Hard hitting wheaton lurcher

Just now, Daniel cain said:

Probably in the tackle shop as we speak mate😁..he gave me a list of new gear he wants for xmas....told him he can have the cash,and we hit the boxing day sales👍

WWW.THEBIGONESHOW.CO.UK

100s of fishing tackle companies exhibiting and selling their fantastic fishing products, live talks with...

This one in March mate if he can wait that long 

• Like 1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some dogs are just not destined to make old bones

I hate to break it to you mate. But one day your dog will kill itself. Big, fast, driven dogs that are good…. That’s what happens. We’ve buried three good dogs last three seasons. Also had one retire

greb taking the piss and lads are answering lol 

Posted Images

5 hours ago, terryd said:

On the side of the coin I had beddy whippet very light dog light as feather. Seemed to float all most could work her any where. Caught all her rabbits up against the hedge or in it. One night she didn’t float over a low electric fence which did her leg in unfortunately 

Smaller dogs definitely seem to get away with more don't they. My old dog that died in the field was always a very full on dog and bounced off allsorts of stuff over the years even hitting my car after a bunny on the lamp until a piece of abandoned machinery got him one night.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Sorry too hear that,they say bad luck comes in 3's..been there myself a few times🥺but I'd rather them retire early from injury or even die on the 'job' if I'm honest...got a 4/5 yr old bitch here and shes got teats full of lumps 🙄f***ing waste of a good dog...I wont be spending thousands and having lumps cut out,for them to grow back and get rinsed again 😔.. somethings just aint ment to be 👍

Had the same on my old bull/whippet bitch. had some removed on a couple of occasions, they grow back within months, once they get to a certain size the skin splits. decided in the end there was only one last thing i could do for her. within the next six months i lost another 2 dogs, The last 2 i have owned, one i broke out of the sack and put him in the ground 10 years later. Its not good but its part of owning and working dogs, if you can not get your head around that then the dog game is possibly not for you, That last bit is not aimed at you by the way, Just a general comment Lol. 

6 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Sorry too hear that,they say bad luck comes in 3's..been there myself a few times🥺but I'd rather them retire early from injury or even die on the 'job' if I'm honest...got a 4/5 yr old bitch here and shes got teats full of lumps 🙄f***ing waste of a good dog...I wont be spending thousands and having lumps cut out,for them to grow back and get rinsed again 😔.. somethings just aint ment to be 👍

Sorry to here about your bitch Sean, had the same with an old bitch here but they never started appearing till she was almost 10 whereas lumps started coming up on the big black dog when he was 4.

A real sickener. 

48 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Sorry to here about your bitch Sean, had the same with an old bitch here but they never started appearing till she was almost 10 whereas lumps started coming up on the big black dog when he was 4.

A real sickener. 

Cheers DMD,Is what it is mate👍

• Like 1
On 13/12/2023 at 19:19, gnipper said:

Smaller dogs definitely seem to get away with more don't they. My old dog that died in the field was always a very full on dog and bounced off allsorts of stuff over the years even hitting my car after a bunny on the lamp until a piece of abandoned machinery got him one night.

Yep, by its very nature, Lamping can be dangerous,...nothing much can prevent accidents...

I was once advised by an expert,...to always reconnoitre the running grounds during the daylight hours , prior to venturing out,...just to accertain if there were any obsticals or bits and pieces, that might cause an after -dark collision....🙄

Sounded a great sound-bite,...alas  the naive fool had scant idea of the night hunting game😃

To him it was an exciting game, a mere folly,...something to romantisise and write about,....whereas for others, it was a wee bit more serious..😉

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Yep, by its very nature, Lamping can be dangerous,...nothing much can prevent accidents...

I was once advised by an expert,...to always reconnoitre the running grounds during the daylight hours , prior to venturing out,...just to accertain if there were any obsticals or bits and pieces, that might cause an after -dark collision....🙄

Sounded a great sound-bite,...alas  the naive fool had scant idea of the night hunting game😃

To him it was an exciting game, a mere folly,...something to romantisise and write about,....whereas for others, it was a wee bit more serious..😉

DSC_0034.JPG

you have many whippets over the years phil 

ive got you down as loving  the herding types

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

DSC_0034.JPG

Alas you were a young pretender drawing your dole like a young spunker 

• Haha 3

Scouting ahead is a great idea but for one reason and another not all ways possible 

IMG_0662.jpeg.0bfbee0af57c6d6970d7dbe6735c0b16.jpeg

remember back in the day lamping with couple mates huge flat field looked perfectly harmless. Me and one guy lamped one side and other fella went up the other.

My dog took off after a rabbit which decided to head across this field. Out the beam it went. Thought nothing of it and he took an age to return which was odd. Eventually got back. Let him get his wind and off we went. Met me mate from other side he said he your dog ok he took hell of a tumble there’s big ditch across centre of this field. 

Check dog over seemed fine. Slipped him on next rabbit and he didn’t move. Looked down and he had started fitting. Carried him back to van and home. Laid on me bed and vet straight out. Gone by morning. He was lovely dog hit me hard that one

IMG_0871.jpeg.f23fea6fd8d71f40416aa2e8d1de406e.jpeg

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, terryd said:

Scouting ahead is a great idea but for one reason and another not all ways possible 

IMG_0662.jpeg.0bfbee0af57c6d6970d7dbe6735c0b16.jpeg

remember back in the day lamping with couple mates huge flat field looked perfectly harmless. Me and one guy lamped one side and other fella went up the other.

