cattle dog and kelpie x ?

I was just wandering does anybody have any pics of these x s and few comments on their working ability as i havnt heard or seen much about them since ive joined this site thanks

CANNOT COMMENT ON KELPIES BUT I HAVE EXPERIENCE OF AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOGS & I CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY [NO TEXT TALK] WOULD BREED FROM SUCH A STOCKY & THICKSET DOG. OBVIOUSLY THE MAIN IDEA OF BREEDING FROM A PASTORAL BREED WOULD BE 4 RABBITING BUT A 1ST CROSS IN THE MAIN WOULD LACK THE SPEED OR AGILITY NEEDED.THERES IS ANOTHER POINT THAT AN AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG LACKS/SUPRISINGLY THEY LACK A GOOD SCENTING ABILITY/WHICH IS VITAL IN A WORKING LURCHER.DONT JUST TAKE MY WORD ON THIS.U CAN CHECK IT IN JOHN HOLMES BOOK ON A C D,s,AS HE & HIS WIFE WERE AMONGST THE 1ST IMPORTERS OF THE BREED & A TOP CLASS DOG TRAINER.

I have had ACD crosses for 16 years and have had 1st cross and now GREY/WHIP/ACD, during this time they have been used for lamping, ferreting and mooching.

The First cross although heavy were very quick and agile, caught hundreds on the lamp, ferreted well and caught loads mooching, yes using their nose, quartering like a spaniel, and would hunt any scent.

They have also be used for larger quarry with great success.

I have no wish to enter a debate on the merits of Mr and Mrs Holmes as trainers but these dogs out in the field are very good workers, I know who have had pups from years ago and currently ask them about the dogs working ability.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers mate shes 2nd generation cattle dog greyhound. Atb Adam 

Posted Images

End Game. The 1st Cross i had off Fireman has a fantastic nose and is pretty fast for a 1st Cross as it goes, he is alot faster than he looks.

Wild Rover or Chalkwarren are the best 2 Lads to comment on this, they have worked this type of cross for a long time and are both very experienced Lurcher Men.

I let my Mate take my Young Dog (after much much begging).

He doesnt work and is out all the time Mooching,Snaring,Trapping etc.... and the Dog is with him 24/7, he could give the Dog alot more work than i ever could, i work full time and have a mortgage to pay etc....

I really like this Cross and would i have another?????? TO F*CKING RIGHT WOULD I :thumbs:

I was just wandering does anybody have any pics of these x s and few comments on their working ability as i havnt heard or seen much about them since ive joined this site thanks

CANNOT COMMENT ON KELPIES BUT I HAVE EXPERIENCE OF AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOGS & I CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY [NO TEXT TALK] WOULD BREED FROM SUCH A STOCKY & THICKSET DOG. OBVIOUSLY THE MAIN IDEA OF BREEDING FROM A PASTORAL BREED WOULD BE 4 RABBITING BUT A 1ST CROSS IN THE MAIN WOULD LACK THE SPEED OR AGILITY NEEDED.THERES IS ANOTHER POINT THAT AN AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG LACKS/SUPRISINGLY THEY LACK A GOOD SCENTING ABILITY/WHICH IS VITAL IN A WORKING LURCHER.DONT JUST TAKE MY WORD ON THIS.U CAN CHECK IT IN JOHN HOLMES BOOK ON A C D,s,AS HE & HIS WIFE WERE AMONGST THE 1ST IMPORTERS OF THE BREED & A TOP CLASS DOG TRAINER.

Sure, they are stocky but they are very agile. My bitch is A.C.D. crossed with a small lurcher so is not fast enough for long chases but is lightening fast over the first few yards which is great in a bushing or ferreting dog. She will jump anything and is full of prey drive yet is very biddable.

Endgame mate i won't be owning a lurcher untill i find a acd or kelpie x,my bitch i lost was the nearest thing i ever seen or read about to an old school pot filling/mooching/companion dog.She'd see someone a mile away and let me know they were there,she'd catch a ferreted rabbit,bend a hare as good as anything else i've seen given she was a 1/2 cross(within a 100 yrd slip),brought back pigeons live,retrieve cwd single handed and without doubt she'd have put her life on the line for me without question.Might sound i'm being a bit wet about her but she really was a first class bitch in the making and as i'm now in the know how can i choose anything else? :thumbs: ,i'd say it's the same with the other owners of these types of dogs,once experianced, allways loyal to them :notworthy::clapper:.

