What Does Being British Mean To You?

Potato famine. lol

Sorry Jonjon79......you put Irish and British in the same sentence there. You must have made a typo.

Most people in Britain have no idea what the famine was or what it actually meant.

A million + starved to death and the same again having to emigrate.......they dont know about any of that.

It means nothing if you don't explain mate ;)

a British author this year released a book about the potato famine in 1845 and he wanted to set the record straight and denounce the tales from the Irish that the British deliberately let them starve by exporting all the other crops back to Britain. While doing his research he found out that it was true and he went ahead and published his book stating that the British/English did in fact cause the famine and 1 million plus died and a few million emigrated as a result.
I have been to the famine museum and its shocking when you know the fact, more shocking still is that we treated people who live 50 miles away from the mainland and are exactly the same ethnically worse than we treated some of the fuzzy wuzzys in darkest Africa.

The Irish were held in no regard at all that's as plain as day.

wasn't all bad wilf, they had soup kitchens and fed you if you converted to a protestant lol.

Atb j

• Like 2

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To me it's the indomitable spirit in the face of adversity where we Brits historically come to our own.   The Battle Of Britain fighter pilots outnumbered 4-1 but still went up every day and fought

The best thing about being British is that you dont have to be American.

Being British to me is walking and hunting the lad my grandparents did,drinking the same Ale in the same pubs they did.Visiting every corner of our Isle and exploring the fauna and flora.Having the ha

Posted Images

The reason we have no idea about it in Britain is that we don't even get taught our own history never mind irelands and it's as simple as that mate

• Like 2

the welsh are the true pure Britons according to research .scientists were able to trace there dna back to the first tribes to that settle in the british isles after the last ice age over 10,000 years ago

Don't forget the north west and Scotland! Very old DNA lines ;)
funny you mention that mate.Watched a thing other week about settlers on the Orkney islands from many many years ago.

cant remember the exact date but it was an age.

@wilf i knew about the famine and the british exporting the grain to the colonies. Dark period of our history. The scots in the highlands were treated just as shabbily.

But unlike some its irrelevant in 2017. There some up here vote for independence solely for what happened back then. f***ing idiots.

we certianly learned about english history up here in nottighamshire,,,wilf,,,i knew about the potatoe famin,,,and the highland clearances,,,not to mention all the old battles and wars,,,and all the difrent kings and queens,,,, i could remember the dates,,,the kings names,,,but could never remember which went with which

Edited by TOMO

Potato famine. lol

Sorry Jonjon79......you put Irish and British in the same sentence there. You must have made a typo.

Most people in Britain have no idea what the famine was or what it actually meant.

A million + starved to death and the same again having to emigrate.......they dont know about any of that.

a British author this year released a book about the potato famine in 1845 and he wanted to set the record straight and denounce the tales from the Irish that the British deliberately let them starve by exporting all the other crops back to Britain. While doing his research he found out that it was true and he went ahead and published his book stating that the British/English did in fact cause the famine and 1 million plus died and a few million emigrated as a result.
I have been to the famine museum and its shocking when you know the fact, more shocking still is that we treated people who live 50 miles away from the mainland and are exactly the same ethnically worse than we treated some of the fuzzy wuzzys in darkest Africa.

wasn't all bad wilf, they had soup kitchens and fed you if you converted to a protestant lol.

Atb j

starving was the better option of the 2 ??

There's two little villages here where I live. One is called soupers and the other jumpers. And even to this day its a very touchey subject between them. Its one of the greatest insults to be called one or the other lol.

Atb j

• Like 1

Potato famine. lol

Atb j

starving was the better option of the 2

now now lol

we certianly learned about english history up here in nottighamshire,,,wilf,,,i knew about the potatoe famin,,,and the highland clearances,,,not to mention all the old battles and wars,,,and all the difrent kings and queens,,,, i could remember the dates,,,the kings names,,,but could never remember which went with which

Nope, never did it round my way mate and neither did my kids.........shocking really.

Any officianados who study Military History will know that GT Britain was involved in one conflict or another every 25 years from the early 17 century even post 1947 they had conflicts in Ireland, Rhodesia Belize, Falklands Afghanistan Iraq Syria not to Mention Suez, Cyprus and several of the African Countries .

Edited by desertbred

Well, you know how it is with Brits abroad ! Lol

I am not counting Ibiza, the Costas and the Lager louts they were only saturday skirmishes :laugh: Now they are reigniting and opening old wounds with the French and Germans over European exit LOL must be Europe was to quiet

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 1

But the Queen is German......her family came from the Gotha family. They changed their name because of sentiment during the 2nd World War.

Ever get the feeling those wars were all about making the rich richer?

I mean, did you know Germany invaded Poland because Poland was shooting down German passenger planes. The German people begged Hitler to stop the Polish and Hitler wrote to the humanitarian court and NATO countries asking to intervene. The Polish shoot down another plane so the Germans took the matter into their own hands.

You were never taught that in school I bet!

Edited by RTurlough

But the Queen is German......her family came from the Gotha family. They changed their name because of sentiment during the 2nd World War.

Ever get the feeling those wars were all about making the rich richer?

I mean, did you know Germany invaded Poland because Poland was shooting down German passenger planes. The German people begged Hitler to stop the Polish and Hitler wrote to the humanitarian court and NATO countries asking to intervene. The Polish shoot down another plane so the Germans took the matter into their own hands.

You were never taught that in school I bet!

:hmm: desertbed will know , he knows all the conflicts of started wars , he knows all that stuff, see what he says on the above thread ?

Lol it wasnt taught cz that's nonsense

Germany invaded poland because the poles immobilised there troops on the border 2days before.

The poles and germans were always at loggerheads. Poles were even dececrating old german grave yards for gold wedding bands. Incidentally the russians invaded from the east of Poland. Nothing to do with passenger planes.

oh and nato wasn't even formed until 1949.

invasion of poland was a land grab. (Lebensraum) A well orchestrated pact with stalin.

• Like 3