smithfield lurchers

I strongly believe there is PURE Smithfield lurchers still around that have'nt been diluted. There owners may still breed among'st friends and choose not to come onto forums. "You never know". ATB, MRD.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree that drovers would have moved around the country all over, especially down to Smithfield in London as it was a bit market. However lots were local folk, who would work particular droves or run

somebody give him Jeff Burrell's number....he breeds smithfields talk to him

I am not keen on Moderation,...I've never done what convention dictated I do,...and that is how I still run, what is left of my life...in short, I am a great believer in letting folk do what they want

Posted Images

I strongly believe there is PURE Smithfield lurchers still around that have'nt been diluted. There owners may still breed among'st friends and choose not to come onto forums. "You never know". ATB, MRD.

I keep Norfolk lurchers ,the strain has been in my family over 2 hundred years,their breeding is a closely guarded secret. Occasionally we have a Tumbler x Smithfield litter for sale,,[especially if no one wants Norfolk lurchers that week].a £200 deposit secures a pup.

I can be reached at number 1 Bullshit Lane.Gullible Terrace , Fantasy Island,in the marshy depths of Chelsea.

• Haha 1

I keep Norfolk lurchers ,the strain has been in my family over 2 hundred years,their breeding is a closely guarded secret. Occasionally we have a Tumbler x Smithfield litter for sale,,[especially if no one wants Norfolk lurchers that week].a £200 deposit secures a pup.

I can be reached at number 1 Bullshit Lane.Gullible Terrace , Fantasy Island,in the marshy depths of Chelsea.

Don't really understand the reply and i'm no daft c**t?!!! Before you say "Did I say That?) Do you know ...... every Dog, Man and breeder in the country? I'll answer that NO you f*****g don't! they may be a group of people some where that has a neat breeding of Smithfields. You don't know! mistic meg. MRD.

Edited by MRD

Don't really understand the reply and i'm no daft c**t?!!! Before you say "Did I say That?) Do you know ...... every Dog, Man and breeder in the country? I'll answer that NO you f*****g don't! they may be a group of people some where that has a neat breeding of Smithfields. You don't know! mistic meg. MRD.

I DO know every dog man and breeder in the country, and I can gaurantee you one thing.NONE OF THEM BREEDS SMITHFIELD LURCHERS.Except for me.Now to business, when are you picking up your pup?

NB.

The Smithfield type ,and it was a type comes in to mention around1800,variously known as the Drovers dog or droving Cur.William Taplin mentions them around 1804.

This type is thought to have originated from a mixture of cattle droving dogs and Sheepdogs possibly the Old English Bob Tail .The resulting cross was lankier than the traditional Warrener type of dog and with a wiry , often double coat. A friend of mine has two of these and uses them for herding sheep and cattle on his farm they could pass as Smithfields ,or at least pass for the description we have of Smithfields, but in reality, they are rough coated droving dogs.In NewZealand they still call a type of cattle/ sheep dog a Smithfield, but it is a TYPE, not a strain just as the Norfolk is a type not a strain.

ps No I dont know Mystic Meg,but I do know Gullible Gary.

I DO know every dog man and breeder in the country, and I can gaurantee you one thing.NONE OF THEM BREEDS SMITHFIELD LURCHERS.Except for me.Now to business, when are you picking up your pup?

NB.

The Smithfield type ,and it was a type comes in to mention around1800,variously known as the Drovers dog or droving Cur.William Taplin mentions them around 1804.

This type is thought to have originated from a mixture of cattle droving dogs and Sheepdogs possibly the Old English Bob Tail .The resulting cross was lankier than the traditional Warrener type of dog and with a wiry , often double coat. A friend of mine has two of these and uses them for herding sheep and cattle on his farm they could pass as Smithfields ,or at least pass for the description we have of Smithfields, but in reality, they are rough coated droving dogs.In NewZealand they still call a type of cattle/ sheep dog a Smithfield, but it is a TYPE, not a strain just as the Norfolk is a type not a strain.

Prick! Whats the point? You don't know what every ones got in there pens. Stop f*****g reading from a book. Gullible Gary? also know as Inan the dick t(thats not much to say but bollocks!) ATB MRD.

NB.

Prick! Whats the point? You don't know what every ones got in there pens. Stop f*****g reading from a book. Gullible Gary? also know as Inan the dick t(thats not much to say but bollocks!) ATB MRD.

I'm not reading from a book, just from memory.you seem to have anger issues MRD. Have I insulted you? Called you names ? Sworn at you?

A gentle wind up has you spitting blood,,time to chill methinks. Why do you keep writing in abreviated morse code?ATB MRD? Well here goes.GAGF, DH ps Take it easy ,you'll live longer.!

NB.

I'm not reading from a book, just from memory.you seem to have anger issues MRD. Have I insulted you? Called you names ? Sworn at you?

A gentle wind up has you spitting blood,,time to chill methinks. Why do you keep writing in abreviated morse code?ATB MRD? Well here goes.GAGF, DH ps Take it easy ,you'll live longer.!

