XL Bully Ban Incoming

3 minutes ago, mackay said:

I had one of Plummers alaunts from the first litter he bred. Basically a mastiff to a pit/greyhound. I didn't buy into the recreating the medieval alaunt malarky I just wanted a healthy mastiff. She was a great dog, trustworthy and honest and was never near a vet in her life. I bred her with a pure mastiff a couple of times and the pups were tightened up fit and to all intents and purposes mastiffs. She went to twelve and a couple of pups I knew of made fourteen.

Never had the chance to get hands on with one of those alaunts but always really liked the look of them, as you say basically just nice fit mastiffs. Is anyone still breeding them I wonder? Never really hear about them anymore.

1 minute ago, downsouth said:

Ive been saying the same for years.Some of the origional bandogs I saw 10+ years ago when they were still in the hands of genuine enthusiasts were amazing dogs.Very capable guards but calm/sensible and very stable to go with it.Unfortunately they also became popular and idiots jumped on the bandwagon and started chucking any old shit together and calling them bandogs without understanding how a bandog should even behave.

That calm stability is exacty what I've always loved about bandogs, real pleasant dogs to live with unlike your real headbanger rottweilers, presa and shepherds etc. All the top bandogs I've known were also perfect house dogs and at the end of the day that's what you need out of a family/home protection dog. I'd never own another breed if I needed a guard but as you say would take a lot of sorting the wheat from the chaff with all the wankers breeding them these days.

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's it... I'm out of here!! 

I'm pretty easy going and tolerant about most things ,but every time I see one of those big fat ugly useless earless bags of shite towing a skinny scruffy trackie wearing waste of space and his tattoo

Here's the common sense approach i.m.o... XL bullies added to the existing DDA. Making it illegal to breed and sell so, in theory no other dogs being added to the existing population. A

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mackay said:

I had one of Plummers alaunts from the first litter he bred. Basically a mastiff to a pit/greyhound. I didn't buy into the recreating the medieval alaunt malarky I just wanted a healthy mastiff. She was a great dog, trustworthy and honest and was never near a vet in her life. I bred her with a pure mastiff a couple of times and the pups were tightened up fit and to all intents and purposes mastiffs. She went to twelve and a couple of pups I knew of made fourteen.

I saw a couple of alaunts xs work nice to look at but not worth a carrot work wise compared to a genuine bull x 

44 minutes ago, BGD said:

Never had the chance to get hands on with one of those alaunts but always really liked the look of them, as you say basically just nice fit mastiffs. Is anyone still breeding them I wonder? Never really hear about them anymore.

That calm stability is exacty what I've always loved about bandogs, real pleasant dogs to live with unlike your real headbanger rottweilers, presa and shepherds etc. All the top bandogs I've known were also perfect house dogs and at the end of the day that's what you need out of a family/home protection dog. I'd never own another breed if I needed a guard but as you say would take a lot of sorting the wheat from the chaff with all the wankers breeding them these days.

Think there’s a chap fenland forager on Facebook who keeps them? 

• Like 1

Boy along road from my mums got a Neoplaton mastiff got it from a local puppy farmer that imported and took a couple litters cropped ears and red colour not sure if that’s a breed standard colour anyway I was shocked when I found out what it was I thought it was a bandog but it’s exactly the same as the old pics you seem of them back in the day looks like it’s bred for a purpose and work and is laid back as out I’ll try get a pic but not sure he’ll be happy about it 

7 minutes ago, saluki bouy said:

Boy along road from my mums got a Neoplaton mastiff got it from a local puppy farmer that imported and took a couple litters cropped ears and red colour not sure if that’s a breed standard colour anyway I was shocked when I found out what it was I thought it was a bandog but it’s exactly the same as the old pics you seem of them back in the day looks like it’s bred for a purpose and work and is laid back as out I’ll try get a pic but not sure he’ll be happy about it 

Aye it's still possible to find the less "typey" neapolitans and some of them really do look impressive and generally have decent temperaments but they'll still be plagued with the health problems and resulting short lifespan you see in all the modern mastiff breeds sadly. I'd never own a pure mastiff TBH a proper bandog is everything a mastiff should be.

