cattle dog and kelpie x ?

These are my two Kelpie /greyhound first crosses.

This is the big lad

IMG_0203Small.jpg

IMG_0109Small.jpg

This is the bitch pup that I bred last year

8months1044.jpg

8months1031.jpg

I own a pure Kelpie bitch which is what I used to breed the litter last year, I have found this cross to suit me very well.

All the best

Mike

what sort of size does the dog reach to the shoulder. are they a sencible size for rabbit dogs

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers mate shes 2nd generation cattle dog greyhound. Atb Adam 

Posted Images

Finally after much advice from a computery mucka I've got some pics of the dogs !!

Merle bitch, Storm. Dam beddy saturated lurcher X pure Kelpie

Brindle dog, Sonny, litter brother to Storm. 4 years old last october, both 22 tts ish and about 40 lbs.

Chocolate bitch, Gyp, 3/4 Kelpie 1/4 collie. Same sire as Sonny and Storm on both sides I think. 11 months old and mad as a bag of wasps.

dsc0475z.jpg

dscf0455m.jpg

dscf0410s.jpg

dscf0421m.jpg

dscf0452iwz.jpg

dscf0409c.jpg

One for anyone else with a canine foot fetish,

dscf0467b.jpg

Not the easiest photo to take with a hyper kelpie pup, hope it gives some idea of the strong structure of a kelpie blooded dog.

Fingers crossed this works, for a computer retard this has been a major undertaking !!

All the best fellas,

Finn.

Smart dogs mate and they really are a grand set of boots on that pup. :thumbs:

what sort of size does the dog reach to the shoulder. are they a sencible size for rabbit dogs

The dog is a big lad and is 27" to the shoulder he was bred Greyhound mother and Kelpie father the bitch however is 23" but was bred Kelpie mother and Greyhound father the bitch being a "better" size for rabbits in most peoples eyes but the dog has taken his fair share over the years .The dog pups in the litter I bred seem to be around the 25" mark so maybe breeding this way produces a slightly smaller dog but who know genetics is a funny thing.

Mike

Thanks for the comments chaps.

The dogs aren't without their faults by any stretch but in fairness I think that's more down to me than them, can't take any credit for Sonny, he's me muckas hound, not done a huge amount but given the chance and once he's got his head round the job he's been mustard.

Main thing is that whatever it is you ask them to do, they do it all balls out. I'm delighted with them and the more challenges you give them the happier they seem to be. They thrive off graft. There's a few things we want to test them on yet before we can say for certain what sort of stamp they are and once we know for sure then we may be able to take things further.

The reason for getting Gyp was basically because I was so impressed with Sonny and Storm and felt that it would be a good way of ensuring the bloods always there should anything unpleasant happen. Their sire is a machine, I know it sounds sad but I get a rush just sitting in the yard with him!! When the chance of having a pup from him came up I had to take it. There's been times when I've wondered what the hell I'm doing but on the whole she's not a bad little dog, probably wasted on me but that's life I'm afraid.

On the subject of furthering the line I've been thinking that in the next 12 months all being well and seeing how she does at the various work that she'll see, I would like to put storm to a decent dog, something along the lines of Bigland Boy, I've never bred a litter and really don't fancy the idea but it seems a shame not to try and keep a good thing going. Any advice on the subject would be most welcome.

All the best fellas,

Finn.

Finn, I know exactly what you mean; my main reason for getting my old kelpie, Rust, was that I was so impressed with the kelpie/collie lurcher I had that I simply had to get a pure one. Unfortunately the two didn't get on, but that's another story. :cry: As I've said before on here, I now have three pure kelpies and although I'm sure I'd get more game with a lurcher I can't ever see myself getting another as I get such a kick out of spending time mooching/hunting with my kelpies.

Changing the subject, do you know much about the parentage of the two lurchers? The reason I ask is that until recently my brother had a lovely little merle lurcher which looked like a collie x whippet but was in fact bedlington saturated with just a tiny dash of collie and it looked the spitting image of yours.

