Running pups

Daytime mooching ferreting out with terriers from 12 weeks aslong as not trekking miles and miles and on lead to start then build up and on lamp I've taken out for a look with another dog around 6/7 month but start when feel ready my last 3/4 grey collie started 6 month my grey/deerhound started about 16/18 months all depends on the dog used to get told best way to ruin a dog is start them 2 young but personally don't think starting 2 young ruins them its pushing them 2 hard giving a young dog 20 runs a night etc known some excellent dogs started young but started right is the difference 

• Like 2

I always let pups follow older ones on walks but I wouldn't dream of trying a small lurcher type on lamp unto around 12 Mt's and bigger type bit later ,and before folk say they had juks out catching at 6/9 Mt's then good for you but we all have different ways and it all depends how experienced a dog man you are ,experienced man will pick the easy run for his sapling and once a catch made its off home on a high ,the other type will run a dog on anything and he's the one who going to ruin a sapling and you find it's this kind that move runners on at young age to get another pup to ruin all over again . A lurcher shouldn't be finished in couple of seasons unless injuries retire it but many seasons.so my advise is take your time ,keep things simple and enjoy .

My old dog was catching rabbits at 6 months so started running him from then but easy going, caught his first hare at 10 months and honestly from that day i piled the graft into him. Was a young lad at the time and didn't know any different but the dog ran for 8 or 9 seasons 

• Like 2

? Yeah, this must always be, a personal thing,...and all dogs are different, in different ways, so you have to take this fact into account..?

Was looking through some old diaries recently,.. (I've kept a diary since the early 1970's)..sad , but true?

One page mentioned Bonnie, a home-bred Deerhound/Whippet based lurcher..

"Ran Bonnie last night on Graham's place,..  she only managed 16 rabbits,.. I am not sure she is going the make it"..

Checked a few pages back, and the bitch was just 8 months of age,... 

In the 70's and 80'swe had no manuals to follow and scant data to assimilate, especially with regards to the correct entering of running dogs, to quarry.

Correspondingly,. we knew no better, and simply ran our jukels, at every given opportunity.

I often wonder if the early entering, and allowing the dogs to learn their trade, was a good thing, or a bad thing?

What I do know,.. and my jottings reassure me,..is that back in the day,.. we must all of had, some pretty useful dogs....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 10