From memory, 200 years? Nice. Yes I have an anger issue but not with you as I believe your daft lad. Insulted me? Take more than that mate. Called me names? I've had then all. Sworn at me? No. Me spitting blood? Ha! Time to chill. I think not as i'm allways chilled! Yes allways. ABREVIATED MORSE CODE?ATB MRD? Learn to spell D A F T c**t. "Just for you" ATB MRD.

Edited by MRD

NB.

From memory, 200 years? Nice. Yes I have an anger issue but not with you as I believe your daft lad. Insulted me? Take more than that mate. Called me names? I've had then all. Sworn at me? No. Me spitting blood? Ha! Time to chill. I think not as i'm allways chilled! Yes allways. ABREVIATED MORSE CODE?ATB MRD? Learn to spell D A F T c**t. "Just for you" ATB MRD.

Why are you so uptight MRD?

If you aren't familiar with the history of Smithfield types of Lurchers ,how come you are so convinced they still exist?

The little info I put up is common knowledge, after all.

If you are, what you call chilled now ,what are you like when you are not chilled?

Did I make a spelling error earlier? Perhaps you would be kind enough to correct it for me?

I know you are going to regret your hasty words later ,because ,secretly, you want to be my friend ,don't you?

Tell you what , I'll overlook it this time ,and give you another chance,we can still be pals .

like the dodo they no longer exist there may be whats called a smithfield type

they were bread from and used as catle droving dogs

this is my sons and he is doing realy well

thats the best looking lurcher iv seen for ages. i keep saluki crosses mainlie but id love to have that for lamping. if thats a mistake mating well thats turned out a treat! :clapper: do you know if there are any bitches for sale of that exact breeding ( full sisters ) id be intrested if so.

NB.

If you aren't familiar with the history of Smithfield types of Lurchers ,how come you are so convinced they still exist?

If you are, what you call chilled now ,what are you like when you are not chilled?

Did I make a spelling error earlier? Perhaps you would be kind enough to correct it for me?

I know you are going to regret your hasty words later ,because ,secretly, you want to be my friend ,don't you?

Tell you what , I'll overlook it this time ,and give you another chance,we can still be pals .

Wright i'm not bothered about the f*****g Smithfield f*****g Lurcher but when you say " They don't exist" how do you now that? It's like when people say my dog is the fastest Lurcher or the best worker around. How do you / people know this as they may be a dog at the front of some old ladys fire that will make you/peoples dogs look silly. What i'm saying is that some dogs seem to "may" have died out awhile ago? Or they may not have as the UK is a big place and you don't Know every Lurcher owner!!!!

And you say you would give me another chanced to be pals??? We have spoke in the past about other breeds but this I feel strongly about. You say "I'll overlook it this time" do you think i'm some school kid. f*****g hell mate give me some credit. AND!! believe me mate I an very well known for NOT being uptight.

NB.

Wright i'm not bothered about the f*****g Smithfield f*****g Lurcher but when you say " They don't exist" how do you now that? It's like when people say my dog is the fastest Lurcher or the best worker around. How do you / people know this as they may be a dog at the front of some old ladys fire that will make you/peoples dogs look silly. What i'm saying is that some dogs seem to "may" have died out awhile ago? Or they may not have as the UK is a big place and you don't Know every Lurcher owner!!!!

And you say you would give me another chanced to be pals??? We have spoke in the past about other breeds but this I feel strongly about. You say "I'll overlook it this time" do you think i'm some school kid. f*****g hell mate give me some credit. AND!! believe me mate I an very well known for NOT being uptight.

You can find examples of Smithfield type lurchers in Ted Walsh's book" Lurchers and Longdogs." I emphasise type because that is what it was.

A another type of lurcher is the famous Norfolk , one I remember from years back was John Bromiley's Isaac which won many shows, a big wheaten coloured rough coated dog If I recall.

MRD you seem to have difficulty appreciating my sense of humour.In the interests of harmony ,I'll play it straight from now on.

NB.

We'll have a few pints, you ....... MRD.

I thought smithfield described a leggy rough coated 'type'. Possibly from leggy Belgian Cattle dogs around a couple of hundred years ago. Only called smithfield because the droving dogs were used to drive cattle to smithfield.

If smithfield is used to describe a strain or breed of dog, they would be so sought after it would be impossible to keep as a secret.

Seems like any hairy dog of collie origin is called a smithfield type nowdays.

I thought smithfield described a leggy rough coated 'type'. Possibly from leggy Belgian Cattle dogs around a couple of hundred years ago. Only called smithfield because the droving dogs were used to drive cattle to smithfield.

If smithfield is used to describe a strain or breed of dog, they would be so sought after it would be impossible to keep as a secret.

Seems like any hairy dog of collie origin is called a smithfield type nowdays.

calm down lads i only put the post on to hear some crack about them but you both entertained me.i only bought the dog for my son as they were always advertised in the countrymans weekly and jeff burrell has a waiting list a mile long at a fortune for this type [300-350]a pup but i bought my sons for 80quid off the lad who got the bitch from geff and he is good at his job and like i said he is going on my beddiexgreyhound bitch so i no what im getting and i will be pleased if they all look like him.but nice to see some entertainment from 2 lads like yous helish