cattle dog and kelpie x ?

Mike, could that be down to the size of the two kelpies used as I know there's a lot of disparity? My pup, nearly 22 months old now, is a fraction over 17" at the shoulder but I've heard of and seen a few which are around the 24" mark.

Also, have you heard that there's a group of farmers in North Wales trying to promote the use of kelpies?

I don't know the answer to that one Neal, my Kelpie bitch is the litter sister to Cody's father so there shouldn't be much diference genetically speaking, both parents of each litter fall into the correct sizes for the breed but who can tell genetics is a funny thing. I haven't heard anything about the farmers I'll have to ask about ;)

Mike

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers mate shes 2nd generation cattle dog greyhound. Atb Adam 

Posted Images

Also, the South West section of the Sheep Association are holding an event near Okehampton in Devon on the 9th of June which includes a kelpie demonstration including yard work and backing. :thumbs:

• 6 months later...

Yes; Scout is now a little over two years old and had a great summer, catching quite a few young rabbits and some adults with myxy which really increased her confidence. She's had a few rats too including helping Rust with a monster which got into my shed. My neighbours and I had christened it "the wallaby" as it was so big. I won't tell you too much about that now as I'm writing the incident up for an EDRD article.

Not great news about Rust though I'm afraid. I nearly lost him in October when he suddenly just seized up and could barely walk more than a few feet. A trip to the vet revealed the reason. He was hit by a van when he was just under a year old and has always been quite slow as a result. Despite that I've caught more with him than any of my previous lurchers as he's one of those lucky dogs that always seems to be in the right place at the right time. Basically, the areas between his vertebrae have been calcifying which was causing the pain. In addition to this the vet was amazed by the x-ray of his pelvis. When I saw it I thought they'd taken it at an angle but it was directly from above (or below; can't remember which). It looked like an EU and non-EU banana back to back! To put it simply it looked like exactly what it was ie a pelvis which had been hit at 30 mph by a white van. The vet was initially amazed that Rust was still able to walk but he was even more amazed when I told him that he'd caught two rabbits earlier in the week.

He was on pain killers and strict rest for a couple of weeks but I honestly thought I'd lost him and had reached the stage where I was walking the other two around the farms looking for possible burial sites. :cry: Two months on and he's still with me and can manage a walk of a couple of hours but seizes up a bit in the rain. He may last a few more years yet but I'm in the position of knowing that the decision will probably have to be mine ie when he's in too much pain. Poor old sod.

Was just looking for this old thread yesterday,i lost my acdx bitch about a month ago and still miss her.She shattered her fore leg and would have been 3 legged at best and as she wouldn't have coped with being left at home so i had her pts,have to say she was the best pup/dog i've ever owned and if i had the chance i'd swop all my other dogs for her back and not loose sleep over it.Caterpillers young dog is with a mate of his as he was a bit to on guard while he was at work but the dog is doing very,very well :clapper: .I'm off to look at a litter of kelpie/collie x lurcher pups as soon as i can,just looking but you never know :whistling::thumbs: .

Just a few pics of what my bitch turned into before i lost her.

Picture821.jpg

Picture881.jpg

the last pic i ever took of her.

Picture-1.jpg

gutted but she died doing what she loved doing,those cwd.

Must say it was the end of sept when i lost her and not the month ago i thought :icon_redface: .

Yes, shame about your Bitch,i know what you thought of the Dog Fireman.

Yes, ' Jake ' is now with my Mate, Neighbour was moaning about his barking when people went past :doh::doh: my hands were tied as i am still on probation for my little run in with that Traffic Copper but, i will deal with him later :yes::yes: .

' Jake ' has settled really well at my Mates, HE DOES'NT WORK so the Dog is with him 24/7. He is taking alot of Rabbits with him on the Lamp, he has tracked 10 Roe so far and has hunted up and retrieved (after being shot) numerous Hares.

My Mate does a fair bit of Gate Netting with him, ' Jake ' has taken to the Job like a Duck to water :clapper::clapper: .

My Mate will test him to the limit, he can give him as much Work as he can take, HE DOES'NT WORK so can go whenever he wishes.

• Like 1

Yes, shame about your Bitch,i know what you thought of the Dog Fireman.

Yes, ' Jake ' is now with my Mate, Neighbour was moaning about his barking when people went past :doh::doh: my hands were tied as i am still on probation for my little run in with that Traffic Copper but, i will deal with him later :yes::yes: .

' Jake ' has settled really well at my Mates, HE DOES'NT WORK so the Dog is with him 24/7. He is taking alot of Rabbits with him on the Lamp, he has tracked 10 Roe so far and has hunted up and retrieved (after being shot) numerous Hares.

My Mate does a fair bit of Gate Netting with him, ' Jake ' has taken to the Job like a Duck to water :clapper::clapper: .

My Mate will test him to the limit, he can give him as much Work as he can take, HE DOES'NT WORK so can go whenever he wishes.

Good to hear the pup has turned out well, Chin up Fireman, your time will come, devastating news but im sure you will move on, hard but im sure you will. All the best WR.

Fireman - what a shame about your pup. She'd turned into a cracker! A hell of a decision to have to make, we had a pup at 11 months shatter her back leg, and decided to have her pts. It was the right thing to do though.

Like wild rover says, chin up... your time will come for another new addition.

All the best,

shell

I was just wandering does anybody have any pics of these x s and few comments on their working ability as i havnt heard or seen much about them since ive joined this site thanks

CANNOT COMMENT ON KELPIES BUT I HAVE EXPERIENCE OF AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOGS & I CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY [NO TEXT TALK] WOULD BREED FROM SUCH A STOCKY & THICKSET DOG. OBVIOUSLY THE MAIN IDEA OF BREEDING FROM A PASTORAL BREED WOULD BE 4 RABBITING BUT A 1ST CROSS IN THE MAIN WOULD LACK THE SPEED OR AGILITY NEEDED.THERES IS ANOTHER POINT THAT AN AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG LACKS/SUPRISINGLY THEY LACK A GOOD SCENTING ABILITY/WHICH IS VITAL IN A WORKING LURCHER.DONT JUST TAKE MY WORD ON THIS.U CAN CHECK IT IN JOHN HOLMES BOOK ON A C D,s,AS HE & HIS WIFE WERE AMONGST THE 1ST IMPORTERS OF THE BREED & A TOP CLASS DOG TRAINER.

CANNOT COMMENT ON KELPIES BUT I HAVE EXPERIENCE OF AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOGS & I CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY [NO TEXT TALK] WOULD BREED FROM SUCH A STOCKY & THICKSET DOG. OBVIOUSLY THE MAIN IDEA OF BREEDING FROM A PASTORAL BREED WOULD BE 4 RABBITING BUT A 1ST CROSS IN THE MAIN WOULD LACK THE SPEED OR AGILITY NEEDED.THERES IS ANOTHER POINT THAT AN AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG LACKS/SUPRISINGLY THEY LACK A GOOD SCENTING ABILITY/WHICH IS VITAL IN A WORKING LURCHER.DONT JUST TAKE MY WORD ON THIS.U CAN CHECK IT IN JOHN HOLMES BOOK ON A C D,s,AS HE & HIS WIFE WERE AMONGST THE 1ST IMPORTERS OF THE BREED & A TOP CLASS DOG TRAINER.

I dont think their noses are that bad, over here they are used as rescue/scenting dogs and work well.

For the speed and agility department You have to look the coney catcher 1,3 dvd. There I didnt got the impression that the first cross is that

slow or clumsy.

But that is not first hand experience!

Have a nice day

Magyar Agar