peoples take on things are so diverse as to be unable to categorise a dog into either one or the other .Also a lad may set out to work a type and end up with another and for some as long as it grafts that's OK .My own views are very apparent but there has been days when I've been under the weather but still out ,when I've wished for a bolt that never happened but I guess weve all done that .There's a difference between a first encounter underground and the mark to which we dig to in that I'm convinced most first encounters are mid tube .That frantic baying ,sometimes just a grunt from the dog and scowl from fox can last a while and move ,not to be confused with a fox getting by .Let them settle before going in ,easy to say but for some impossible .Makes both dog and man appear second rate when they move .

any man that uses his dog enough will know when it's time to go down after having the ear on the deck...aalso knowing the earth is a bonus. seen loads of lads start digging soon as the terrier starts baying, not even a decent steady mark just going 100mph digging some ugly hole and 9 times out of 10 they're digging more than once...1 thing I can't stand is rushing And it's even worse when people get over excited once broken through.
  • Like 6

Some people will say that the have, digging dog's but in my eyes the would only be facing easy game on all occasions and the say, ( brilliant fox dog) and half the time, it would be yapping about to ground, and I'd be expecting, a bolt. Your man, would say 'nnothing there' and next minute, a fox would fly out. I think your best to stick to what you know. And not other people shite.

Great debate lads. World wide www. hunting forum. :laugh: Now its all down to how good "bolting" terriers are at working charlie compared to "digging terriers" :victory:

Good Luck :laugh:

no its not, thats just my take on a bolting terrier, one that goes in and bolts more foxes than they have to be dug to.... seems the defination of a bolting terrier is interpreted different by lads on here, my take on it is a dog that consistantly gets the fox to bolt, not one that bolts himself and goes in and out for more 5 mins yapping....one that runs in and out yapping and arsing about or these 15minute dogs as they are referred to aren't imo bolting terriers, they are failed terriers.... a soft terrier that will stay till dug but put on enough pressure to force a bolt but not lock him up, let him move but stay up his arse is my defination of a bolting terrier.......

• Like 5

so what about the dog that kills nine out of ten. will wait at an occupied earth to be sent in. and call out . not committed. ? stay all day if need be. call out if need be. ive seen a dog that did. pile of shite /quiter/ na. full of crap. most of you are. :D

• Like 1