Old/aged dogs

There's an old terrier that I still see that was the last true one of a friend of mine. He was gifted to people who are even older than us and the chap used to do a bit years ago. Standing joke they had to bath the terrier every day for a month before his personal odour was acceptable for a house dog. I think his farting was a big part of the problem but they must have came to accept that. He used to go mad every time I seen him, now he just wags his tail a little and walks on bye. He knows which side his bread is buttered and is loving it 🙂 

• Like 3

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

🤔I reckon a lot of us change as we become older,...I certainly have.... Its a natural part of advancing into old age, nothing to be ashamed of,.. but,.. it does take some getting used to..🙄

you might be right , but the way i see it, if the old dogs in question  have deff give 100% in the hunting field  all there life , i think it only fair to the animal to show some compassion to it . do

Its very hard to watch dogs and people get old and fade even harder as oneself is ageing, walking past a mirror looking into it and thinking who's that old fecker staring at is also hard lol

Posted Images

13 hours ago, eastcoast said:

It wasn't a comment on how/why some make old bones, ideally they all would, just on how it tends to often work out. Sod's Law or bad luck? Might just be me. - when my old mate stops barking and refuses my call to go out will be hi retirement day - he will tell me, here he is at 9 yrs old lads -he`s still very happy and very good at his job.fullsizeoutput_126.jpeg.c17d19add5dcae0b21c731fc4dceaa56.jpeg

on point ,

IMG_0293.JPG.441377d54dade205502164eb96973ad3.JPG

a spot of decoying , he might well be getting older but this fella would be jumping through the window if I went out without him,- he loves his work with his heart and soul x.

fullsizeoutput_f9.jpeg.252c4e182f8e163c831c3dda543806e1.jpeg

• Like 2
7 hours ago, mark williams said:

on point ,

IMG_0293.JPG.441377d54dade205502164eb96973ad3.JPG

a spot of decoying , he might well be getting older but this fella would be jumping through the window if I went out without him,- he loves his work with his heart and soul x.

fullsizeoutput_f9.jpeg.252c4e182f8e163c831c3dda543806e1.jpeg

I do enjoy your posts in the airgun section, a bit out of the ordinary. Air rifle hunting with a GSP as part of the team, great stuff.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

I do enjoy your posts in the airgun section, a bit out of the ordinary. Air rifle hunting with a GSP as part of the team, great stuff.

Hi EChe`ll sit by my side motionless all day although he will whimper very quietly to let me know he has spotted a presentation if I haven't once he's alerted me he locks onto the presentation and will only ever retrieve if commanded to.

shooting from natural hides is the usual method.

fullsizeoutput_120.jpeg.0dd18567a6a5b6e47b75ae5f453c3678.jpeg

• Like 1

Its very hard to watch dogs and people get old and fade even harder as oneself is ageing, walking past a mirror looking into it and thinking who's that old fecker staring at is also hard lol

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

When I was young, even though I always loved my dogs they had to do their bit and old ones and inferior ones couldn't. My dogs now are like my family to me, be they old or young. I think I admire the loyalty now more than ability and because they are with me 24/7 the bond with them is the strongest ever. A guy offered to buy my grew off me the other week and I said, would you part with one of your kids? fck off. That's how I feel now.

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Like 4
7 minutes ago, mark williams said:

makes the long suffering wife laugh whenever I walk past a mirror as old as I`mslowly getting I stop face the mirror and say "you handsome barstuard"

Some boy u are mate 

On 12/03/2024 at 19:11, Bakerboy said:

Said loads of times theyre keeping them alive for themselves not for the dog

you might be right , but the way i see it, if the old dogs in question  have deff give 100% in the hunting field  all there life , i think it only fair to the animal to show some compassion to it . dont get me wrong if you had fecker dont hunt for and only him self, picks his runs, or wont do a fox, or bigger stuff, etc. i wouldn't  keep it  . so if they been hard working dog for 8- 9 years  i look after them. it very rare that you have kennel full of all  similar ability , thats why there lot in pounds etc .My last 2 dogs  bryn who was very good rabbit dog, but nothing else . i wanted dog do the things bryn wouldn't , and old Buck deff ticked the boxes  for me. funny thing a mate from brum popped over to see me , since ive lost my wife , he never seen Buck at his best say 2- 6 year old . but he said to me you could see he been great lamp the way moving about now, if seen something scented somthing like today. he had lurcher x lurcher    pit x deerhound grey bitch, he got a buzz watch her moving he come to life then  lol, we had great  1 1 /2 hour , it done me good as well , another great mate  for me. he not on any hunting site , we met 40 years ago whippet racing in the black country , he even said  maybe  we might go back to them once our old lurchers have gone , maybe ??  but old Buck ok for couple more years  the way went after a munjack today IMG-20240314-WA0003.jpg

• Like 12
30 minutes ago, bird said:

you might be right , but the way i see it, if the old dogs in question  have deff give 100% in the hunting field  all there life , i think it only fair to the animal to show some compassion to it . dont get me wrong if you had fecker dont hunt for and only him self, picks his runs, or wont do a fox, or bigger stuff, etc. i wouldn't  keep it  . so if they been hard working dog for 8- 9 years  i look after them. it very rare that you have kennel full of all  similar ability , thats why there lot in pounds etc .My last 2 dogs  bryn who was very good rabbit dog, but nothing else . i wanted dog do the things bryn wouldn't , and old Buck deff ticked the boxes  for me. funny thing a mate from brum popped over to see me , since ive lost my wife , he never seen Buck at his best say 2- 6 year old . but he said to me you could see he been great lamp the way moving about now, if seen something scented somthing like today. he had lurcher x lurcher    pit x deerhound grey bitch, he got a buzz watch her moving he come to life then  lol, we had great  1 1 /2 hour , it done me good as well , another great mate  for me. he not on any hunting site , we met 40 years ago whippet racing in the black country , he even said  maybe  we might go back to them once our old lurchers have gone , maybe ??  but old Buck ok for couple more years  the way went after a munjack today IMG-20240314-WA0003.jpg

Alrite ray looking well mate sorry to here about your wife good to see your still getting out having a mooch atb mate 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, bird said:

Mate Ive not long put a 14 year old dog down and if he was fit and healthy he'd be here another 14, my earlier post was about people who will keep a dog alive when its deaf and blind and in obvious discomfort, I dont think you'd find many of them in the working dog game, perhaps I should have made it clearer in my earlier post

15 minutes ago, Bakerboy said:

Mate Ive not long put a 14 year old dog down and if he was fit and healthy he'd be here another 14, my earlier post was about people who will keep a dog alive when its deaf and blind and in obvious discomfort, I dont think you'd find many of them in the working dog game, perhaps I should have made it clearer in my earlier post

Sorry mate, must have read wrong, me minds be up/, down this last few months  got lot on me mind right now with what happened. 

2 hours ago, Penda said:

Alrite ray looking well mate sorry to here about your wife good to see your still getting out having a mooch atb mate 

Thanks mate, yeh been real big blow to me and my son, was married 40 years, going take hell of a lot to  to get past this lot. But I've had great response from lot of members on here, it does help no that few people thinking about you in a very sad time.. But you got try to keep going forward bin your mind I swear the fookin dogs know she gone, little woody not really settled proper keeps walking  about he is bit like that, Buck seems bit different as well, maybe it just me and quite towards them. 🤔. Ray