410 Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

f**k off, nobody wants to know.......   Dan very kindly invited me down for a keepers day last January. Picking up a double 410 for one woodland drive he managed to shoot more birds in that single

i've shot a rat on the bird table from 5 yards with a 12 bore. feck all left of it. And that included the bird table. Effective though

I have a synthetic Baikal single-shot .410 magnum, as they call 'em over here (means it will chamber anything up to 3" cartridges). I put a sling on it, and tend to carry it when I'm out firkling abou

What's your choice of cartridge for dispatch? 2 1/2 or 3" ? I use the smaller one as my .410 isn't moderated and with that size it just sounds like a loud banger. And I should add the 3" cartridges seem much much louder.

Edited by StephenWalsh

Very fond memories of an el cheapo "El Chimbo" folding single barrel hammer .410. Though the early memories were not quite so fond. After a few silly misses I patterned it only to find it shot high and was ridiculously tightly choked.

So I (er, had :whistling: )the barrel cut down to remove the choke.

It was brilliant for ferreting and when I was Keepering used it in preference to the 12bore on rough days as I could bump the bag up with a few low birds without blowing them to bits or anyone shaking their head at me.

I think the highlight of its career was two mallard with one shot,albeit at only 15 yards but I earned a round of applause.

I made the mistake of chopping it in when I inherited a couple of those old Belgian folders when a friend passed-away and stupidly thought I couldn't justify three four-tens in the cabinet. The Belgian things seem to have a bit of a cult following but though they look cute they are really pretty junky.

I also made a homemade silencer out of a combination of easily available house-hold items but I'd best not go into details :whistling:

Totally agree about the choke. I cut the choke off mine and it patterns so much better now. A lot more useful than the central clump and outer spattering of lead that it used to throw with the choked barrel.

• 1 month later...

got a whinchester cooey here great wee gun was in the gunshop and spotted it single barrel bit rough gave it a bit of tlc and a good clean and its spot on its proofed for 3inch mags i use it for despatch gun with the terriers and just a general vermin gun about the place and the best of all it was £30 quid with a free box of shells :thumbs:

• Like 2