Micro ferrets

Thinking next season am going to get back into ferreting.Its been years since ive been and had some cracking sport if the memory serves me right!!...I always kept the traditional size ferrets,hobs and jills.Keep hearing bout micro ferrets???...anybody work them and id be interested to hear their strong points and bad...any picks would be good as ive never clapped eyes on them...

14 hours ago, C.green said:

Im after a couple myself 

My mate has this little thing just never grew. Does work but struggles on stubborn ones and she is shy coming out. She is lovely to handle could give to a toddler to play with, tip of its tail nose to tip of its tail 15" body about 11". Would let it go on the promise of a good home would make a lovely pet.

PM me if interested.

IMG_5159.JPG.2c781904cdf772feccb3ad4f43333785.JPG

Cheers Arry

• Like 4
10 hours ago, ferret333 said:

Like I said in a topic the other week.

I got given a pair of micro albino, hob and jill.

Cracking little things, but I wont bother trying to work them. They are tiny and the kicking that rabbits give out , theyd get sick very very easily I think.

IMG-20220115-WA0007.jpg

They don't look very small to me ?

• Like 1

all depends what type of ferreting you are doing. when you have no permission and can't be hanging about they have there uses. just mooching doing little 4 and 5 holers where dog marks, you want quick bolts, if not then you want it to come off after a few minutes. now proper days ferreting were you can take all tackle and dig to backed up rabbits then they wouldn't suit. 

• Like 1

Every one has their own opinion when it comes to what ferrets to use for hunting, l myself like and use cut bucks ( hobs ) as I can work them all year round and they don’t fight when mating season comes around. They are bigger and can generally Handel them self with a large rabbit. With the Jill’s they are smaller and when in season and have kits I am unable to work them and they can struggle with the larger rabbits. I also like the ferrets with black eyes but not fused on colour. Each to their own. 

• Like 3

I have a couple of micro ferrets and have worked them. In this area we have a lot of deep chalk rabbit earth's and I've found the micro's don't go deep enough.  Cracking little ferrets for pets or shallow eaths in my personal opinion.  Never had one hole up so I belive they don't stay with a rabbit. (maybe they don't like the stick from a holed up rabbit ?). My proper workers are a very inbred old strain, small slim and will go all day, even shifting a stubborn old chalk buck ! 

Just my opinion but the micro ferret is a show/ pet animal and not a serious working partner. 

• Like 1
On 25/02/2022 at 21:27, Guss33 said:

Every one has their own opinion when it comes to what ferrets to use for hunting, l myself like and use cut bucks ( hobs ) as I can work them all year round and they don’t fight when mating season comes around. They are bigger and can generally Handel them self with a large rabbit. With the Jill’s they are smaller and when in season and have kits I am unable to work them and they can struggle with the larger rabbits. I also like the ferrets with black eyes but not fused on colour. Each to their own. 

That's true, everyone has their own opinion and uses ferrets differently. Because I only hunt in the cooler months due to the snakes about with the dogs, the jills breeding in Summer doesn't bother me as I'm not ferreting then. Also the two BEWS I've had were nasty with the dogs (probably just unlucky with them) so I prefer albinos and polecats. I prefer to work the fast jills and enter a big hob if there's stubborn rabbits after the jills have come out. I like your idea of getting the hobs cut, apart from the fighting they don't seem to be focused when in season.

• Like 1