Endgame mate i won't be owning a lurcher untill i find a acd or kelpie x,my bitch i lost was the nearest thing i ever seen or read about to an old school pot filling/mooching/companion dog.She'd see someone a mile away and let me know they were there,she'd catch a ferreted rabbit,bend a hare as good as anything else i've seen given she was a 1/2 cross(within a 100 yrd slip),brought back pigeons live,retrieve cwd single handed and without doubt she'd have put her life on the line for me without question.Might sound i'm being a bit wet about her but she really was a first class bitch in the making and as i'm now in the know how can i choose anything else? :thumbs: ,i'd say it's the same with the other owners of these types of dogs,once experianced, allways loyal to them :notworthy::clapper:.

Fireman no chance of a repeat mating from the ACD. All the best. WR.

I'm affraid not mate,the acd bitch wasn't mine and i found a new home(polo pony stables in the new forest,with 2 other acd's) for her after the pups left.Might take me some time to find another but great things come to those that wait :victory:

I'm affraid not mate,the acd bitch wasn't mine and i found a new home(polo pony stables in the new forest,with 2 other acd's) for her after the pups left.Might take me some time to find another but great things come to those that wait :victory:

Hi fireman,

do you know other acd x breeders beside you?

And by the way do you know Simon Dixon?

He is mentioned in the Coney Catcher 3 video as a ACD x Breeder.

Magyar Agar

Hi fireman,

Magyar Agar

Hello mate, I know Simon hes a good friend, my stock is some of the last remaining ones bred from his line, i had one of the originals bred in 93, he no longer has lurchers, he field trials spaniels and trains all types of gundogs.

fireman if im free on the weekend i will take you oev the farm to have a look at them pups the dog is already spken for from what im told but the others are still up for grabs shall give you a shout or pop over like you say they are always worth a look and on sat found out father is a lurcher dont know make up of him long grey coat on him takes a few for the pot so the chap that owns him says and the mother is a kelpi collie x see the pups smart looking little things so shall give ya a shout if im about. atb willum ps hope the partridges went down ok will have some more if you fancy in a couple of weeks.

1st OF ALL I MADE NO MENTION OF KELPIES,SIMPLY THAT I HAVE EXPERIENCE OF AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOGS,HAVING OWNED & TRAINED 1. PHIL LIOYDS SPECKLE WAS INDEED AN EXCEPTIOUNAL DOG,BUT PERHAPS PEOPLE SHOULD ASK ABOUT HOW SUCCESSFUL LATER LITTERS WERE.[NO TEXT TALK] OUT THERE RECALL THE 1ST NL&RC FIELD TRIAL? WON BY A GUY CALLED KEVIN WALKER WITH A COLLIE X? HE WAS LATER INVOLVED IN OWNING & WORKING 1 OF A MUCH PUBLICISED LITTER OF ACD X GREYHOUNDS.HE LATER PUBLISHED AN ARTICLE IN THAT HE SUMMED UP THAT AN ACD COULD NOT GIVE ANY MORE AS A WORKING LURCHER THAN A BORDER COLLIE CROSS. ALSO IF MEMORY SERVES ME CORRECT THE ORIGINAL PHIL LIOYDS ORIGINAL LITTER WAS FROM 1 OF JOHN HOLMES DOGS. HAVING OWNED & TRAINED AN ACD THEY JUST AINT A BEGINNERS DOG. 2 THOSE PEOPLE THAT HAVE HAD GOOD EXPERIENCES OF THE CROSS I WOULD SAY IM GLAD 2 HEAR THAT/BUT IF THEY HAVE SO MUCH 2 OFFER THEN WHY AFTER AROUND 20 ODD YEARS ON THE LURCHER SCENE ARE THEY SO RARE & RARELY BRED?? IN FACT PURE ACD,s ARE QUITE RARE IN THE AGILITY & DOG OBEDIENCE SCENE. HOWEVER AS IVE SAID I DO HOLD A SOFT SPOT 4 THE BREED.HERES A QUESTION 4 ALL U BUDDING ACD AFFICIADOS.WHAT IS THE MAIN HEREDITARY DEFECT THAT ACD,S SUFFER FROM & WHY???

