Feeding kids ?

Why cannot people feed their kids ! what is the problem ? my Mam brought me and my sister up through the 40s & 50s with no help from anyone and we never went without and we always had a few days at Skeggy or Yarmouth in the July Fortnight money was tight but she got by so what is so different now ? as for free School meals she would sooner have her Nails pull out than ask for that, so what is it ? have people no pride ? or can they really not afford to provide a bit of grub for their kids .?

micks pics 229.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know of people struggling to feed kids but have brand new cars on drive newest phones kids dressed from head to toe in Adidas full sky tv package new phones  and go out drinking every weekend,  my k

Personally, I  think you should never condemn anybody until  you've  walked  in their shoes. What happens to you in life is a mixture of choices and luck...good or bad. Some people make poor choices o

Schools no longer provide cooking lessons for dare I say it girls .Boys no longer learn woodwork I’m told .Society has f****d up tradition and our kids ,kids will pay the price .My wife can rustle up

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, micky said:

Why cannot people feed their kids ! what is the problem ? my Mam brought me and my sister up through the 40s & 50s with no help from anyone and we never went without and we always had a few days at Skeggy or Yarmouth in the July Fortnight money was tight but she got by so what is so different now ? as for free School meals she would sooner have her Nails pull out than ask for that, so what is it ? have people no pride ? or can they really not afford to provide a bit of grub for their kids .?

micks pics 229.jpg

I think it’s the instant want everything now pay later way society has been altered, money has no value it’s just an app on the phone now we’re as we used to budget for everything and when it was gone you stopped spending, plus there are a lot less people now that are willing to kill there own lunch ?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think a vast amount of younger people don’t actually know how to produce homemade healthy meals for their kids, the just eat generations… some of the young lads at work feed their families are entirely on takeaways. And now they are struggling to afford them they don’t know what to do 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
45 minutes ago, micky said:

micks pics 229.jpg

I get what you’re saying to a degree, but there are a lot of folks trying to scrape by on minimum wage salaries, or even zero hour contracts. These people were living hand to mouth 12 months ago, add the fairly substantial increases in food, gas/electric, petrol, mortgage/rent and some people are really on their uppers now. 

We were dirt poor for a time when I was nipper, and seldom what you might call flush…, but fortunately never had to suffer the indignity of free school meals etc. I genuinely feel empathy for those people that work hard and try and raise their kids right, but never seem to get ahead. Think the last few decades have been easier than maybe what it was like when I was wee. The basics of home economics have been lost, and for a lot even the skill of actually cooking a decent nourishing meal. There’s a generation now bringing up kids on heated up ready meals and take-aways, because that’s all they were ever fed.., no wonder for some it’s a choice of eat or heat.
Fcuk me, when I were a lad in the 70’s, we’d be lucky if we got treated to a chippy tea once a month when my old fella got paid. Some now are pleading poverty whilst ordering a McD’s delivery every other day on their iphone. Levels. I do feel for the kids though, it’s not their fault.

• Like 5

People are struggling yes.

But put a post on Facebook offering free rabbits or pheasant. You will get more abuse than interest.

I couldn't even give rainbow trout away.

We are in a bad situation alright....not sure if hunger or ignorance is the biggest issue 

• Like 1

Glad I got free school meals, I never thought of the stigma attached to them, good food was good food at the end of the day and all my mates were in the same boat, as a kid it wasn't my fault my parents were f***ing idiots ??

• Like 8

Personally, I  think you should never condemn anybody until  you've  walked  in their shoes. What happens to you in life is a mixture of choices and luck...good or bad. Some people make poor choices or have no luck at all. 

"Judge not so that ye be not judged" or summat similar.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Schools no longer provide cooking lessons for dare I say it girls .Boys no longer learn woodwork I’m told .Society has f****d up tradition and our kids ,kids will pay the price .My wife can rustle up a meal from whatever basics there are in the cupboard ,not often but she knows what to do ,same as my daughter who is now at home with a young child .Teaching people we are all the same ,doing away with the sexes and both parents working is the root to this take away family time watching tele instead of sat round the table talking about the day they’ve all had .

It weeds out the people who know no better ,that’s what nature does .We have moved away from nature in the main and society will pay dearly in years to come .

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Personally, I  think you should never condemn anybody until  you've  walked  in their shoes. What happens to you in life is a mixture of choices and luck...good or bad. Some people make poor choices or have no luck at all. In my view you should never judge anybody.

"Judge not so that ye be not judged" or summat similar.

Tbh mate that’s shite .Bad choices are bad choices no matter the circumstance .Putting people on an even keel across the board is where things have gone wrong .There are winners and losers Im afraid .Starts at school with sport and weeds out the losers .

Sad maybe but that’s life for some .

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, mackem said:

Glad I got free school meals, I never thought of the stigma attached to them, good food was good food at the end of the day and all my mates were in the same boat, as a kid it wasn't my fault my parents were f***ing idiots ??

i liked school meals descent grub ? no one thought digmfferent whether it was free or not didn’t enter our heads it’s only the last decade we’re people from the same area think there above the ones get it free 

me old lady worked give me loads a time to do things i shouldn’t a been doing ? was always a descent cooked meal on the table for tea with5 kids 

Edited by mC HULL
  • Like 4
37 minutes ago, mackem said:

Snap ?

It's what always pushed me to graft , so that my kids never went without anything. 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Tbh mate that’s shite .Bad choices are bad choices no matter the circumstance .Putting people on an even keel across the board is where things have gone wrong .There are winners and losers Im afraid .Starts at school with sport and weeds out the losers .

Sad maybe but that’s life for some .

No point in me firing back with a counter argument. So best to agree to differ.

However, I know dozens of guys who' ve been dealt crap hands right from the get go, and others who've just been dead lucky. As far as the unfortunate go I always think that could have been me had I been dealt a shit hand of cards. I'll give you an example, a friend of mine served his time as a spark,married and started his own business. His two kids both had the same genetic disease and died in their teens. Then his wife, his sister and his mother died within 3 years. He ended up a chain smoker and alcoholic and died of alcohol poisoning. Most down and outs have a story behind them.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 5
  • Sad 3