So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

sorted the seeds out in order of sowing this morning,got a new heated propagator on the bench "think the lights might draw a bit of attention though :laugh::laugh: and going to grow the peppers in pots this year on staging to hopefully give them a bit more light on the back side of the GH

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dq011ccuhf4buny/2017-02-18%2013.27.32.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7objse5covqroxd/2017-02-18%2013.28.17.jpg?dl=0

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

Hit a bit of a snag. DORIS? Just put the poly over the frames and anchored it with a few odds and ends thinking go back today to secure. Mmm. Wrong. Albeit I didn't lose it but it certainly caused me a few problems. I've tried my best to secure but am thinking maybe it won't be there in the morning. Jok.

Not seen any club root, we got rats lol behind where I was standing is the dual carriageway that runs from Ross on wye to Newport , then out of camera shot is the river wye ,then to the right is the river monnow so between the river banks and the discarded food from vehicles we got plenty of the vermin. Under the old apple tree are my compost heaps ,going to get a sieve and go through them as to much soil in them and rats are living in there.

swap my club root for your rats any day though I have both anyway :laugh:

• Like 1

Not seen any club root, we got rats lol behind where I was standing is the dual carriageway that runs from Ross on wye to Newport , then out of camera shot is the river wye ,then to the right is the river monnow so between the river banks and the discarded food from vehicles we got plenty of the vermin. Under the old apple tree are my compost heaps ,going to get a sieve and go through them as to much soil in them and rats are living in there.

Forest, you wouldn't be cultivating a few scaly tails for when that terrier pup is ready would you? lol

Agree with Terryd, looks a nice little plot.

lol don't need to Monmouth riddled with bloody rats!
  • Like 1

Been down the allotment this morning.One hell of a sh@tty day for it with all this wind and rain.Still,the mind was willing so off I trotted.Only managed to get my onion sets in but its progress none the less.Was having better luck in my new walk in greenhouse,until the pup decided to play tug of war with it and rip the cover from the seam's.So not much joy so far I'm afraid,yet forever the optimist,and there's still time yet!!!

I'll have another look in the morning pal. One of my mates just rang me and said I've still all my slabs ffs. Nothing that can't be re-done so I'm not bleating. Glad I haven't any marquees up that's for sure. Jok.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

You learn something every day you are breathing. I read today in a gardening magazine that you should leave all the chits on early potatoes but restrict main crop to 3 chits which gives a higher yield of tubers. Now, clearly I'm thick. The farmers round me employ loads of European labour but to date, I've never heard of any of them cleaning seed potatoes prior to setting. All the crop goes to a certain frozen food company so Inwould imagine tuber size is uber important. Any thoughts gents? Jok.

You learn something every day you are breathing. I read today in a gardening magazine that you should leave all the chits on early potatoes but restrict main crop to 3 chits which gives a higher yield of tubers. Now, clearly I'm thick. The farmers round me employ loads of European labour but to date, I've never heard of any of them cleaning seed potatoes prior to setting. All the crop goes to a certain frozen food company so Inwould imagine tuber size is uber important. Any thoughts gents? Jok.

Jok for processing tuber size is not really that important what is more important is shape. At the moment I am using a chipping / crisping potato called Lady Amarilla. Has wonderful chipping properties, but this batch has been subject to secondary growth therefore has been downgraded and around £3 a bag cheaper because of it. It means more work cleaning, therefore a drop in yield, but the resulting product is still first class.

Processing companies have to have a minimum yield from each tonne of potatoes, if for any reason they cannot reach that yield the crop is either downgraded or rejected. Even though the potatoes I am using at the moment are £3 per bag cheaper because of the downgrade it is still more per tonne than the farmer would get for downgraded processing potatoes.

TC

Well f**k me sideways. I honestly thought that a seed potatoe was a seed potatoe. I'll now change everything my great grandfather, my grandfather, my father and all the fellows I've ever met down the allotment and elsewhere have. Taught me. I'm now hoping for a super crop. Thanks for the heads up. Lol. Jok

That's it. The rotovator started first pull, nobody more shocked than me, and I did about 1/3 rd of the allotment. Took about a couple of hours but well worth it. Set 2 rows of Arran Pilot so am on the way. Jok.

• Like 1

Still wet with us and no point having stuff sat in cold wet ground. So sitting tight at the moment and knocking the stuffing out of an old bramble hedge that bugs me every summer and keeps scratching folks cars when they drive by. So digging the lot out

Oh I did plant some horseradish roots today

Edited by terryd