Additives an preservatives

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it would be impossible to eat anything these days that hasn’t got preservatives or additives in it. I like to eat wild game, but who knows if the crops or grass they have eaten hasn’t bee

I buy most of my meat from a Butchers that sources his meat from different farms ie like the pigs that run free in a wood in a village not far from me. He makes his own sausages cuts his own bacon and

I started keto carnivore last  end July....last year...dropped 2 stone by Christmas....and it was easy... Thing to do is ...when you get hungry...just eat some meat and fat....cheese takes the ed

Posted Images

1 hour ago, steve t said:

@Francie my wife gets leaf fat from organic cattle and processes it into tallow that's what we use to cook with

20240204_191736.jpg

Fckin hell 🤢

I thought it was meringue with maltesers in it....had just sat down with a brew and thought  ' I'd have a slice of that ' 🤣

• Haha 3
14 hours ago, TOMO said:

Not sure what animal pack is....protein shake I assume?

I make my own shake after training...but its just Greek yogurt...2..3 raw eggs...and a glass of milk

Tomo you never have any issues with the raw eggs mate ? Am very suspicious over consuming raw eggs, I only eat scrambled or omelette and won't touch  boiled of fryed ect. The young lad who owns the business next to mine is in fantastic shape and he swears by raw eggs in his shakes in work everyday,  but like I said am suspicious as eggs can be be funny and soon give you the tom tits.  

What a lot of people don't  realise is that a lot of E numbers are used to indicate perfectly natural substances . Things like Lemon juice have E numbers for instance.

As for humans being dedicated carnivores ; it doesn't  seem likely.

My guess is that ,disregarding spiritual beliefs and local customs,  our distant ancestors ate  anything and everything  whenever it was available.    Archeologists have  found that hazel nuts formed a massive part of the diet of our ancestors for instance. These would've  provided plenty of protein and carbohydrates ,could be gathered with little effort and stored easily.

True, the remains of things like small rodents  , reptiles ,insects and  birds might not have lasted  well enough to show in archeological surveys, but neither would the evidence  of a lot of plant foods .

I bet the meat from larger game initially  came from carrion or injured animals but it must've  seemed like windfall  . Once populations grew and hunting techniques and weapons evolved hunting larger game would've  become more organised but  plant foods still formed a big part of the diet due to easy availability.

Basically we are designated omnivores.

I'm always suspicious of rape oil. It wasn't until quite recently  that it could be refined and GMed enough to be considered safe for consumption . Before that it was used as a cheap machine oil!

And unprocessed rape is poisonous to some herbivores.

• Like 4

I remember reading about a test on mice and the half starved ones lived twice as long as the well fed ones. The thing is, who wants to live a long time being hungry and miserable, every minute of every fckn day, 🤣.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, comanche said:

What a lot of people don't  realise is that a lot of E numbers are used to indicate perfectly natural substances . Things like Lemon juice have E numbers for instance.

As for humans being dedicated carnivores ; it doesn't  seem likely.

My guess is that ,disregarding spiritual beliefs and local customs,  our distant ancestors ate  anything and everything  whenever it was available.    Archeologists have  found that hazel nuts formed a massive part of the diet of our ancestors for instance. These would've  provided plenty of protein and carbohydrates ,could be gathered with little effort and stored easily.

True, the remains of things like small rodents  , reptiles ,insects and  birds might not have lasted  well enough to show in archeological surveys, but neither would the evidence  of a lot of plant foods .

I bet the meat from larger game initially  came from carrion or injured animals but it must've  seemed like windfall  . Once populations grew and hunting techniques and weapons evolved hunting larger game would've  become more organised but  plant foods still formed a big part of the diet due to easy availability.

Basically we are designated omnivores.

I'm always suspicious of rape oil. It wasn't until quite recently  that it could be refined and GMed enough to be considered safe for consumption . Before that it was used as a cheap machine oil!

And unprocessed rape is poisonous to some herbivores.

Chimpanzees are a great example of meat eaters that have no tools or weapons . I'd say humans have hunted game for longer than historians believe we have , fish from rivers and seas, man hunting whales in little dinghies, woolly mammoth with nothing but spears , it would seem a ridiculous risk for survival of a species if we didn't require large quantities of meat to thrive , grow strong and defend ourselves against neighbouring tribes...

