Home Euthanasia

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well it went well a very professional service from Serenity vet services from Armthorpe in Doncaster the woman who administered the injection was very professional and the old dog never flinched wile

I know it's not so easy for others but it ain't about how other folk feel it's between you and your dog and the right thing to do, it's a private walk(other don't need to know the details) just two of

Buried him in the garden and planted an apple tree. Variety called Red Devil.....because he was pretty close to a devil! Definitely a character and won't be forgotten.

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, fireman said:

I once watched my misses old dog fight the PTS jab,she screamed for ages until she died and no dog i ever own will be put through that again,it breaks my heart every time but i know it's quick and painless and it's a 22 everytime with every dog....

That's what I am dreading Tuesday morning mate and the option I am choosing is more to keep family members happy and I wouldn't want my grandkids who are dog lovers but they obviously don't have the same mindset like us who have hunted with dogs to remember their grandfather when I shake a 7 to someone who shot his old dog. It's a fekin tough one to say the least and it's draining me a bit mentally that I put down to getting old myself. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

That's what I am dreading Tuesday morning mate and the option I am choosing is more to keep family members happy and I wouldn't want my grandkids who are dog lovers but they obviously don't have the same mindset like us who have hunted with dogs to remember their grandfather when I shake a 7 to someone who shot his old dog. It's a fekin tough one to say the least and it's draining me a bit mentally that I put down to getting old myself. 

I know it's not so easy for others but it ain't about how other folk feel it's between you and your dog and the right thing to do, it's a private walk(other don't need to know the details) just two of you take and it's the worse wrenching thing but it's also a special time of total love and respect for your best friend and i for one won't let anyone else end the journey me and that dog have taken together..

Do hope it goes as well as it can what ever way the old dog passes and bless you and it mate..:victory:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
20 hours ago, Chid said:

What's a decent ending ?

A dog that's never been to the vets , gets took to the vets to be injected.. by someone who it's never met .

Or taking it out for a final walk and doing it yourself while the dogs looking down the field happy as can be being out doing what it loves ..

I know which one I'd choose if it was me .

Well you won't get it ,Liverpool care pathway ,loads of morphine, not every one has the option of a walk with a gun 

• Like 1

I did all my own except sonic as he was my son's dog and he wanted the vet ,the vet told me at one point ,a gun was just as humane and faster than the lethal jab,...a tough job to do but it's always the only option left

• Like 3
21 hours ago, Chid said:

What's a decent ending ?

A dog that's never been to the vets , gets took to the vets to be injected.. by someone who it's never met .

Or taking it out for a final walk and doing it yourself while the dogs looking down the field happy as can be being out doing what it loves ..

I know which one I'd choose if it was me .

Let me know when the time comes mate. No charge. (JOKE ffs)

With my old lurcher Trevor I took him to the vets, the vet prepped him and left, I administered the last, just Trev and me in that moment…. and then my mate and the vet came back in when it was done and we were all crying mate. Fuucking still breaks my heart now, 10 years later but I know it was right and I’d want the same for me ;) 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, dytkos said:

Never easy, whatever way it's done.

Best wishes Tats.

D.

Cheers mate. Just be glad when it's over and done with even though we're still managing a walk out in a morning she is getting weaker and is hardly eating Just wish there was a tablet you could give them and they passed in their sleep. 

Well all this talk of putting gun to hits head, and blasting it brains through front of it head, I did get  lurcher x lurcher shot for me, by the local hunt man, took the dog back of kennels and shot her, she tried to get back to me, OK she was vicious twat with dogs/ people, but fine with me. I do really think the old injection in the wrist is far better, don't hurt, more humane than all this macho crap, putting a hole in its head. Old Bryn, pts no prob, vet kind gentle, plus they get rid of the body for you, I do the same with old Buck when the times right. ?

• Like 4
51 minutes ago, bird said:

Well all this talk of putting gun to hits head, and blasting it brains through front of it head, I did get  lurcher x lurcher shot for me, by the local hunt man, took the dog back of kennels and shot her, she tried to get back to me, OK she was vicious twat with dogs/ people, but fine with me. I do really think the old injection in the wrist is far better, don't hurt, more humane than all this macho crap, putting a hole in its head. Old Bryn, pts no prob, vet kind gentle, plus they get rid of the body for you, I do the same with old Buck when the times right. ?

Who mentioned gun to its head and blasting brains etc. Do it correctly with a 22 and there;s not any of that. The jab isn't more humane than a bullet, I'd argue that a bullet is more humane. No decent dog man does the last final service to their friend and companion to look fecking macho, they're doing it with the dogs best interests in mind. I wouldn't knock anyone who isn't capable of doing it, however they shouldn't knock anyone who is.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Had my old beddy whippet put to sleep about 4yrs ago she had cancer I could see it was time at the bar for her but she was just hanging on for my sake I called the vet up they charged me £150 as she was under 20kg to do a home visit an put her to sleep they were brilliant very professional it’s far better than putting a dog through stress taking them to a vet especially if there not regulars in the vet like my old beddy whippet wasn’t I think she’d only been to the vets 4 times in her life £150 well spent in my eyes. I’ll probably be putting my line bred collie x down in the next few months as I can see it’s nearly time it’ll probably be double what I paid for the beddy whippet as she’s a big old girl. I’m not normally a man that cry’s not even at family members funerals but I’ve got a feeling I’ll have to disappear for a few hours or more after getting the old collie x pts as she got me though a lot when I was going through a rough patch in life she gave me reason an hope to keep pushing on. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, mackay said:

Who mentioned gun to its head and blasting brains etc. Do it correctly with a 22 and there;s not any of that. The jab isn't more humane than a bullet, I'd argue that a bullet is more humane. No decent dog man does the last final service to their friend and companion to look fecking macho, they're doing it with the dogs best interests in mind. I wouldn't knock anyone who isn't capable of doing it, however they shouldn't knock anyone who is.

Spot on

• Like 3
8 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Cheers mate. Just be glad when it's over and done with even though we're still managing a walk out in a morning she is getting weaker and is hardly eating Just wish there was a tablet you could give them and they passed in their sleep. 

really feel for you tats and your family, gets harder as you get older,especially when the dog has been through thick and thin with you, and been a good companion,but the time comes when the old dog thief  calls timeon our honest and loyal workers, lost 2 dogs last year which was a real blow, but even though im near 70 yrs of age, ive got a nice young dog here now that keeps me going, he will definetly be my last, probably  out live me, but like you the dogs have always been my life,my thoughts are with you chin up mate,your doing right.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, mackay said:

ok then, you tell me exactly how shoot the dog, do you use pistol, or rifle , 2nd where do you shoot it, is just back of the head .? and is it instant  death .? like said the huntman, who work for the kennels, kill any old or injured hounds. all iknow that from the deaths of my lurchers who been pts, old bryn was last dog 18 months, it was very good gentle , different  situation  when done at the hunt kennel. i not saying it not done right, but by choice i deff use my vet again with old Buck when i have to, you can pm if you want.!