Rabbit numbers

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

numbers have been poor for years here. I mainly mooch, foraging I call it. always have a catty in my pocket, sometimes take a ferret and half a dozen nets. sometimes gat a rabbit and a pheasant, other

Well said ? I had my last two lurchers put down due to illness and at 70 I had thoughts about giving up the game, but that didn't last long and I got myself a deer/grey pup. The pup, the pou

? I can't ever see the rabbits coming back in numbers, in my area... They have taken too much stick over the last few decades, and apart from the usual Summer crop , where you seem to see conies

Posted Images

The problem locally is Myxy....always has been...

We are on the South Coast and there are numerous Salt Marshes...

These places are phenomenal breeding grounds for blood sucking Mosquitos,...and I do believe they, (alongside the rabbit flea) are prime vectors for spreading the noxious disease.. Every year it is the same....hot Summers followed by damp Autumn weather,...perfect conditions for the Myxoma Virus to flourish, and do its work?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

I think there's been 3 cases of RHD here, two in BC one in Alberta? Myxie is the same, rare. Biggest threats to rabbits are hawks and coyotes, quite a few rabbits running around the neighbourhood. 

IMG_20220609_100324.jpg

• Like 1
1 minute ago, FOXHUNTER said:

No my mate has a few small permissions around Throckley ?

I had ferreting permission on Dewley farm, Throckley, but the area is barren of rabbits. It was good to have if you got the pull coming back along the 69 from more productive areas ?

I get my hen feed from East Heddon farm, another area barren of rabbits.

Cheers.

Just now, chartpolski said:

I had ferreting permission on Dewley farm, Throckley, but the area is barren of rabbits. It was good to have if you got the pull coming back along the 69 from more productive areas ?

I get my hen feed from East Heddon farm, another area barren of rabbits.

Cheers.

You don't see rabbits sitting  along the 69 now like you used to.  Used to be heaving all the way from Hexham through Melkridge to Haltwhistle , dont see anything now.

Just now, FOXHUNTER said:

You don't see rabbits sitting  along the 69 now like you used to.  Used to be heaving all the way from Hexham through Melkridge to Haltwhistle , dont see anything now.

When you used to come off at the Hexham roundabout, before they made the bypass, the verge would be thick with rabbits.

Honestly, i lamp from Blucher, through Wallbottle, Newburn, Throckley, Heddon and all the way to Fourstones, both sides of the 69 and hardly see a rabbit. Plenty of hares and roe, though !?

Cheers.

1 hour ago, OldPhil said:

The problem locally is Myxy....always has been...

We are on the South Coast and there are numerous Salt Marshes...

These places are phenomenal breeding grounds for blood sucking Mosquitos,...and I do believe they, (alongside the rabbit flea) are prime vectors for spreading the noxious disease.. Every year it is the same....hot Summers followed by damp Autumn weather,...perfect conditions for the Myxoma Virus to flourish, and do its work?

PICT0063.JPG

One of the best populations I know of local to me is on a friends farm bordering the estuary and marshes. Strange how myci doesn’t seem to effect them to bad. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, chartpolski said:

When you used to come off at the Hexham roundabout, before they made the bypass, the verge would be thick with rabbits.

Honestly, i lamp from Blucher, through Wallbottle, Newburn, Throckley, Heddon and all the way to Fourstones, both sides of the 69 and hardly see a rabbit. Plenty of hares and roe, though !?

Cheers.

Plenty roe and hares I know ....we shoot a few foxes. Do you see many foxes?

You obviously havent come across the couple of pockets of rabbits I know of?

18 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Plenty roe and hares I know ....we shoot a few foxes. Do you see many foxes?

You obviously havent come across the couple of pockets of rabbits I know of?

Any amount of foxes, mate. Especially in the fields near houses.

I see them almost everyday hanging around my Allotments and the b*****ds cleared out my Cayuga ducks, killed six but only carried off two.

To be honest, rabbits aren't my first or second choice of quarry with the type of dogs I keep, I like to run the hares and roe, day or night, but we cover a lot of ground along the Tyne valley and there are certainly nowhere near the rabbit numbers there were, say, back when we were doing the lamping competitions 10-12 years ago.

Cheers.