• Like 1

Exercise, don't abuse alcohol, eat a varied diet of fruit, veg, lean meats, fish, eat as unprocessed as possible without stressing about it. 

Relax and enjoy 👌👍

• Like 1

I've done keto with success and a couple of short fasts. I've stopped drinking since last November. I'm considering keto or close to it again as I'm suffering with tendonitis in shoulder and ankle , various joint pains . I have abused myself over the years , but I'd like to think I can get my health back to less pain at least and hopefully a bit of a regen with a fast . Working away is crap as I'm in the back of beyond at the moment, but it just means being more organised. I've started taking joint supplements couple of days ago and I'm also planning to lose more weight as it's obviously a health risk and joints have had enough,I'm down from 20st to 18.7 Atm just from stopping booze, anyway hopefully see some progress before too long...

• Like 4

I once read all about the Oak Tree and that is just about everywhere humans have been. All along the Silk Road etc and the fact that man relied on it.

The Acorn being a carbohydrate. There are other carbohydrates ie Burdock root, Dandelion  and Bullrush rhizomes these would not have been ignored by early man. I personally thing Fish and Shell fish would have been much easer than hunting large animals for meat and meat would have been a luxury for time to time.

WWW.HEALTHLINE.COM

Acorns are the nuts of oak trees and are often considered poisonous. This article tells you whether acorns are edible and explores their nutrients, benefits...

Cheers Arry

37 minutes ago, Arry said:

I once read all about the Oak Tree and that is just about everywhere humans have been. All along the Silk Road etc and the fact that man relied on it.

The Acorn being a carbohydrate. There are other carbohydrates ie Burdock root, Dandelion  and Bullrush rhizomes these would not have been ignored by early man. I personally thing Fish and Shell fish would have been much easer than hunting large animals for meat and meat would have been a luxury for time to time.

WWW.HEALTHLINE.COM

Acorns are the nuts of oak trees and are often considered poisonous. This article tells you whether acorns are edible and explores their nutrients, benefits...

Cheers Arry

I agree with you on all those things harry...

I'm sure all those things will have been eaten like I said earlier...I should have said animal instead of meat....remember animal includes fish birds molluscs insects....and yes nuts fruit and a few roots....

Like I said though they would need a lot of dandelion or burdock root to get anywhere near the calories from animals and there fat

Also they are seasonal....

I remember Ray mears eating them bull rush tubas....didn't he say they were horrible 

• Like 1

Wish I could put a link up...

Just a simple search on Google hyper carnivores...

Brings up the latest research that says early humans were apex predators...also our stomach acid is different to plant eaters...ours is designed to cope with bacteria from meat...

Ive no idea what they taste like Tomo. As you know I like foraging mostly Fungi but of course most books and sites then go on to plants, fruits, nuts  and roots which to be fair I find interesting.

I also used to field walk to find Stone Age flints which gets you mind thinking into what the tool you find are for. In support of you theory I did find many scrapers which would imply killing animals and preparing hides for meat and cloths. I still think though it would had been a mixed diet.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Arry said:

Ive no idea what they taste like Tomo. As you know I like foraging mostly Fungi but of course most books and sites then go on to plants, fruits, nuts  and roots which to be fair I find interesting.

I also used to field walk to find Stone Age flints which gets you mind thinking into what the tool you find are for. In support of you theory I did find many scrapers which would imply killing animals and preparing hides for meat and cloths. I still think though it would had been a mixed diet.

Cheers Arry

That flint stuff is interesting...watched Ray mears doing that flint napping...others on YouTube as well...

24 minutes ago, TOMO said:

I agree with you on all those things harry...

I'm sure all those things will have been eaten like I said earlier...I should have said animal instead of meat....remember animal includes fish birds molluscs insects....and yes nuts fruit and a few roots....

Like I said though they would need a lot of dandelion or burdock root to get anywhere near the calories from animals and there fat

Also they are seasonal....

I remember Ray mears eating them bull rush tubas....didn't he say they were horrible 

Bullrush tubers are terrible. We tried it as kids after reading the  'SAS survival handbook' 🤣