cattle dog and kelpie x ?

I had to remove rabbits yesterday for a farmer,1st time out in 6 weeks as i stoped in february,Taz coursed and caught 3 half grown rabbits and no sound at all from her,her retrieving is spot on.Next season i'll start her on the lamp so should be interesting but dont expect a squeak from her.

Edited by jigsaw

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers mate shes 2nd generation cattle dog greyhound. Atb Adam 

Posted Images

OK; I've made lots of notes on a scrap of paper and I'm going to give it a go. If this works, there should be a photo of Scout after her first ferreting trip.

...D'oh! I've tagged the image, hi-lighted the IMG code, right clicked, then left clicked to select copy but nothing comes up. What's the glaringly obvious thing that I'm forgetting. :hmm:

P1000911.jpg

Aha! I forgot to paste. What a plonker!

Right, now I'll try some more...

Edited by Neal

about flipin time :clapper: very nice dogs neal.i met a couple walking last night and he had with him an ACD,i was amazed to see it coming,but i was doubly amazed to see how small it was,he told me there were 26 of them in Ireland,i never knew there were any about in this country.if she was 16 inches to the shoulder she was a lot.but to see it in the fur so to speak was good,she had a fine head and massive feet.i will in the future get another kelpie blooded dog/bitch.

Thanks. None of them are particularly recent so will try to upload some more to photobucket and add more soon. Most kelpies I've seen are slimmer and shorter coated like Amber and Scout but Rust's sire was just like him with a thick brush tail and very thick ear leather. They look more like huskies than kelpies. I often get asked how my lurcher is bred when people see Amber. Scout looks like a tiny whippet/terrier as she's only just over 17".

I saw two ACDs at a country show about twelve years ago but never saw any more until last Christmas...I've now seen three in the last four months. One was much racier than the others I've seen in this country (either in the flesh or in photos) but the chap walking it was just dog-sitting for a friend who was away for Christmas and said it had recently been imported from France. Walking towards it from behind it took me a while to recognise it due to its build; I initially thought it was a chunky collie cross.

Edited by Neal
no one asked about NZ hunterways :thumbs:

Yes its one x not for lurchers :thumbdown: , they move the sheep by barking all feckin day long :wallbash: . My mate went to NZ to visit h is sister, and saw them working .And some of the kelpies were [vocal] as well :wallbash: . All OZ +NZ dogs are great working dogs, and they do make good lurcher xs, But its [something] that you have to REALLY keep a eye on, Especially if they come from Working stock.????

no one asked about NZ hunterways :thumbs:

Yes its one x not for lurchers :thumbdown: , they move the sheep by barking all feckin day long :wallbash: . My mate went to NZ to visit h is sister, and saw them working .And some of the kelpies were [vocal] as well :wallbash: . All OZ +NZ dogs are great working dogs, and they do make good lurcher xs, But its [something] that you have to REALLY keep a eye on, Especially if they come from Working stock.????

Oh right, I dont know much about em really. They look the part though! I only know about em as my dad used to have a few in NZ, that I've seen in pictures and old cini films.... silly bugger died before I was able to speak so he never got the chance to say they bark like hell

I've heard that if you want the job done quickly and you're not worried about how it's done eg keeping the sheep in good condition etc, then a huntaway's hard to beat. However, like everybody else, I've heard they're noisy in the extreme. Having said that, some people say the same about beardies. :hmm: (Incidentally, the chin scratching is with regards to them passing it on to a greyhound cross rather than to using beardies.)

Finally after much advice from a computery mucka I've got some pics of the dogs !!

Merle bitch, Storm. Dam beddy saturated lurcher X pure Kelpie

Brindle dog, Sonny, litter brother to Storm. 4 years old last october, both 22 tts ish and about 40 lbs.

Chocolate bitch, Gyp, 3/4 Kelpie 1/4 collie. Same sire as Sonny and Storm on both sides I think. 11 months old and mad as a bag of wasps.

dsc0475z.jpg

dscf0455m.jpg

dscf0410s.jpg

dscf0421m.jpg

dscf0452iwz.jpg

dscf0409c.jpg

One for anyone else with a canine foot fetish,

dscf0467b.jpg

Not the easiest photo to take with a hyper kelpie pup, hope it gives some idea of the strong structure of a kelpie blooded dog.

Fingers crossed this works, for a computer retard this has been a major undertaking !!

All the best fellas,

Finn.

mine does as a few of you know, she does it flushing hare, somtimes, but is also silent on some runs.

she will also do it a little on bushing rabbits daytime. but is silent on bunnys on the lamp.

mines only 1'4 kelpie, but mine might not have come from the kelpie side, as the dam (whip/grey), her sister did it. so with mine its more likely to have been inherated .

The first b collie cross i had sounded like a foxhound behind a rabbit another yaped a bit at the beginning of the season until he got fitter then he was silent. A lot of its just that their that wound up it comes out as yapping, think you can get it with all collie crosses leave one in a kennel for to long and you will see what I mean :laugh: