So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

yes constant learning curve I cock some thing up every year

I can't move in my greenhouse at the moment

33951660175_8781c917af_c.jpg

33821611011_392fb60960_c.jpg

cold frame is doing its thing well. Got some nice cauliflower plants waiting. Clubroot resistant too thank god

33138497893_f7ff9aa894_c.jpg

• Like 1

Terry. You are far too polite my friend. Mikey clearly has a problem with space which makes it nigh on impossible to grow progressive crops. At a guess he would be better staying with salad crop till June and then have a go with one or two winter crops. Rotation is always going to be his problem so with such a small area stick to quick growing veg. Only an opinion. As an aside, am doing pretty good with mine all mains in and I've decided not to touch last years potatoe area in favour of reasonably solid ground for my brassicas. Garlics are looking brill and generally speaking everything's on song. Jok.

Terry. You are far too polite my friend. Mikey clearly has a problem with space which makes it nigh on impossible to grow progressive crops. At a guess he would be better staying with salad crop till June and then have a go with one or two winter crops. Rotation is always going to be his problem so with such a small area stick to quick growing veg. Only an opinion. As an aside, am doing pretty good with mine all mains in and I've decided not to touch last years potatoe area in favour of reasonably solid ground for my brassicas. Garlics are looking brill and generally speaking everything's on song. Jok.

I'm still learning. This is my 3rd season. My first setup was only a cheap 3 foot x 3 foot raised bed kit. Divided it into 9 squares, and grew leeks, onion, parsnips and carrots. 16 to a square foot! Had an outstanding yield of veg! All well formed stuff. Problem last year was the amount of variety I grew, large stuff next to small. Things got shaded out and died. That's why it's simple this year. I will post pics as it progresses but I've got a good feeling this year.

cold frame is doing its thing well. Got some nice cauliflower plants waiting. Clubroot resistant too thank god

Ah what I would give for a greenhouse! The missus keeps me on a tight leash with this sort of stuff, if it was up to me the whole garden would be used for beds and poly tunnels!

Ah what I would give for a greenhouse! The missus keeps me on a tight leash with this sort of stuff, if it was up to me the whole garden would be used for beds and poly tunnels!

aye me too. I was gifted a polycarbonate one and hopefully i get some decent toms this year :)

Terry, in your last pic you have a small 3-4 inch round pot with tag saying leeks (i think) it looks rammed with em, is that how you start em off and prick em out as they grow or is it just a deceptive pic? I have tried to spread mine out in seed trays.....first go from seed.

I have been looking in to this no dig type of gardening, I think it could work for me. The "gardens" each side of me do well as wildlife sanctuaries. The last five years I have not really bothered as the chap down wind of me does not cut his garden until all the dandelions and docks have seeded. It was really disheartening to clear the beds of weeds and a week after the first rain have to go through them all again because he cannot be arsed to keep his garden cut.

I think with the no dig method I could stay on top of the weeds on the beds even though they are being bombarded with wind blown seed. Anyway it has rekindled my enthusiasm for what I thought was a lost cause.

TC

Terry, in your last pic you have a small 3-4 inch round pot with tag saying leeks (i think) it looks rammed with em, is that how you start em off and prick em out as they grow or is it just a deceptive pic? I have tried to spread mine out in seed trays.....first go from seed.

Yes they are leeks I find them quite easy and just chuck a handful in a pot and let them get on with it. Then once the spuds are out plant them out.

They are pretty easy going.

To tie in with that I was watching a video yesterday of sowing multiple seeds in modules and it certainly works well for this fella. I will give it a go

I have been looking in to this no dig type of gardening, I think it could work for me. The "gardens" each side of me do well as wildlife sanctuaries. The last five years I have not really bothered as the chap down wind of me does not cut his garden until all the dandelions and docks have seeded. It was really disheartening to clear the beds of weeds and a week after the first rain have to go through them all again because he cannot be arsed to keep his garden cut.

I think with the no dig method I could stay on top of the weeds on the beds even though they are being bombarded with wind blown seed. Anyway it has rekindled my enthusiasm for what I thought was a lost cause.

TC

Have you ever tried a mulch mate? My bed had weeds last year. I've kept carpet over it all through the winter to stop weeds, now once all my seeds have sprouted and got a good growth on them I will be mulching with straw this year. Hopefully keep weeds away and keep the soil moist. It dried out very quickly last year.

TC

tell me about it :laugh:

17759578459_d2c2a627eb_c.jpg

• Like 1

I'm still learning. This is my 3rd season. My first setup was only a cheap 3 foot x 3 foot raised bed kit. Divided it into 9 squares, and grew leeks, onion, parsnips and carrots. 16 to a square foot! Had an outstanding yield of veg! All well formed stuff. Problem last year was the amount of variety I grew, large stuff next to small. Things got shaded out and died. That's why it's simple this year. I will post pics as it progresses but I've got a good feeling this year.

As space seems to be a problem have you any room for tubs containers etc round the patio /garden. Try beetroot spinach salad onion lettuce chard radish herbs short rooted carrots all do well in containers. Dont grow a glut of them a batch at a time. Maybe tomatoes in hanging baskets just a thought and good luck this season. :thumbs:

• Like 1