Learning a second language

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I spent 26 years learning Arabic, but still speak it like Borat speaks English ! ? ! Cheers.

Dos cervezas por favor ?

A few lads have mate  , I haven’t got the grasp of basic language rhythm to be if any use bar “ Akuna mattata “  i know an black African lad who spoke 6 or 7 languages fluent and was working for

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Stupid language! ??✊

Wait until you get to the everything is masculine if there is one man there ?

A room full of women would be buenas Dias señoras. One bloke in the room and it’s buenos dias señors ?‍♂️?‍♂️

1 minute ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

bit gutted reading that pal , can’t Beat a dolled up tidy British sort , full of fun , blue wicked and boo hoo next day delivery on demand imho 

I mean I’m not likely to turn down anyone on nationality tbh :laugh:

But yeah, the whole Mediterranean vibe or just the immaculately presented metropolitan Italian sorts do it for me. Dark hair tan skin immaculately turned out. To be fair there’s a lot of that in London too.

Just now, Born Hunter said:

4 minutes ago, mushroom said:

Some words will be by nature masculine or feminine and some words can be changed to apply the correct gender. 

In Spanish a beer is UNA cerveza because cerveza ends in a (feminine) but a San Miguel is a bloody blokes name… I spent 8 years asking for UN San Miguel ?

These cnuts are tricky buggers ?

Was ordering in spanish outdoor cafe and I happened to break off my order to point out some monks parakeets. I was showing off and referring to them as marakitas. A spanish mate choked on his drink. Marakita is also slang for a player on the pink oboe.

• Haha 1
Just now, mushroom said:

Wait until you get to the everything is masculine if there is one man there ?

A room full of women would be buenas Dias señoras. One bloke in the room and it’s buenos dias señors ?‍♂️?‍♂️

Ah the good old days.

Just now, jukel123 said:

Was ordering in spanish outdoor cafe and I happened to break off my order to point out some monks parakeets. I was showing off and referring to them as marakitas. A spanish mate choked on his drink. Marakita is also slang for a player on the pink oboe.

It means little gay ?‍♂️?

1 hour ago, jukel123 said:

I spoke to a waiter in Italy once. He could communicate in well over a dozen languages. I asked him how he acquired all these languages. He just shrugged and said" if I cant communicate, I can't earn". 

He reckoned Youtube was the best place to learn.

Spoke to a girl in opticians last week. Asked her where she was from. She was from Poland. Spoke English in a perfect Scottish accent. Her English was better than mine. Think if you need to learn a language, you will learn sharpish if you really need to.

Course you will

2 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Just watching that show about the bloke from Hartlepool who faked his own death in a canoe.He divorced his missus and now lives in the Phillipines and she works for the RSPCA.

They were interviewed about the show, and the only complaint they both had was that the actors used Geordie accents rather than Hartlepool accents !

Cheers.

He should have actually faked his death in the Philippines, easiest place in the world to do it, from a genuine doctor to sign your death off, to a genuine unrecognisable corpse due to your RTA for your cremation, down to the mourners for your funeral, I still wonder if an old acquaintance of mine did it, his widow came back to the UK with his ashes, hung around to collect the insurance, then went straight back to Manila. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, fireman said:

When i lived in Pembrokeshire it was the welsh festival of which i ain't going to try to spell but it was when all the Taffs who spoke English every day spoke Taff for the weekend to make themselves feel more Welsh or something as daft.Anyway i was in a shop with some pals who have lived there for years,the mum is Scottish and from Glasgow so broad in accent and her fella and myself both English and the mum's 10 year old daughter.These old bags were stood all talking and sniding in Welsh at us when my pals daughter turned round and got right into them about what they were saying about us.She spoke fluent welsh seeing as she had always gone to welsh schools and she made the old bags say sorry to us in English..:laugh:..

I can sign a bit as in sigh language as a old friend has a deaf child who i have known 30 odd years now and the only way i can speak to him is by sign so i learnt a bit so i could...

Probably the Eisteddfod - that sounds about right!

• Like 2

Funny story about multilingual people.We where over on our way to Kuwait and stopped at a airport in Germany. Got off the plane for a bit of a lay over. I was walking around the little visitor area they had for troops and this German lady in the airport's uniform walkes up and starts talking to me, like she was smiling but I didn't know anything in German past hello and the way she was talking and moving her hands and pointing at me I was super confused and though I'd did something wrong. Didn't help she was petty cute on the hotness scale ( not into blonde but somone of all would have been fighting over this chick) . Finally I feel someone behind me and it was a older sergeant with a Special forces tab , starts talking to her in German and she start giggling and pointing at me again. He starts laughing looks at me and says in this deep southern drawl " Relax son she was trying to tell you she liked you hair cut and she thinks the fact your black and so short is really cute " she starts giggling more tells him something else and he look back at me and says " she didn't know black guys could blush like your doing and she wants to know if you have a girlfriend" .

Yeah that was......an experience my gf didn't like the retelling if it either ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Remember French lesson's at school and all we used to do is feck about it's something you have got to knuckle down to. The brother in law speaks good French due to spending a lot of time in France with his mate who's mother was French it came in handy when we had a French kid come and stop with us with one of them school exchange who after a day seemed upset about something and we could not understand why it turned out after he spoke to her she had spent all her money at meadow hall.lol

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Think he famous for rocky mate, but I could be wrong ?

I remember the first time I saw rocky, I thought, that's the fella who taught his kids Spanish by getting them to watch Mexican cartoons!...

Yokel

Edited by YOKEL
  • Haha 1