Hi fireman,

Magyar Agar

Hello mate, I know Simon hes a good friend, my stock is some of the last remaining ones bred from his line, i had one of the originals bred in 93, he no longer has lurchers, he field trials spaniels and trains all types of gundogs.

WAS SIMON DIXON THE GUY THAT BRED FROM HIS BLUE ACD DOG.HAD A BLUE& WHITE HANCOCK 5/8 3/8 WHEN I MET HIM AT THE DONCASTER & DISTRICT SHOW BOUT 92?? NICE GUY THAT WAS IN2 LURCHER TRAINING??

I don't know for definite, but I've always assumed that the reason Heeler crosses are uncommon in the UK is because we all prefer to breed from definite proven working dogs. As far as I'm aware, most of the heelers brought into the country have been from show lines for the sole purpose of breeding more show dogs. However, this doesn't detract from the fact that, despite this, they still seem able to produce good working lurchers.

Conversely, all the kelpie imports have been to produce sheep and cattle dogs, though I believe there are at least a couple of studs using agility only dogs to breed agility/pet kelpies.

I don't mean by these two statements that this is proof that kelpies are better than heelers, as I have very little first hand knowledge of the latter, merely that this factor could be one reason why some people would prefer to stick to the known ie collie crosses.

On a similar topic, kelpies, like collies are varied in temperament, build, prey drive etc due to the, fortunately, ever widening gene pool in this country. However, of all the kelpies I've heard of being used for hunting and any subsequent lurchers, one particular name keeps cropping up: Karana Krypto. Most of the hunting kelpies and lurchers bred from them that I'm aware of seem to be either offspring or descendents of his. In fact, out of my three, although the first two are great workers, they don't have as keen a prey drive as Scout who's a grand-daughter of Krypto.

Good questions to ask Endgame,the litter i raised as i've said before came from a rescued acd,she was brought back to health by a mate and used to join us out mooching about.During this time she showed us some traits that we liked,she'd bush like a terrier,used her nose well and never ever tierd,she was so loyal and went out of her way to please us.She wasn't over guarding but wouldn't ever let a strange dog get between us and her,totaly steady with my kids,easly house trained for a 2 year old dog and after a lot of resaerch from other people who have owned this cross before she was mated to produce a lurcher litter.The pups had the best feet i have ever seen on any running dog ever and if you look at the pics of my bitch they had legs like cricket stumps and it was a great shock to all who knew her that she broke a leg as badly as she did.So to answer a bit of your question i'd say the acdx offers better bone than a lot of collie's,as much brain as a collie can offer,as much if not a little more stamina and drive,loyalty as good as i've seen in any breed x or not and as i say a almost over powering urge to please you and make sure your happy with them.This may seem a funny thing to say but you have to see it to belive it,so on this note i myself have to give this x another chance,i might get a duffer next time or i might get a dog as good as the last one but if i never try i'll never know and i myself feel it's worth the risk waiting for this x again as the last was all i've ever wanted in any dog of any type.As for the what can the x offer next time round in breeding then i'm affaid your'll have to watch this space as the dog caterpiller had is being put to the test and if he comes up good then in the future he may be bred from and if you read one of his reply's your'll read he's doing ok for a young un in his first year and is doing as much as any collie x or any other x could.

Magyar Agar i don't know any acdx breeders i'm affraid,i never bred that litter i just reared them for a pal but if i did i'd be showing you all my new pup lol.

HERES A QUESTION 4 ALL U BUDDING ACD AFFICIADOS.WHAT IS THE MAIN HEREDITARY DEFECT THAT ACD,S SUFFER FROM & WHY???

It is the MDR1 Gen defect. Causes a changed sensibility to some drugs. It most probably derived from an only ancestor of various breeds that was a collie.

In fact, out of my three, although the first two are great workers, they don't have as keen a prey drive as Scout who's a grand-daughter of Krypto.

Can u tell me someone who is breeding of this line?

Magyar Agar i don't know any acdx breeders i'm affraid,i never bred that litter i just reared them for a pal but if i did i'd be showing you all my new pup lol.

Ok thanks for your answer!

Magyar Agar