Old/aged dogs

Something I’ve found a bit strange lately is if I’m driving my work van is if i see someone walking a really old dog a thought comes in my head of good ol dog or maybe even bless or something of that nature i don’t know if it’s I’m getting a bit sentimental with age or if it’s because I’ve a old runner here that keeps the sofa warm. I never used to think like that I seem to get the thought of I bet that’s been a good loyal dog for its owner even if it’s only a pet dog. Any of you lads/lasses as you’ve aged/matured abit sort of think like that or am I just going soft in the head 

• Like 8

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

🤔I reckon a lot of us change as we become older,...I certainly have.... Its a natural part of advancing into old age, nothing to be ashamed of,.. but,.. it does take some getting used to..🙄

you might be right , but the way i see it, if the old dogs in question  have deff give 100% in the hunting field  all there life , i think it only fair to the animal to show some compassion to it . do

Its very hard to watch dogs and people get old and fade even harder as oneself is ageing, walking past a mirror looking into it and thinking who's that old fecker staring at is also hard lol

Posted Images

🤔I reckon a lot of us change as we become older,...I certainly have....

Its a natural part of advancing into old age, nothing to be ashamed of,.. but,.. it does take some getting used to..🙄

Back in the day, I never used to keep my old dogs,....but now, my mind set has changed and whilst it would perhaps be foolishly andromorphic to think of a canine in quite the same way as a human,.. or some kind of fur baby...😀....I no longer begrudge them a well deserved retirement....🙏

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 16

Yeah, but you end up with a retirement home.  I have a 13, 11 and a almost 10 year old here, amongst others. The 10 and 11 year old can still hunt fairly well. The 11 year old Mali is deaf ish and I refuse to walk it. That has become my Misses job and she sometimes takes the 13 year old Springer/Lakeland.

The 13 year old would love to work but the lack of teeth and its hypermobile rear end says no. She will still get involved on local walks, loves a rodent and will swallow them if is she gets a chance. One of the greediest dogs I've had, its bitten the hand that feeds it may times 😆

I love them dearly, but it wouldn't bother me too much if at least one of them were stiff in the morning.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, poxon said:

Something I’ve found a bit strange lately is if I’m driving my work van is if i see someone walking a really old dog a thought comes in my head of good ol dog or maybe even bless or something of that nature i don’t know if it’s I’m getting a bit sentimental with age or if it’s because I’ve a old runner here that keeps the sofa warm. I never used to think like that I seem to get the thought of I bet that’s been a good loyal dog for its owner even if it’s only a pet dog. Any of you lads/lasses as you’ve aged/matured abit sort of think like that or am I just going soft in the head 

Man up, ffs.  You're on a hunting site!!

Just joking, mate lol.  👍

Most of us feel the same as we get older. 

Not just about hunting and dogs etc either.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, poxon said:

Depends how fecked the old dogs are. I often look at other peoples old dogs and think "do the right thing, that dog is fecked" 🤣

• Like 3
4 hours ago, leegreen said:

Depends how fecked the old dogs are. I often look at other peoples old dogs and think "do the right thing, that dog is fecked" 🤣

Charity starts at home the said

5 hours ago, leegreen said:

Said loads of times theyre keeping them alive for themselves not for the dog

• Like 4
38 minutes ago, Bakerboy said:

Said loads of times theyre keeping them alive for themselves not for the dog

Sometimes that’s the case mate 

ive got a old girl she’s 14 all she does is sleep shit and eat she’s alright in her self I’ve always said I’m ready when the times come to call time at the bar 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, OldPhil said:

🤔I reckon a lot of us change as we become older,...I certainly have....

Its a natural part of advancing into old age, nothing to be ashamed of,.. but,.. it does take some getting used to..🙄

Back in the day, I never used to keep my old dogs,....but now, my mind set has changed and whilst it would perhaps be foolishly andromorphic to think of a canine in quite the same way as a human,.. or some kind of fur baby...😀....I no longer begrudge them a well deserved retirement....🙏

DSC_0314.JPG

I reckon your right phil my outlook as I’ve got older has changed 

• Like 2

I think the key is trying to spread the dogs out, age wise.. it’s so temping to get a pup, then when it’s 18 months old or 2 years old, you go out and get another pup… they can be a great team for a few years.. but when they retire, from about 8 or 9 years onwards (depending on the type of hunting you do) you can end up with 2 old retired dogs that can live for another 6 or 7 years. 

• Like 3

My old bitch is 12 this year some days I look at her and think you haven’t got long left your f****d when she’s doing some mental or barking in the garden for no reason then the next day she’s a like a pup running around haha 

IMG_7961.jpeg

• Like 7
9 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

The good tend to die young. It is nice to see though when a dog that has earned retirement easily transitions from being a worker to a pampered pet. 

That old bitch there has had some nasty injuries cost me thousands putting her back together 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Wales1234 said:

That old bitch there has had some nasty injuries cost me thousands putting her back together 

It wasn't a comment on how/why some make old bones, ideally they all would, just on how it tends to often work out. Sod's Law or bad luck? Might just be me.