cattle dog and kelpie x ?

Theres a post on here about protective dogs, how have you found the ACD bred dogs in regards to this, my first one was better than a burgular alarm, my current 9 year old is quiet at night but if i'm in the garden with him and someone he doesnt know walks in, he just stands and gets the hackles up, once i speak, he's ok goes and lies down.

Current young bitch has started guarding the kennel may be a future burgular alarm.

Lets hear from other owners, all the best. WR

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers mate shes 2nd generation cattle dog greyhound. Atb Adam 

Posted Images

Two of my kelpies are fairly friendly with people and dogs but one is the most extreme one man dog I've ever known. Despite this it tends to be the friendlier two who are the better guards. Rust will stand in front of my son's buggy when we're approached by strange dogs and try to pretend he's not on his last legs. :whistling:

My bitch would see and warn me of people about in the field well before i knew they were there hackles up and a slight growl,at home well not over barky but she'd let you know if someone was about.Other dogs :whistling: ,well she did have a bit of a problem and at times would turn into a screaming banshee and make me look like i had no control over a dog at all,just depended on how she was feeling :laugh: .Without a doub't she'd have laid her life down for me so was worth it looking a fool at times with her.

Theres a post on here about protective dogs, how have you found the ACD bred dogs in regards to this, my first one was better than a burgular alarm, my current 9 year old is quiet at night but if i'm in the garden with him and someone he doesnt know walks in, he just stands and gets the hackles up, once i speak, he's ok goes and lies down.

Current young bitch has started guarding the kennel may be a future burgular alarm.

Lets hear from other owners, all the best. WR

My bitch is soft and friendly with visitors we welcome. Once while night fishing on a quiet beach another fisherman walked up to see how I was doing. She stood between us growling and wouldnt let him near. I dont doubt she would protect me.

It`s only on rare occasions that you see legs on working dogs the same thickness as a mans wrist. That quality only appeals to a dedicated few :D

Neil this dog here sired by Okaro Max stands at 22 inch and at 17 month old he`s 19 kg in weight.

I previously said he was 14 month which was incorrect..

mince-1.jpg

Magyar Agar, I can name a few films with pure dogs but no field sports ones with the crosses other than the ones you've named.

Eg: kelpies in "Dusty" and "The Sundowners" and heelers in "Mad Max 2" and "Razorback."

It`s only on rare occasions that you see legs on working dogs the same thickness as a mans wrist. That quality only appeals to a dedicated few :D

Neil this dog here sired by Okaro Max stands at 22 inch and at 17 month old he`s 19 kg in weight.

I previously said he was 14 month which was incorrect..

Size of feet and bone, red one ACD/GREY/WHIP 23months and 21 inch, black one acd/grey aged 9, 25 inch ish. Both strong broad chest.

post-12550-126079305294_thumb.jpgpost-12550-12607930654_thumb.jpgpost-12550-126079307828_thumb.jpgpost-12550-126079309348_thumb.jpg

Magyar Agar, I can name a few films with pure dogs but no field sports ones with the crosses other than the ones you've named.

Eg: kelpies in "Dusty" and "The Sundowners" and heelers in "Mad Max 2" and "Razorback."

There is also the movie Last of the dogmen with a heeler in it.

Magyar Agar

post-12550-12607930654_thumb.jpg

This dog is a beauty

Magyar Agar

I have a question for all the ACD and Kelpie Cross experts in this thread.

Which DVD´s or Books with those Crosses in them are there?

I have Purdys Progress and the Coney Catcher Series are there any others?

Thanks in advance

Magyar Agar

Experts eh mate, strong words are there any ?, ACD's in film and print, treat all books as an entertaining read, like the rest of us on here they are purely our individual experiences, yes quite a few have had certain breeds for many years but experts maybe not,nearly 58 and still learning. Ha my old mate Sammy Vaughan is mid 70's and still considers himself as learning all the time.

Experts eh mate, strong words are there any ?, ACD's in film and print, treat all books as an entertaining read, like the rest of us on here they are purely our individual experiences, yes quite a few have had certain breeds for many years but experts maybe not,nearly 58 and still learning. Ha my old mate Sammy Vaughan is mid 70's and still considers himself as learning all the time.

I should have said more expert than me! :victory:

Magyar Agar

I should have said more expert than me! :victory:

Magyar Agar

WILDROVER. WELL SAID MATE. WITH DOGS MATE I TEND 2 THINK THAT EVERY DAY IS A SCHOOL DAY .