smithfield lurchers

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree that drovers would have moved around the country all over, especially down to Smithfield in London as it was a bit market. However lots were local folk, who would work particular droves or run

somebody give him Jeff Burrell's number....he breeds smithfields talk to him

I am not keen on Moderation,...I've never done what convention dictated I do,...and that is how I still run, what is left of my life...in short, I am a great believer in letting folk do what they want

Posted Images

8 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

Scotch collie x grey made smithfield collies ?

Do you really think they started of as Smithfield collies ,drovers came from all over but I'd say a lot was scotch/irish decendent and it would have been these men that bred the Norfolk types .

1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

Do you really think they started of as Smithfield collies ,drovers came from all over but I'd say a lot was scotch/irish decendent and it would have been these men that bred the Norfolk types .

I agree that drovers would have moved around the country all over, especially down to Smithfield in London as it was a bit market. However lots were local folk, who would work particular droves or runs. Ie from where I am here on the chalk downs, down to Salisbury market. 

But what I was saying is that I don’t think there was any greyhound in the make up of the Smithfield collie, it’s a local version of many other rough coated droving dogs.

Also people keep using Norfolk / Smithfield as interchangeable terms. They are different ends of the country! Let’s just face it, people like Jeff Burrell just slap any hairy dog breed onto their breeding. 

• Like 8

? I have been researching the Smithfield Collie throughout our small island, since the early 1980's, and it's sensible to remember, that these ancient canines were incredibly varied  in their physical shape, size, coat, etc.. ?

There has always been a fair bit of romance connected to the hybrid running dogs, reputedly created from them, but that historical union, is a totally different discussion, to that of the original working animal....?

I have bred several Smithfield 'Look-a-likes' over the years,.. but, they were never anything special... 

Great to hear some interesting discussion lads..?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, OldPhil said:

? I have been researching the Smithfield Collie throughout our small island, since the early 1980's, and it's sensible to remember, that these ancient canines were incredibly varied  in their physical shape, size, coat, etc.. ?

There has always been a fair bit of romance connected to the hybrid running dogs, reputedly created from them, but that historical union, is a totally different discussion, to that of the original working animal....?

I have bred several Smithfield 'Look-a-likes' over the years,.. but, they were never anything special... 

Great to hear some interesting discussion lads..?

Phil do you think it was a just a landrace type similar to the border collie an the russell terrier ? 
i often wondered if the old English sheepdog was of a similar type ?

1 hour ago, nothernlite said:

And poodle or was typ ratcher 

That was Tipp Ratcher. He bred a litter of Standard Poodle x Greyhound.

Also bred GSD X Greyhound where he claimed the GSD has wolf in it !

Heres a pic of a pup that he claimed was 1/4 GSD/wolf- 3/4 Greyhound;

IMG_0371.JPG.c59fb7516921977f4ba22a178391b738.JPG

Cheers.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, chartpolski said:

That was Tipp Ratcher. He bred a litter of Standard Poodle x Greyhound.

Also bred GSD X Greyhound where he claimed the GSD has wolf in it !

Heres a pic of a pup that he claimed was 1/4 GSD/wolf- 3/4 Greyhound;

IMG_0371.JPG.c59fb7516921977f4ba22a178391b738.JPG

Cheers.

Can deffo see the wolf in that 

6 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Didn't Burrell put Picardy into his breeding ?

Cheers.

Jeffs put all kinds into the mix over the years but he also says he made mistakes trying to better what he already had ,few lads I no got dogs from him and are happy and that's all that matters .