2 hours ago, BGD said:

The cross makes for a healthier, fitter more capable and driven mastiff. Basically just correcting lot of the problems you see in modern mastiff breeds.

Tools for jobs and as far as guard/protection dogs go I've not found a better tool than a decent bandog and I've been around plenty of supposed super guardian breeds.

Definitely the mastiff needs putting right one of the oldest breeds so the first on the hit list for KC standards.

I too have been around this breed and the fittest old English mastiff  I saw resembled a great Dane but was a ped he made 11 I think that was due to keeping the weight off by plenty of exercise and running had the most amazing good temperament unless he was attacked by other dogs ( which happened a lot) most would run in all aggressive and he would just stand still and most would stop and turn tail lol the really stupid ones would be pinned down by the throat until it calmed then he let go. The rest i have known were riddled with illness and defects in the skeleton from years of bad breeding they were a vets dream client 😆 So I think they do need out crossing quite badly really. A bit like what Dave Platts is doing for the deerhound 👍

We want strong healthy animals not Frankenstein's hound lol

5 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

The “Alaunt” was quite popular around the Scottish Borders a few years back.

A lad who was on here had a one, Zeus, that I saw a few times, I’m sure he won’t mind me putting up a couple of pics I took of the dog;

ED4CC507-F3D1-4FE7-8686-A36A701624C0.jpeg.472f6d7d2381bf0119ec68baaed25259.jpeg

DBA0113D-74C7-4D0D-9FA7-CAF3CDA5D527.jpeg.fcc3e4cc8da92d5a6666206d245a1d03.jpeg

Cheers.

Your not joking about there popularity can’t drive through Hawick without seeing three I work with Zeus’s owner some man himself 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Chaff said:

Definitely the mastiff needs putting right one of the oldest breeds so the first on the hit list for KC standards.

I too have been around this breed and the fittest old English mastiff  I saw resembled a great Dane but was a ped he made 11 I think that was due to keeping the weight off by plenty of exercise and running had the most amazing good temperament unless he was attacked by other dogs ( which happened a lot) most would run in all aggressive and he would just stand still and most would stop and turn tail lol the really stupid ones would be pinned down by the throat until it calmed then he let go. The rest i have known were riddled with illness and defects in the skeleton from years of bad breeding they were a vets dream client 😆 So I think they do need out crossing quite badly really. A bit like what Dave Platts is doing for the deerhound 👍

We want strong healthy animals not Frankenstein's hound lol

It really is a tragedy what's been done to these once great breeds that are such a huge part of the history of this country, literally going back thousands of years Britain was known for it's mastiffs and now they've been reduced to a sad caricature, exactly the same with the British bulldog. I know there was a couple of lads years back that were breeding heavily English mastiff blooded bandogs with a view to "recreating" the breed but as with most of those projects nothing really came of it as far as I know.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, saluki bouy said:

Your not joking about there popularity can’t drive through Hawick without seeing three I work with Zeus’s owner some man himself 

It’s been a while, but I’m sure one of those pics is from Hawick, the other from Bedlington.

Zues’ owner is a good lad, I’ve had a few conversations with him. 
Cheers.

47 minutes ago, saluki bouy said:

A bloke I know had been involved in guard/protection dogs for a long time said that the most dangerous dog he had ever encountered was a neo that the owner had encouraged to have a crack at passing strangers in his terrace house and it had flipped. 

1 hour ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Think there’s a chap fenland forager on Facebook who keeps them? 

DG he's been breeding them for years , he was involved with the original stock I'm sure 

1 hour ago, saluki bouy said:

You know him sir? I’ve not seen him for a couple years unsure if he’s still got I’m sure he will have a granddaughter of the original but never heard much on grapevine 

he’s some man had an electric collar in his pick up when we were fencing and the idiot that worked with us come marching along the fence line to me and the boss the Alaunt man’s cousin with the bloody collar around his neck and he zapped him with it I’ll never forget that moment till the day I pass away