So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

Just on with pickleing my first beets picked one row to night and think will get about 20 jars out of it another row to pick tomorrow night then a 2 week break, iv got 2 pressure cookers on the go !

Try them roasted lovely or make borsht soup very nice , can great them raw onto salads , it's a very versatile veg ,

She dose them rosted with balsamic vinegar and honey v nice

• Like 1

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

You are right Arry yours look well happy in there In my case it was simply a matter of laziness lol. I use the scaffold netting which was on them but I sort of threw it on. If your going to net y

I think my spuds are going well? Got some corn, some peas and beans going too, all new to this so no idea if they're growing well or not lol

Posted Images

Bit of rain and everything is going at a rate , even managed to get some peas in the freezer , first beets pickled , got some honey coloured ones to do this week never tried them before but they have grown a treat ..sweet corn is growing at a pace .Touch wood not had to much trouble with bugs and disease ...bet I've just jinxed it ..

post-81636-0-89875300-1498916592_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Can't find any tomato plants think am to late this year,

Our local charity shop had some for 20p each,

I left it to late to sow seed so I bought some from a different charity shop in another town other month couple ,labelled as moneymaker and some as black cherry as never tried them before, but I think they are all money maker lol

I've hardly had any strawberries. They would be nearly ripe in the morning so I would tell the kids they could pick em after school....by evening they would have lumps missing. I've got em netted so was convinced it was slugs.

Last night I saw a blackbird creeping under the edge of the net! b*****d must of destroyed 20 strawberries!

Well they offered me a third plot yesterday. I was in two minds as two is hard enough to keep ontop of. But I get it free this year then i want to keep it next year i would have to pay.

I decided to give it a go as it has some fruit tucked away which is worth picking. Plus it will be nice to cut down the weeds that keep blowing onto mine which is next door.

35502087442_c41fb00d48_c.jpg

I half expected to bump into david attenborough

34829906674_4cc26b205e_c.jpg

the initial plan was to just strim it and pinch all the fruit.

35540549541_d77b6e3bea_c.jpg

But I couldn't help but have a little dig

34829907934_609a8f7d55_c.jpg

35502086982_b5a057f10c_c.jpg

I was chuffed to see the soil was nice black crumbly stuff not like my other two which are very clay. They are both at the bottom of the hill and take an age to dry each spring. This one is up a bit and completely different soil.

It also has a green house :) might try and pick up a cucumber plant or some thing to pop in it

35502079702_d48d7f04d3_c.jpg

and its right next door to me old plot which is very handy

34861845273_d2130bfbd3_c.jpg

Edited by terryd
  • Like 4

Nice one Terry. The greenhouse will do you wonders. Strange but true. Our association doesn't allow glass but after the chairman put one up I decided to follow suit. How could they complain? Must admit it makes a big difference. Jok.

I've hardly had any strawberries. They would be nearly ripe in the morning so I would tell the kids they could pick em after school....by evening they would have lumps missing. I've got em netted so was convinced it was slugs.

Last night I saw a blackbird creeping under the edge of the net! b*****d must of destroyed 20 strawberries!

Yea I noticed them too