Patterdale x whippet

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I reckon he could teach most pure whippets a thing or two. First x whippet Russell. Probably not as fast as a straight whippet but hardy, clever and brave. I wish I could have him back at that age aga

Russell X 3/4 grey 1/4 collie. This lad done way, way more than I ever expected. 22" ? Cheers, D.    

its a funny subject isn't it ....this hole thing of a dog opening up....yapping... as lurcher lads we are so programed to hate and detest opening up....its to point where most lads would never ad

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Bedington terriers were originally bred as earth dogs unless I’m very much mistaken ........

I think they did the lot otters badger used for rabbiting etc mate there more like a small running dog dont you think 

2 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Again, what do they offer that a good bedlington cross can offer as a runner?

Acceleration and speed matter mate at the end of the day even though other traits are beneficial.

Let’s be honest most folk keeping these small types are running rabbits in small fields, rough ground and around cover. They are not coursing hares on the fens. If speed abs acceleration was the number one thing - they would just keep a pure whippet. However if they want a terrier x then they are losing a chunk of that speed and acceleration whatever they choose and I’d say between any of the terrier xs it’s probably a marginal difference. 

Most folk go for a Beddy x whippet as they are available, popular, “look like old school green grass Lurchers”, etc. I see more Beddy whips with rich woman at country shows than with lads flat out into lamping. 

I would imagine that most half x terrier whippets are probably very samey and there would be more variation within the different xs than between. Lots of good, average abs bad in all. You just see a lot more Beddy x as that’s what’s out there.

Im sure a good one of whatever x would be a bunch of fun to have out on a days bushing and mooching.

6 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Again, what do they offer that a good bedlington cross can offer as a runner?

Acceleration and speed matter mate at the end of the day even though other traits are beneficial.

Thats the whole point."a good bedlington"Do they even exist anymore?You hear about them but never spoken to a proper digging man who's ever seen one.

• Like 5
Just now, downsouth said:

Thats the whole point."a good bedlington"Do they even exist anymore?You hear about them but never spoken to a proper digging man who's ever seen one.

I dont think there was ever out and out earth dogs mate ?

3 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

I think they did the lot otters badger used for rabbiting etc mate there more like a small running dog dont you think 

So the modern ones not have a bunch of whippet blood in them to give the daft roach back for the show ring. I’m sure that’s what I read. The little light ones you see with the fluffy heads abs roach back are nowt like the old photos of beddys you see which were earth dogs 

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, downsouth said:

I'm talking about crosses already doing the business.

Fair enough if you're trying to start from scratch and you have nothing to source but that's another story.

Like I said, have a gander at Trev's videos, he has some cracking little un's that are great rabbiting dogs in and around cover.

14 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

I thought  whippets had Bedlington in there at there start mate 

There's two schools of thought;

1; The modern whippet had infusions of Bedlington blood.

2; The modern Bedlington had infusions of Whippet blood.

Neither theory has been proven conclusively, but it seems obvious that looking at the difference between Bedlingtons  from the past and modern Bedlingtons, that theory 2 seems the most likely.

If Bedlingtons Terrier had been instrumental in forming the Whippet, you can be sure they looked nothing like the modern Bedlingtons, and were more probably like the extinct White Terrier.

Once again, only MY opinion on the subject ?

Cheers.

its a funny subject isn't it ....this hole thing of a dog opening up....yapping...

as lurcher lads we are so programed to hate and detest opening up....its to point where most lads would never admit to having a dog that did for fear of being almost labelled as a lepper...."unclean unclean"...

but lets put it in to perspective.....anybody that takes on a pat x whippet aint expecting a lurcher....there expecting a fast bushing dog....now i own a border terrier ...a good little busher she is......and honestly when right behind a rabbit in cover she yapps like mad.....and personally i think its great...any runners that are on the outside hone in to her yapping....in other words it can for the most part help in making a catch...

as for proper lurchers opening up....im not keen same as the rest of you i have been programed to hate it.....but let me just say this......I've had a dog that opened up a little....not like my terrier....she never opened up lamping rabbits.....but bushing in the day she would often let out a few yips and yaps....again not like my terrier....but yips none the less....and whilst out on the seed after hare she would sometimes do same just an odd yip and yap on turn....ive also witnessed a few well bred coursing dogs do the same and it never stopped them being very good at what they did...

some of you chaps that have been here a long time will remember my little 1/4 kelpie cross grew Tara  ....i caught a shit ton of rabbits with that dog ....as well as a good few hares...small deer ....and retrieved shot pheasants ...and yet she did open up a little but it never stopped her being a very very handy dog

• Like 9
28 minutes ago, downsouth said:

It seems that way only one i recall is one a lad had up here some year's ago and ended up in Essex after a marriage break up i know the bitch called Pagan was dug to a few times when it was up here and was a good bushing dog by all accounts.

14 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

There's two schools of thought;

1; The modern whippet had infusions of Bedlington blood.

2; The modern Bedlington had infusions of Whippet blood.

Neither theory has been proven conclusively, but it seems obvious that looking at the difference between Bedlingtons  from the past and modern Bedlingtons, that theory 2 seems the most likely.

If Bedlingtons Terrier had been instrumental in forming the Whippet, you can be sure they looked nothing like the modern Bedlingtons, and were more probably like the extinct White Terrier.

Once again, only MY opinion on the subject ?

Cheers.

?