So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

This was some photos from last year

Looks a very good use of a tight space to me fella, how did the veg fair up? Did the proximity of others affect the crop?

No all my veg was well formed. The foliage on top gets very thick and tall because it's crammed in. It just makes watering a bit tricker because you can't see the soil. No problem really though aslong as you plan it first. I.e. Big stuff at the back, in my case this year the potatoes, and less dense stuff at the front, which is my leeks, onion and garlic. It is a cracking way to get a good yield though.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

When it come to planting the taller the plant the further north it goes. Except for tall peas and runner beans. They should be planted in a N S direction and on the western side of the ground as far as is possible for obvious reasons.

TC

When it come to planting the taller the plant the further north it goes. Except for tall peas and runner beans. They should be planted in a N S direction and on the western side of the ground as far as is possible for obvious reasons.

TC

Yeah your absolutely correct. I was using my situation as an example, an east facing garden. I've got a garage right behind the bed which the sun disappears over in the afternoon. Limited sunlight so every bit counts. That's why I step mine like that.

• Like 1

I have been looking in to this no dig type of gardening, I think it could work for me. The "gardens" each side of me do well as wildlife sanctuaries. The last five years I have not really bothered as the chap down wind of me does not cut his garden until all the dandelions and docks have seeded. It was really disheartening to clear the beds of weeds and a week after the first rain have to go through them all again because he cannot be arsed to keep his garden cut.

I think with the no dig method I could stay on top of the weeds on the beds even though they are being bombarded with wind blown seed. Anyway it has rekindled my enthusiasm for what I thought was a lost cause.

TC

definitely give it a go "it does work " the first couple of years are the worst , im screwed up with arthritis and manage 17 beds no problem, certainly enough produced for 2 people for most of the year veg and a fair amount of soft fruit "struggled with apples and canker" but the soft fruit does fine had over 30kg strawberries last year from a bed 10'x5'

• Like 3

Had a busy day today got peas moved out side, sowed direct cabbage, cauli, parsnip, swede, radish, leeks and garlic. Got some tattys in ground too. Plus cut up and split a load of wood from a willow that fell on the lane this week. Backs in bits now!

• Like 2

No dig bed no 1 done now. Didn't need the cardboard as it was clean anyway but no harm. Got a good layer of well rotted compost down

33244066403_d9797b3782_c.jpg

33670937330_a74a6e4999_c.jpg

so be interesting to see how that fares now

The other no dig patch is using the other approach when its plastered in couchgrass and you need to cover it a long time. Plastic or what ever down then after six months uncover

33671021580_33af22cf49_c.jpg

a good layer of manure

33213165954_2c17d3ddc9_c.jpg

33898705172_a12ef69790_c.jpg

then cover backup and just plant squashes through the fabric until winter then that should be it done.

planted out some cauliflowers

33213181694_1292c05e05_c.jpg

onions away

33898740542_a3ba46f8e2_c.jpg

lettuce and beets love getting going under this plastic cloche I must get another

33670967760_df6ba6d2c3_c.jpg

every thing on target really

33671070930_3f960feea4_c.jpg

• Like 2

No dig bed no 1 done now. Didn't need the cardboard as it was clean anyway but no harm. Got a good layer of well rotted compost down

33244066403_d9797b3782_c.jpg

33670937330_a74a6e4999_c.jpg

so be interesting to see how that fares now

The other no dig patch is using the other approach when its plastered in couchgrass and you need to cover it a long time. Plastic or what ever down then after six months uncover

33671021580_33af22cf49_c.jpg

a good layer of manure

33213165954_2c17d3ddc9_c.jpg

33898705172_a12ef69790_c.jpg

then cover backup and just plant squashes through the fabric until winter then that should be it done.

planted out some cauliflowers

33213181694_1292c05e05_c.jpg

onions away

33898740542_a3ba46f8e2_c.jpg

lettuce and beets love getting going under this plastic cloche I must get another

33670967760_df6ba6d2c3_c.jpg

every thing on target really

33671070930_3f960feea4_c.jpg

Looking good fella.

p.s. That is the poshest allotments I have ever seen! Does prince charles have one of the plots or summat?!

Finished digging today so now its all easy for the rest of year. Got both plots looking tidy for a change and all in order. Sowed some more carrots today and sorrel,

34064201472_95342ab38f_c.jpg

Got loads on the go now. The green house I can just about step in the door and thats me lot. Get this cold spell out the way next week and we should be set.

Next doors rasberry have crept across but they can stay I love raspberries also last years chard still going strong

34090662291_a1f1c7f904_c.jpg

could do with some nice rain now to get things moving

33837322270_0d7e1a2a6e_c.jpg

34090658891_b7c6176a90_c.jpg

33410785783_c179428721_c.jpg

spuds keep peeping through and I keep covering not getting caught out this year

• Like 1

I'm much too late for that Terry. My spuds are way above the ridges. I put my first lot of runner beans in last week and they are climbing as we speak. I must be mad LOL. Same as yourself I got caught out big style last year but did' learn my lesson. Peas are looking good, beetroot through, onions have taken hold and in the greenhouse toms have first trusses albeit only about 18" high. Strange for the time of year, I got stung by a wasp last week, in my greenhouse. Hurt like heck.jok.

• Like 1

yea they pack a wallop jok lol. I went running up me allotment path one day hitting my self on me head

Lots in the green house and cold frame just need this cold spell to pass and we can crack on. Got more toms than i need by a long shot. Will be trying some up the plot outside. Got a variety called crimson crush which apparently are blight proof so be interesting to see

33883613060_40ae6c48c2_c.jpg

34136670411_45f6ef887f_c.jpg

34227166846_5f7e5e0c63.jpg

34267376675_5af7ce4265_c.jpg

• Like 2

With tongue in cheek I went down this morning fully expecting the worst. Family scraped the cars so I thought that's my lot. Maybe there is a good man above because as we speak there is no damage. I know it could be a day or two but I'm thinking lucky. As always Terry, there's always a fallback so not too concerned. You are looking good to go. Just get these next 2 weeks out of the way. Jok.

One bad frost this week and a couple of spuds had poked through that night and got nipped but nothing to worry about. Could really do with a dam good night of rain. Pretty dry at the moment.

Ordered a variegated Daubenton perennial kale last night. Bit pricey but should get years out of it and nice see. Once its established hopefully get a few cuttings going then if any one wants one

Should look like this once its settled

8f902507c35335139676cb36b6f6cf81.jpg

• Like 2