Shits??

Right, don't know if anybody dog similar to Buck, regards  the shits. I've been feeding 1lb rawmince chicken, and bit of biscuit for years. Both him and old Bryn that I had same food, always eat well, plenty of energy etc, the 1st shit norm type stool, the next sloppy, and if another, sloppy. It norm type brand (arkwright) chicken, 19 % protein  and norm  other stuff, with cereals. Now   I always thought lot lurchers are bit like  them, bit loose etc. Buck old now he 11, he OK just old dog, i told my vet that he gets bit loose and some times there like a small clear type bag that comes out as well, she said from the colon, and raw mince chicken prob up setting stomach, said cook it to kill any bacteria well I've started doing that, and still bit loose, so it prob the meal. She a good vet, husband a farmer, she knows about working dogs,. So what I do now is give him the cooked  minced chicken   but feed with boiled rice that aways helps him. I just wonder if anybody know  biscuit (meal) that's more dogs with sensitive guts.  Thanks. Ray

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old dogs are often like old Hunting Men...😃 As time goes by, their ability to cope with Meat Bones and Raw flesh sometimes dimishes... For that reason, I now feed all my Veteran rabbiters on

Mine did that and the vet said I had 2 wean the dog off by giving it diminishing amounts of margarine for 2 weeks then stop ,well after 2 weeks dog still had the shits so back 2 the vet who looked sho

All My dogs will eat whats put out in front of them bar the 1 terrier,wont entertain kidneys,dirty bitch prefers to f***ing pick it out the bowl and roll in it 🙄... I only feed them game thats be

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, bird said:

Right, don't know if anybody dog similar to Buck, regards  the shits. I've been feeding 1lb rawmince chicken, and bit of biscuit for years. Both him and old Bryn that I had same food, always eat well, plenty of energy etc, the 1st shit norm type stool, the next sloppy, and if another, sloppy. It norm type brand (arkwright) chicken, 19 % protein  and norm  other stuff, with cereals. Now   I always thought lot lurchers are bit like  them, bit loose etc. Buck old now he 11, he OK just old dog, i told my vet that he gets bit loose and some times there like a small clear type bag that comes out as well, she said from the colon, and raw mince chicken prob up setting stomach, said cook it to kill any bacteria well I've started doing that, and still bit loose, so it prob the meal. She a good vet, husband a farmer, she knows about working dogs,. So what I do now is give him the cooked  minced chicken   but feed with boiled rice that aways helps him. I just wonder if anybody know  biscuit (meal) that's more dogs with sensitive guts.  Thanks. Ray

Try a grain free un mate 

17 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Try a grain free un mate 

Thanks, any idea where, or what brands that might be? I was going to type in a meal for sensitive stomach s etc,  I think read few years ago that some gsds are bit prone to sensitive guts, well he 1/2 gsd, but old Bryn my collie x grey was bit similar as well. The wife having look on her phone now as well, for   brand sensitive guts. 

13 minutes ago, walshie said:

My old ridgeback could only eat James Wellbeloved dry food. Anything cheaper and she either had the shits or was sick. I'm sure there are other cheaper options with the same ingredients if you look for them.  

Thanks dave, you  right loads out there,   prob need to get just enough for say a week, if he OK then get  more (bigger bag) could be the chicken, scratching me bald head here lol

• Like 1

My pal who kept and bred working shepherds only ever fed beef and lamb said he found chicken would upset their guts. Sensitive guts definitely seems to be a bit of a problem with shepherds in general just about finding what works for yours.

Boiled chicken and rice has been used to feed a dog with an upset stomach for years, The same as rice water instead of water. 

The problem with minced chicken or any meat for the pet trade is the quality can vary. I use to buy boxes of 20 1 kilo blocks from a bloke down the local track. Lost count of the amount of times i had to take it back the next week as it stunk when defrosted. He admitted his freezers were not the best!. you only have to look at the scandal a few years ago when condemned meat destined for the pet trade was being bleached and put back into the human food trade. 

Best advice would be, the cheapest is not always the best but the expensive one, might be crap as well Lol

On 17/09/2023 at 12:42, bird said:

Old dogs are often like old Hunting Men...😃

As time goes by, their ability to cope with Meat Bones and Raw flesh sometimes dimishes...

For that reason, I now feed all my Veteran rabbiters on a mix of Lidl frozen chicken breasts, mixed with a Senior type of grain free, Lamb and Rice kibble...

Obviously, I throw in a raw egg a couple of times a week,..but more importantly, I try not to overfeed  them .

Copious, regular excersise is a great  aid to their digestion, and I allow the dogs, plenty of retieving games and other beneficial excersise. 

It's a sad fact,.but, as some of us drift off into antiquity,...nothing remains the same....

I just wish that I could go round again...just one more time.🤔

Unfortunately, we cannot, and sadly,...neither can our dogs🙄

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 13

Do many people feed raw game? Venison, rabbit, pheasant? Is it as beneficial as fatty meats like lamb and beef? In the shooting season I have access to as much pheasant, partridge and duck as  I want, but what’s peoples opinions on feeding dogs game that contain lead shot?