So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

Well son I'm going to ask a question. I'm not being judgemental by the way. They look like the result of using plugs. Same as trying it with beetroot and parsnip. If not then the soil has literally stopped the tap root going down. Too much stone?? Over watering?? You tried plugs didn't you? Jok

Well son I'm going to ask a question. I'm not being judgemental by the way. They look like the result of using plugs. Same as trying it with beetroot and parsnip. If not then the soil has literally stopped the tap root going down. Too much stone?? Over watering?? You tried plugs didn't you? Jok

Yep used plugs this year for the first time last two years ive used seed and they were pants , can't be stones you wouldn't be able to fill a tea cup if you turned my whole plot over . Not over watered . Why would plugs cause this as opposed to seed ?

• Like 1

Knew it. Right, think on this. Particularly carrot and parsnip as a a growing entity. Sow a seed and only one thing can happen. They grow naturally down as stamp root to find water. From sowing, nothing disturbs the root from going only one way, down. Now, when you put a plug in the ground , unless you have prepared a hole deep enough to take the entire rootstock then you have effectively stunted the root growth. Result. ? Exactly what you have shown us. The root no longer needs to seek nourishment further down. As you water, the plant accepts surface feeding and he ho curly carrots. Now then. Looking at my boxes, 2 things become evident. 1. The boxes give you about 18 inches above ground which means that the carrot fly will not penetrate. 2. You choose the mixture of soil and compost filling the box but ultimately it will be stone free which allows the root unrestricted growth downwards. Now that is the way forward. Jok.

Knew it. Right, think on this. Particularly carrot and parsnip as a a growing entity. Sow a seed and only one thing can happen. They grow naturally down as stamp root to find water. From sowing, nothing disturbs the root from going only one way, down. Now, when you put a plug in the ground , unless you have prepared a hole deep enough to take the entire rootstock then you have effectively stunted the root growth. Result. ? Exactly what you have shown us. The root no longer needs to seek nourishment further down. As you water, the plant accepts surface feeding and he ho curly carrots. Now then. Looking at my boxes, 2 things become evident. 1. The boxes give you about 18 inches above ground which means that the carrot fly will not penetrate. 2. You choose the mixture of soil and compost filling the box but ultimately it will be stone free which allows the root unrestricted growth downwards. Now that is the way forward. Jok.

How can I still need to learn stuff I'm 65 for fcuk sake , I should know every thing by now ...carrots in boxes next year ..

Out of likes , been a busy day .

• Like 1

Nice one son. You know it makes sense. Not only that, the young guns on here air having a little peek and thinking that's the way forward . Thing is, we are never too old to learn a thing or two so if anyone has further comments we are all ears. Jok.

• Like 1

tom well away in the back yard now

35752925271_34811a7a7b_c.jpg

35715090552_7a61c80d25_c.jpg

cucumbers coming along nice had one off so far nice too

35044728674_4b1c2207bb_c.jpg

had this one in the back yard and was on the verge of dieing so threw it in me new green house lobbed a bucket of water on it and it seems to have come to life

35715073092_a86cd46c42_c.jpg

started on my second earlies kestrel we love them in mash superb

35496372140_ea67bd1c17_c.jpg

some veg to go up to my daughter as she is doing her masters got to keep her well fed

35884199745_ffa0967fe2_c.jpg

35843417706_230e5815c2_c.jpg

and keeping the old compost heap stoked up

35752930091_96d2499743_c.jpg

• Like 3

Nearly at the end of 2nd earlies with one more row to go. Charlotte. What a great tasting potato. Before we know it, it'll be main crops and thinking about our winter veg. What a shame it goes so quickly. Jok.

I did notice yesterday in that particular patch the spuds were set in the clay like concrete no way to expand. If I had waited another 2 or 3 weeks the soil would have been better to dig over and not set hard

35843712026_c224342f85_c.jpg

but on the other hand the old blight has landed on some of the rows so it is game over but I don't care because I have a decent crop in the bag so it is swings and round abouts really

35715350802_ba0e19170c_c.jpg

I have one row of spuds that is under a net pure accident as it fell off the peas :laugh: and they have huge haulms for my standards anyway so if what is under the ground matches I will be chuffed. Looked forward to digging them up when the time comes

• Like 1

Our tomatoes are still green, we are wondering if we have a disease or something else because the tops of the plants are curled over and look deformed and didn't get any flowers. Lower down there are quite a lot of tomatoes though.

We rescued one of the cucumber plants which almost died and it's back to producing again, the other one is storming ahead still.

I took another load of chicken manure down today which helps with rotting the compost. Also cut a bagful of comfrey which puts another layer of good ness in the mix. My biggest job by far, at the moment, is something I didn't really think too much about. De Stoning. For some reason, we are no where near a river or brook course, the garden , at about a foot down, is full of river stones. Now I realise that it's good for drainage etc but whenever I rotovated or hand dig sections up they come and not small by any means. I'm trying to do about 4 square mets at a time but the volume of rubble is a problem. What to do with it? Hard old life this allotment. Love it. Jok.