My dog took off after a rabbit which decided to head across this field. Out the beam it went. Thought nothing of it and he took an age to return which was odd. Eventually got back. Let him get his wind and off we went. Met me mate from other side he said he your dog ok he took hell of a tumble there’s big ditch across centre of this field. 

Check dog over seemed fine. Slipped him on next rabbit and he didn’t move. Looked down and he had started fitting. Carried him back to van and home. Laid on me bed and vet straight out. Gone by morning. He was lovely dog hit me hard that one

IMG_0871.jpeg.f23fea6fd8d71f40416aa2e8d1de406e.jpeg

Northlites gonna have therapy now over that barbed wire

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

It’s a funny one. The one bitch, I cried and I cried. She was a good steady dog, I loved her and she was my mate, I wanted her to get fat and sassy in front of the fire. She went everywhere with me. The one dog however, best animal I’ve ever run, never seen or had a dog like him. He was just perfect, might as well have had a gun. From the first time I ever slipped him it was just a case of when and not if. He was amazing but you couldn’t take him for a walk in the daytime. He was a machine created for one thing and one thing only. The kind of dog that howls and  screams in the kennel as soon as it’s dark and the wind blows. I was gutted to lose him, but it was always written to end like that for him.

The funny thing is I have three dogs now, well, a bitch and two dogs. I think very very highly of the bitch, she is a proven animal, and now I am very careful where I run her because I’ve yet to breed her (she’s from a line of dogs we’ve kept), she gets less catches and less work because I am keeping her safe. The older of my two dogs is the top end of average, never going to be a world beater and never going to be bred from. I run him hard on anything, anywhere. His fate will be what it will, but I expect he will Make old bones. 

And then I have the hard hitting wheaten Lurcher, just like the man above. Sounds a very similar dog. And it’s a fine line between pushing him to show what he can do and be, and killing him. End of the day, what will be; will be.

But one bit of advice. People on here say you can’t breed a dog before it’s done 5 seasons etc. but if you’ve been around and had dogs, you know a real one when you see it. If you have a real one, get it bred, before it killS itself ! 

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Whoknows said:

It’s a funny one. The one bitch, I cried and I cried. She was a good steady dog, I loved her and she was my mate, I wanted her to get fat and sassy in front of the fire. She went everywhere with me. The one dog however, best animal I’ve ever run, never seen or had a dog like him. He was just perfect, might as well have had a gun. From the first time I ever slipped him it was just a case of when and not if. He was amazing but you couldn’t take him for a walk in the daytime. He was a machine created for one thing and one thing only. The kind of dog that howls and  screams in the kennel as soon as it’s dark and the wind blows. I was gutted to lose him, but it was always written to end like that for him.

The funny thing is I have three dogs now, well, a bitch and two dogs. I think very very highly of the bitch, she is a proven animal, and now I am very careful where I run her because I’ve yet to breed her (she’s from a line of dogs we’ve kept), she gets less catches and less work because I am keeping her safe. The older of my two dogs is the top end of average, never going to be a world beater and never going to be bred from. I run him hard on anything, anywhere. His fate will be what it will, but I expect he will Make old bones. 

And then I have the hard hitting wheaten Lurcher, just like the man above. Sounds a very similar dog. And it’s a fine line between pushing him to show what he can do and be, and killing him. End of the day, what will be; will be.

But one bit of advice. People on here say you can’t breed a dog before it’s done 5 seasons etc. but if you’ve been around and had dogs, you know a real one when you see it. If you have a real one, get it bred, before it killS itself ! 

Fully agree, plus some dogs will achieve in 2 seasons what other dogs wouldn’t achieve in 10. Even if they don’t kill themselves a career ending injury is always only 1 run away so it pays to have a replacement coming through.

On 12/12/2023 at 10:23, jackofalltrades said:

I've a wheaton lurcher  thats 28tts, he leaves crime scenes every day he's out, he works day and night on all game except rabbits, problem I'm having is that he's hitting ditchs as hard and as fast as he goes on the lamp after game, any ideas to slow him down coming to a ditch or bank

Put him away and cross too decent bitches take a pup outta each and future proof yourself, use the dog to bring on the pups, 

Unfortunately my friend when you own dogs that carry such a stature the enviable will happen I my self have own a few dogs that have no breaks 1 dog I had not long back was near enough full hound this bitch met her fate 1 night running a bunny down the beam towards my vehicle unfortunately she hit the side of the car full tilt died a few hours after shame but it is the nature of the beast, my friend had a very good beddy grey bitch that was like lightning very hand bitch indeed 1 night she was let out the motor for an empty out before the night had started she spotted a bunny heading towards a fence line lamp was put on the bunny headed for a gap on the rabbit wire as the bitch got in close for a strike the bunny was near enough through and unfortunately her head had on the wire causing her to tumble over she broke her neck instantly. Many people have lost dogs in the field its not nice but it is what it is you can't wrap them up in cotton wool 

• Like 3