Rabbit numbers

On 13/06/2022 at 21:33, OldPhil said:

? I can't ever see the rabbits coming back in numbers, in my area...

They have taken too much stick over the last few decades, and apart from the usual Summer crop , where you seem to see conies everywhere,...I think its all over, done and dusted....

Its a shame, but its a fact..

As for deer,.. well they have all been very successful and we have most of the species in abundance...

My last remaining lurcher is now fast approaching, ten years of age..

Should I give it one more throw of the dice,....I really cannot decide....?

No complaints though,...I've had one hell of a ride,. .not always comfortable admittedly, but exciting nevertheless.

Lovely day here today,...I reckon a nice long walk on the Downs is on the cards....

All the best, OldPhil.?

Having reached the golden years, where I am now receiving some of my tax money back, I too have given thought to my retirement & what that might look like for me. My plan was letting my lot (dogs)age and fall off the perch one by one. However, of late  I noticed an add-on the net about some hound puppies. I kept a keen eye on the add, noting the price dropping in stages over a couple of weeks. I looked and ponded, & decided since there is only the one breeder of that breed here in New Zealand, it was now or never. This was a twofold decision, one  deciding if I wanted to pass over some of my hard-earned money  & secondly & more importantly, if I was going to carry on working. The two decisions were strongly linked, as I would need to show the new pup plenty of game if I wanted her to have the required skills that made her useful as a working dog. On one hand, I would be paid while showing her those animals & on the other, I would have to pick up all the costs myself, if I was no longer working. I smiled to my self, who was I kidding, my work defines who I am, so I talked myself into.... throwing the dice just one more time ......come on old Phil you've got one more in you mate.... Surely ...  

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 3

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

numbers have been poor for years here. I mainly mooch, foraging I call it. always have a catty in my pocket, sometimes take a ferret and half a dozen nets. sometimes gat a rabbit and a pheasant, other

Well said ? I had my last two lurchers put down due to illness and at 70 I had thoughts about giving up the game, but that didn't last long and I got myself a deer/grey pup. The pup, the pou

? I can't ever see the rabbits coming back in numbers, in my area... They have taken too much stick over the last few decades, and apart from the usual Summer crop , where you seem to see conies

Posted Images

Sure makes me realize how many rabbits were about 30-40  years ago. Could pretty much walk in any direction and find rabbits. Never appreciated it back then. Would be paradise having the same again but not likely 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, TOMO said:

don't ever retire fellas ...I've seen first hand what happens to chaps that don't work or have any physical activity...brown bread in no time...just keep going fellas

when the 1st wave of redundancy started in the pits, mid 80s after the strike. men in there 50s were finishing. my father was one he was 54.the amount that died within a couple of years was frightening. Father was convinced if they had stayed at work they would still be alive. these were men who never missed a shift and regular overtime men....... so we will never know. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, fred90 said:

when the 1st wave of redundancy started in the pits, mid 80s after the strike. men in there 50s were finishing. my father was one he was 54.the amount that died within a couple of years was frightening. Father was convinced if they had stayed at work they would still be alive. these were men who never missed a shift and regular overtime men....... so we will never know. 

Tbf they mainly went on the piss everyday ,couldn't of helped matters 

Perhaps retire from work but not from life, have lots of interest and keep active. Bodies and brains are a bit like hinges,  they soon rust over if not used regularly. In the end we don't always know what's around the corner so remember to live every day as u only die once and look for healthy years rather than numbers on the clock. 

• Like 5
38 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Perhaps retire from work but not from life, have lots of interest and keep active. Bodies and brains are a bit like hinges,  they soon rust over if not used regularly. In the end we don't always know what's around the corner so remember to live every day as u only die once and look for healthy years rather than numbers on the clock. 

You retiring from health care and following your dream 

So I retired a few years ago, but I am now busier than ever in other ways.                                                                                                             I will never stop till they nail the lid down over my dead carcase.                    I have hunted my entire life and practiced most forms of the sport and although I see good reason to change what I hunt etc and the methods used, I dont see a valid reason to stop.

I honestly believe that hunters are born and not made and if your a born hunter it stays with you no matter what, it just changes with circumstances, eg, four of us were in Spain cat fishing a few years ago and the sport was slow to say the least! It was hot and there were millions of blue bottle fly's, so nothing for it but to target the flys, Yes three of us were decoying flys on our thighs as we sat and swatting each new comer, the fourth never othered, I wonder why?

• Like 3

I retired aged 51, I'm 70 now, and I've never regretted a moment.

Im busy all the time and consider myself reasonably fit for my age.

Isnt there a saying about work expanding to fit the time available ?

Some days I just don't have the time to accomplish everything I have planned.

Retirement is what you make of it ?

Cheers.

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I retired aged 51, I'm 70 now, and I've never regretted a moment.

Im busy all the time and consider myself reasonably fit for my age.

Isnt there a saying about work expanding to fit the time available ?

Some days I just don't have the time to accomplish everything I have planned.

Retirement is what you make of it ?

Cheers.

Completely agree. 

I left teaching two years ago in order to try my hand at writing (my book what I wrote as Ernie used to say). Unfortunately, covid hit two months later and every time we had a lockdown my kids were doing all their home schooling on the new chromebook I'd treated myself to.

But, as you intimated, looking back I can't believe I ever managed to fit a full time job into my schedule. There just aren't enough hours in the day for doing all the bits and bobs I plan to do each morning.

• Like 1