• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wife just got me this little article…..a pure prick, just how I like them.

First time in 52 years I have not had a dog around me sat here twiddling my thumbs after been up since 5 am. I need another dog if only for my mental health. It's an emptiness I can't describe when yo

Any dog is “tying”, not just a lurcher or terrier, but so are cage birds, horses, poultry, etc. Now, I’m most definitely NOT having a pop at anyone who thinks having a lurcher is “to tying”, but

Posted Images

I'm probably a lot younger than some of you lads contemplating your last dogs but the boat I'm in at the minute is say I've had my last hunting dog. I've always said I'd get a staff or a gundog in the future but knowing my luck I'd end up with a dog aggressive psycho of a staff so it's looking like the gundog route for me as a family dog I can still get our with. I miss having a dog around the place but I can see the benefits of not having one to worry about too.

• Like 3

Im hopefully a long way from my last dog but if the world doesn’t change too dramatically then the cockers I’ve got now would do me. Easy dogs that fit my life, rather than the other way round, and I could work them 5 days a week in retirement if I wanted. All about balance, even now.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, paulus said:

When i lost the last 2 of mine in a short succession I found the freedom was hard to get use to, At first, But then the idea and freedom of being able to book a flight for the next day and just go anywhere, without all the hassle of sorting out dogs made it better. Never had so many holidays Lol.  

Thats it mate,we try and get away most weekends in the motorhome from May till September,lucky that the coast is 1/2 hr away,but it means we  also take a car,one of us will drive back to sort the dogs out,grab more supplies etc ? not f***ing Ideal when ive been on the southern the night before lol...we alternate and take 2 dogs with us most of the time...while 4 stay put...DSC_2615.JPG.a8e1c8d7874aa01058c30329acbd639c.JPG

This old lurcher I have here is on it's last legs and I don't think I am getting another with being 63 next and all the hassle with having any running dog it wouldn't be a lurcher if I were to get one. I think it's the routine I will miss tbh with working afternoon's as I am out walking the dog every morning. 

16 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Thats it mate,we try and get away most weekends in the motorhome from May till September,lucky that the coast is 1/2 hr away,but it means we  also take a car,one of us will drive back to sort the dogs out,grab more supplies etc ? not f***ing Ideal when ive been on the southern the night before lol...we alternate and take 2 dogs with us most of the time...while 4 stay put...DSC_2615.JPG.a8e1c8d7874aa01058c30329acbd639c.JPG

Don't get me wrong i still miss having dogs, But at this time in my life the Pro`s of not having any far out way the cons of owning another. I was tempted with a 4 year old Lakeland dog last night Lol

1 hour ago, mr moocher said:

always fancied a patterdale i remember years ago in the states they was into pitbull pat xs i bet they could go some

Was a phase here years back mate where small pits were added to Pat lines to create show stopping heads and jaws .I had a 1/16 stud dog that did well in the ground but he was dog aggressive .At the time it didn’t matter but as times gone on  I’m still looking at another dog aggressive terrier 6 gens down the line .Many breeders deny it but it happened .Can name 3 well known breeders did it more than once .

• Like 2

@keepdiggin

It's actually a very good question, and something I've been mulling over all day.

And, recently I've been getting back into my fishing and air rifle shooting, so, in the not too distant future I might 'need' another dog, but it WON'T be an out and out working lurcher!!  Lol ?

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, shaaark said:

@keepdiggin

It's actually a very good question, and something I've been mulling over all day.

And, recently I've been getting back into my fishing and air rifle shooting, so, in the not too distant future I might 'need' another dog, but it WON'T be an out and out working lurcher!!  Lol ?

Cheers mate lol

i won’t ever own another lurcher or terrier again that’s for sure would rather see them die out then be in pet homes tbh 

• Like 1

Any dog is “tying”, not just a lurcher or terrier, but so are cage birds, horses, poultry, etc.

Now, I’m most definitely NOT having a pop at anyone who thinks having a lurcher is “to tying”, but lurcher work can’t be your passion. 
I’ve never had a problem finding friends to take care of my animals, and I’d say I’ve done more than average amount of travelling.

Ive never been without a dog since I was 13, and I hope I still have a dog when my time is up.

Cheers.

• Like 9