• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers mate shes 2nd generation cattle dog greyhound. Atb Adam 

Posted Images

I was looking at it Neal,very lurchery kelpie too,11 years old I think she was and the kelpie/border c was a beaut,natural herding instincts she showed,any pics of your dogs please.

Molly, first cross kelpie/grey and litter sister to Mike's Cody...

DSC00490.jpg

DSC00488.jpg

DSC00489.jpg

DSC00702.jpg

She's looking VERY well Gav.!!! :clapper:

Cheers Dave. Those pics are a few months old now, I'll have to get a recent one up. I work hard to keep all of my dogs in good condition, though I must sat that Molly has put a little too much weight on recently... I've got a supply of mince from a local butcher and the dogs only have to look at it to put weight on! Far better than dry food though... I'll just have to cycle a few more miles with the dogs behind me. I could do with the exercise myself!

I love this dog to bits, though I do wish I had done things a little different with her when she was a pup. Still... Molly was my first lurcher and we all have to learn somewhere. In spite of any faults she may have, this bitch can certainly hunt and I really enjoy mooching about with her. Oh... and she flippin loves rats!

Have been reading this thread all the way thru, and have enjoyed the post's with the accompanying picture's .... Well done to all concerned ;)

Was just wondering, Most of the Pure bred Kelpie's that I have seen (Only on film, not in the flesh) working Sheep and especially cattle seem to be abit more vocal than other British type's when trying to keep reluctant livestock moving .....

Have people found that this is past onto lurcher stock when a pure bred Kelpie has been used ? ?

Two of my kelpies occasionaly bark. The small bitch sometimes opens up behind a rabbit and the male does the same and also barks when he's marking a treed squirrel. My taller bitch never barks and neither did my kelpie/collie x greyhound.

Have been reading this thread all the way thru, and have enjoyed the post's with the accompanying picture's .... Well done to all concerned ;)

Was just wondering, Most of the Pure bred Kelpie's that I have seen (Only on film, not in the flesh) working Sheep and especially cattle seem to be abit more vocal than other British type's when trying to keep reluctant livestock moving .....

Have people found that this is past onto lurcher stock when a pure bred Kelpie has been used ? ?

Breeze..............In my expereinece NO......The pure bred bitch I have will whine when she is marking anything (i.e. rabbits to ground or squirrels up trees ect) she will also occassionally bark if she is chasing a rabbit. The first cross dog that I have is silent when running or any work really he has taken brown hare to and never opened up at all . The bitch pup I have bred is obviuosly to young to have been tested but she is from the same kelpie bloodline so I cannot see there being any problem there but time will tell.

Mike

mine does as a few of you know, she does it flushing hare, somtimes, but is also silent on some runs.

she will also do it a little on bushing rabbits daytime. but is silent on bunnys on the lamp.

mines only 1'4 kelpie, but mine might not have come from the kelpie side, as the dam (whip/grey), her sister did it. so with mine its more likely to have been inherated .

These are my two Kelpie /greyhound first crosses.

This is the big lad

IMG_0203Small.jpg

IMG_0109Small.jpg

This is the bitch pup that I bred last year

8months1044.jpg

8months1031.jpg

I own a pure Kelpie bitch which is what I used to breed the litter last year, I have found this cross to suit me very well.

All the best

Mike

Lovely mate

My bitch is silent when lamping and mostly quiet during the day... the exceptions are when she marks a rabbit in a thick bramble bush and she can't get it out (she barks at it until I get to her) or occasionally if she runs a rabbit in thick woodland.

My 1/2 cross kelpie bitch can yap a bit mainly hunting heavy cover but did once when hunting a recent fox trail across a ploughed field.

Sometimes does when running the first bunny of the night on the lamp but even then it's only ever a very faint whine really.

Thinking about it I don't recall her ever doing it when she was the only dog I was working, memory could deceive me on that one though !!

3/4 kelpie pup is noisy as feck !! It seems to be a hyper-excited puppy whine and it does my head in. She does quieten down after burning off a little steam but if someone tries to gee the dogs on she's off screeching again.

Cheers, Finn.

My pup hasn't made a sound in pursuit of game as such,even today when she went round a corner and excersized the local roe heard for a field as they bounded away in front of her(there not usally there on that bit of patch).The only time she makes any noise is if anyone else is about,or when she's marking a hole then she whines.

Cant help thinking that these Kelpie crosses are probably very similar to the original lurchers bred from the old droving dogs,probably much closer to type than anything that could be produced from a modern day border collie?

ps not slating border collie's or their crosses,bred and worked a half x welsh hill collie owned by my lad.