So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

wow that looks bloody great :thumbs:

How are you tomatoes coming on now? You will have to share your secrets :laugh:

We've still only got a few little ones showing at the moment, we're getting a few peas and the beans are growing well, I don't know what we're going to do with all these cucumbers there's another 5 ready to pick and the courgettes are running riot as well. I think next year we will only need one of each plant and use the space for something else.

funny enough me and the wife were counting them tonight bloody loads. I have no secrets and don't have a clue. This is my first year with a green house so quite looking forward to see how they do. If I am honest I am expecting loads of blossom end rot and any other diseases going to hit me :)

• Like 1

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

You are right Arry yours look well happy in there In my case it was simply a matter of laziness lol. I use the scaffold netting which was on them but I sort of threw it on. If your going to net y

I think my spuds are going well? Got some corn, some peas and beans going too, all new to this so no idea if they're growing well or not lol

Posted Images

wow that looks bloody great :thumbs:

How are you tomatoes coming on now? You will have to share your secrets :laugh:

We've still only got a few little ones showing at the moment, we're getting a few peas and the beans are growing well, I don't know what we're going to do with all these cucumbers there's another 5 ready to pick and the courgettes are running riot as well. I think next year we will only need one of each plant and use the space for something else.

funny enough me and the wife were counting them tonight bloody loads. I have no secrets and don't have a clue. This is my first year with a green house so quite looking forward to see how they do. If I am honest I am expecting loads of blossom end rot and any other diseases going to hit me :)

Some good info on how to avoid that here https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=395

I hope our toms start catching up, the plants look healthy enough and there's plenty of flowers.

Gardening doesn't get much better than standing in the allotment eating sugar snap peas straight from the plant ...seems a waste of time cooking them ..

I started discovering empty pea shells down there a few days ago so it looks like the wife has been munching her way through them and not sharing her bounty lol

• Like 2

Gardening doesn't get much better than standing in the allotment eating sugar snap peas straight from the plant ...seems a waste of time cooking them ..

I started discovering empty pea shells down there a few days ago so it looks like the wife has been munching her way through them and not sharing her bounty lol

I discovered last year my wife doing the same thing but was in cahoots with the lab who was eating the shells , there was me thinking I needed to brush up on my gardening skills but in truth needed to update the security ...

I discovered last year my wife doing the same thing but was in cahoots with the lab who was eating the shells , there was me thinking I needed to brush up on my gardening skills but in truth needed to update the security ...

I have no likes....again!

That is hilarious, does your Lab eat carrots as well? We were going to grow some but then I thought he might discover them, dig the plot up and eat the lot....there are few things our Lab likes more than a carrot, I think given a choice between a steak & carrot the carrot would probably win :laugh:

Labs....who'd have em!

It was only place I could put it at the time terry lol, the wall is actually next doors brick shed, but when this place had extension put on,

(way before we moved in)

They took half of their back garden so their sheds in our garden with the dividing fence just coming off the side of it by the shed door.

• Like 1

Tell you what lads and lassies. I'm enjoying the fruits of labour so much. I know we have all said this in former posts but it is just fantastic to be eating home grown vegetables, with so much taste and variety. Arran Pilot and Charlotte new potatoes, (knocking shit out of Jrsey Royals), fresh cabbage, peas, courgette, carrots, not to mention all the salad crop. I've grown a new variety of purple pea which is cropping very well. My garlic succomned to the rust but bulbs look and feel ok. The new (old) greenhouse is now up and running with the usual but in addition some aubergine plants. I've left my early beetroot rows as sown so looks like loads of baby roots and have two rows which hopefully will fill out to full beets. Leeks are about as thick as your thumb and may have been helped by re watering (filling the holes). Fingers crossed with the Brussels as put them in a bit of harder ground which I believe they like. Plants do look promising . Just got delivery of some Christmas cauliflower which are self blanching and will be putting them in tomorrow. That's about my lot for now I reckon. Hope you all enjoying your allotment. Don't forget the outdoor chairs and slabs of Amber nectar. Happy days. Jok.

• Like 4

Tell you what lads and lassies. I'm enjoying the fruits of labour so much. I know we have all said this in former posts but it is just fantastic to be eating home grown vegetables, with so much taste and variety. Arran Pilot and Charlotte new potatoes, (knocking shit out of Jrsey Royals), fresh cabbage, peas, courgette, carrots, not to mention all the salad crop. I've grown a new variety of purple pea which is cropping very well. My garlic succomned to the rust but bulbs look and feel ok. The new (old) greenhouse is now up and running with the usual but in addition some aubergine plants. I've left my early beetroot rows as sown so looks like loads of baby roots and have two rows which hopefully will fill out to full beets. Leeks are about as thick as your thumb and may have been helped by re watering (filling the holes). Fingers crossed with the Brussels as put them in a bit of harder ground which I believe they like. Plants do look promising . Just got delivery of some Christmas cauliflower which are self blanching and will be putting them in tomorrow. That's about my lot for now I reckon. Hope you all enjoying your allotment. Don't forget the outdoor chairs and slabs of Amber nectar. Happy days. Jok.

Nice, we were just talking about doing aubergines next year. We haven't started anything for autumn or winter yet so we are going to start researching what we can plant now.

I took a break from Sunday to Tuesday since the weather was so nice, i worked on Wednesday and yesterday and today back at the chipper, trying to clear all this waste before I start tackling more on the Jungle :laugh:

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder if you lot are on the same drug as me ffs. I can't seem to stay away from the garden even though I've a lovely garden set up at home. I sit down the allotment,listening and watching the wildlife, smelling the smells, drinking the atmosphere and of course the cider, listen to the silly banter and generally putting the world to rights. It's an idyllic place where you can either disappear into your shed or greenhouse and forget all the Worldly woes.(when deep sea diving that was my favourite mantra, when down there you are incapable of surface thought. All you could consider was what was in front of you, no mortgage, bailiffs or other problems). The garden is a place of solitude if that is what you want or indeed a place of fun and enjoyment with like minded folks. Maudling a bit but that's how I feel. Jok.

• Like 2

I sometimes wonder if you lot are on the same drug as me ffs. I can't seem to stay away from the garden even though I've a lovely garden set up at home. I sit down the allotment,listening and watching the wildlife, smelling the smells, drinking the atmosphere and of course the cider, listen to the silly banter and generally putting the world to rights. It's an idyllic place where you can either disappear into your shed or greenhouse and forget all the Worldly woes.(when deep sea diving that was my favourite mantra, when down there you are incapable of surface thought. All you could consider was what was in front of you, no mortgage, bailiffs or other problems). The garden is a place of solitude if that is what you want or indeed a place of fun and enjoyment with like minded folks. Maudling a bit but that's how I feel. Jok.

Yes working in the garden does me the world of good, I work from home doing 12 hour shifts in front of a computer which is pretty horrible. Every time I get some time off I am out there doing something, the veg is all sorted for now so we usually go down in the afternoon to have a potter and look at how everything has grown since yesterday. My main focus at the moment is cutting back the overgrown garden but I enjoy that a lot even though it's backbreaking because I can see the improvement immediately. After our afternoon check up on the veg we wanted round the garden and talk about what we're going to do next, we have a lot of space we don't really use so I think we will have a much bigger veg patch next year. I put some bird feeders out a few days ago and they're going wild under that tree so I like to sit in a chair with my camera and watch them. It's very very therapeutic and you're right...it keeps the mind focused away from all the rubbish going on in the world :)

• Like 1