4 hours ago, bird said:

well only ever had 1 in my 70 years on this earth, was in think  1973 in Spain , me and my younger brother  were out on this peddle boats things in the seas, was about 1/2 mile out. we started to take turns diving from these boats things, anyway i not bad diver , my turn i ive dived in  but hit my chest as went in with sway of the boat, cut me chest , yeh  blood in water . well at the time Jaws had just come out lol, well as i was swimming back  to boat, he shouted shark , fook me there was shit and blood in water now haha  , i turned round and looked it was coming right at me, though i wont get up on boat quick enough . if on land at least you can try to run , get up tree, or fight , i prob go for last if i had to.   it  swam around me   came  in right by , it was dolphin   thank fook for that lol, it came by me foot for about 1 min   then swam off.  yeh in the sea  i always feel vulnerable  even though when younger  and fit, ok in water not bad at diving ,  but sharks would give me panic attack deff . 

DyAUYUwW0AAmUjD.jpg

• Haha 5

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It can be difficult to watch someone having a genuine panic attack ,you feel helpless watching a grown man sobbing and wailing ,I remember Tomo getting to Greggs just as the 'sold out ' sign went up .

I think there is clearly a lot of misunderstanding of the problem here probably clouded by those people that just jump on a band wagon and claim to have them undiagnosed my misses has genuine panic at

Witnessed the very same within my closesr family... spent strange times walking all hours of the night/morning just to "get out of the house"... to see proper anxiety/depression etc first hand and rea

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Francie, said:

Why do you think people put brown bags over there mouth when there panicking or hyperventalating?

To reduce the amount of oxygen to the brain mate which fuels hyperventilating and makes it worse .Slows down the heart rate too .

• Like 2

Many moons ago, I suffered with panic disorder, which is basically a panic attack that lasted for the best part of 9months. From about 20/30seconds after I woke in the morning, to the point I would shake myself to sleep at night. All rational thought out of the window, you are pretty much convinced you are about to die. They came out of nowhere, just slowly crept up, then took ahold of my waking days. Would become very aggressive and tunnel visioned. It's caused by a massive adrenaline dump on the system, a bye product of our old selves when fight or flight from predators/danger was more prevalent. The mind convinces itself there's an immediate danger and dumps adrenaline on the system where it is not needed. Genuinely wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I slowly learnt to control it/recognise the onset and nip it in the bud, but not before a living hell that I more than once seriously contemplated removing myself from. Something you really have to experience to get. ...

Yokel

• Like 9
26 minutes ago, YOKEL said:

Many moons ago, I suffered with panic disorder, which is basically a panic attack that lasted for the best part of 9months. From about 20/30seconds after I woke in the morning, to the point I would shake myself to sleep at night. All rational thought out of the window, you are pretty much convinced you are about to die. They came out of nowhere, just slowly crept up, then took ahold of my waking days. Would become very aggressive and tunnel visioned. It's caused by a massive adrenaline dump on the system, a bye product of our old selves when fight or flight from predators/danger was more prevalent. The mind convinces itself there's an immediate danger and dumps adrenaline on the system where it is not needed. Genuinely wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I slowly learnt to control it/recognise the onset and nip it in the bud, but not before a living hell that I more than once seriously contemplated removing myself from. Something you really have to experience to get. ...

Yokel

Listened to a JRE podcast at the weekend with Luke combs and he described something very similar. Except his was like what he called pure ocd or something. Said it was where his mind became fixated on a bad thought which would trigger adrenaline. It’d last for ages. He said the only way he overcame it was to just accept that whatever the thought was would happen. Kinda face the fear. Sounds similar though.

2 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

He said the only way he overcame it was to just accept that whatever the thought was would happen. Kinda face the fear. Sounds similar though.

Exactly that! It would get to a point where you would just "give up" say "go on then, do your worst" then it lost its grip. Like a bad trip, you just have to let it wash over you. Easier said than done when you're convinced you're going to die! But once you've grabbed the f.ucker by the throat once, it slowly get easier...

Yokel

• Like 2
7 hours ago, tinytiger said:

Oweing a shitload of money (to psychopathic people) for coke. 

A lot of truth in that a lad local to me committed suicide a few years back leaving a young family due to him being in debt to coke dealers. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, bird said:

well only ever had 1 in my 70 years on this earth, was in think  1973 in Spain , me and my younger brother  were out on this peddle boats things in the seas, was about 1/2 mile out. we started to take turns diving from these boats things, anyway i not bad diver , my turn i ive dived in  but hit my chest as went in with sway of the boat, cut me chest , yeh  blood in water . well at the time Jaws had just come out lol, well as i was swimming back  to boat, he shouted shark , fook me there was shit and blood in water now haha  , i turned round and looked it was coming right at me, though i wont get up on boat quick enough . if on land at least you can try to run , get up tree, or fight , i prob go for last if i had to.   it  swam around me   came  in right by , it was dolphin   thank fook for that lol, it came by me foot for about 1 min   then swam off.  yeh in the sea  i always feel vulnerable  even though when younger  and fit, ok in water not bad at diving ,  but sharks would give me panic attack deff . 

I’m very disappointed in that raymondo as I assumed that Buck , (1/2 gsd / 1/2 grey , 28 ins , big dog ) was gonna emerge like Godzilla and between you and him karated off the Beast . 

great story though . 

Mental health isnt something most of us can really understand we just try and wing it as best we can,a good friend of mine has suffered with panic/anxiety for as long as i can remember without any actual diagnosis,over a short period he just works himself up into a state about things,mostly health related.....i used to get annoyed with him but have realised over the years that just adds to his anxiety and nowadays just try and get him out for a nice long countryside walk which often seems to ease him a bit ...this is a chap ive seen hold strong in some very unpleasant situations so to watch him literally fall to pieces over what id consider nothing is not only upsetting to watch but very strange/frustrating/confusing.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 6
8 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Mental health isnt something most of us can really understand we just try and wing it as best we can,a good friend of mine has suffered with panic/anxiety for as long as i can remember without any actual diagnosis,over a short period he just works himself up into a state about things,mostly health related.....i used to get annoyed with him but have realised over the years that just adds to his anxiety and nowadays just try and get him out for a nice long countryside walk which often seems to ease him a bit ...this is a chap ive seen hold strong in some very unpleasant situations so to watch him literally fall to pieces over what id consider nothing is not only upsetting to watch but very strange/frustrating/confusing.

Your doing the right thing taking him for walks ...solvitor ambulando .

Ive suffered with severe panic attacks n anxiety for 20 plus yrs ive never taken illegal drugs or drink only once year if that i dont know what bring em on neither do drs medication sort of helps but cant go into crowded places etc 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Witnessed the very same within my closesr family... spent strange times walking all hours of the night/morning just to "get out of the house"... to see proper anxiety/depression etc first hand and realise the impact on all of those around it is completely different to the "look at me and my mental health" brigade...which in my opinion are detracting from a very real issue for some people..this almost fashion statement of mental health is bullshit, it makes a mockery of those who really suffer...

• Like 14