Neal, all I know of the lurchers parents is that the bitch is a beddy saturated lurcher that an old boy local to them had bred. He's had the strain for years and did a fair bit with them. She was about 23tts fairly solid but racy with it, she was lightly merle marked which makes me think there is a touch of collie in her but other than that she looks a typical beddy type.

The people who bred my dogs didn't work her but they have a mixed farm and she used to go off hunting on her own and was fairly handy by all accounts.

The sire is a pure kelpie who was bred by Adam Henson off Countryfile. He imported a seamen straw in from australia to use on his bitch and that produced our dogs sire. He's a large very powerfully built red dog that just oozes confidence and a kind of primitive preditory look about him that sets the hairs on the back of your neck on edge if that makes sense??? I could literally just sit in the yard and watch that dog for hours. He works cattle and sheep. He's ok with bitches but can't stand dogs being on the place and did kill a dog they had, this has possibly been picked up by Storm as she can be very protective and just hates certain other dogs not all dogs but it is something that I have to be aware of at all times.

I spoke to the lady who bred the dogs and am waiting for an e-mail of photos of the dogs parents and hopefully some more details of their breeding, if and when I get it I'll post it on here. Hope that's of some interest.

All the best,

Finn.

Thanks Finn. I'll try to get some more information from my brother about his dog's breeding too.

I know what you mean about simply watching them; they just seem to think about what they're doing in a way that's different to other dogs. On that recent Countryfile with Adam Henson's dogs he made a comment to his father about the pup working naturally but not yet following its direction signals. That's what I find with mine, to a certain extent, they can follow instructions but they tend to work off their own initiative. Sometimes I'll ask them to do something and they'll look at me as if they're saying, "why? Wouldn't it make more sense to do it my way instead?" It amazes me that so many peole use them for agility, mine would be thinking, "why should I jump over that hurdle when I can walk round it? What's the point?"

one of my dogs is a cattle dog x jrt. fantastic little girl,wins nearly all the terrier racing shows.highly strung and needs to be busy.very loyal,steals food, any food!. i cant show you pic. coz i dont know how to do it. she has been in countrymans weekly though. brilliant ratter.

These are my two Kelpie /greyhound first crosses.

This is the big lad

IMG_0203Small.jpg

IMG_0109Small.jpg

This is the bitch pup that I bred last year

8months1044.jpg

8months1031.jpg

I own a pure Kelpie bitch which is what I used to breed the litter last year, I have found this cross to suit me very well.

All the best

Mike

that is a very nice looking dog and i bet its looks do not compare towhat it can do. good hunting :thumbs:

do all the australian cattle dogs have that guarding ability even the show stock is there any working stock in the uk?

or was all the x's made with show stock

I would love to get a pure bread one day if they half as good as my 1/2 x was i would be very pleased

The bitch that was used in producing my pup was from "show" stock as it were but she was used as she had showed a few good traits out in the field,she was a good guard whilst she was at mine and my pup is showing the same triat.I'm happy for her to be on guard and it does seem to come natural to her,the acd is a dog full of beans and does dedicate a good bit of it's life on keeping you safe and happy.

That's what I find with mine, to a certain extent, they can follow instructions but they tend to work off their own initiative. Sometimes I'll ask them to do something and they'll look at me as if they're saying, "why? Wouldn't it make more sense to do it my way instead?"

Neal .... That sound's exactly what I found many year's ago with Beardie type's and one that I worked in particular was a line bred dog ( I only keep bitches now) The chap who bred him, kept amongst himself and a small group of friend's alot of the family line from only proven worker's ..... Obviously the sire and dam, but also grand parent's, uncle's and aunty's etc and swore by the type / cross and kept nothing else.

The saying that I was told really hit the nail on the head ..... "They will work with you but not alway's for you" :doh: