purebred whippets on the cotswolds

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Poodle on a sofa. The first poodle laid on a sofa in 1724 if you look at the length of leg and deepness of chest it made the poodle the ideal dog for this job. The non shedding coat of the poodle also

My old bitch in with a full Laguna owned and bred.  both under 18 in  many yrs ago and me little bitch in with the grim reaper you would have liked them two mc 

Posted Images

I used to love watching the whippet derby every year at Newton Aycliffe they used to come from all over the country.I’m sure it was a 2 day stake and better than any greyhound racing,I think that’s what made me like the whippets a lot as for a little dog they have some fire in them and think a lot of people under estimate them.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, lurchers said:

I used to love watching the whippet derby every year at Newton Aycliffe they used to come from all over the country.I’m sure it was a 2 day stake and better than any greyhound racing,I think that’s what made me like the whippets a lot as for a little dog they have some fire in them and think a lot of people under estimate them.

Almost everybody underestimates them, until they've seen a couple of good ones in action.

Alluding to what you say, being comparativlely smaller, lighter and less 'macho' for want of a better a better word, makes a lot of people think they aren't capable of doing much in the field.  Me, I've seen what they can do time and time again.  I love the little beggars!  ?

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Almost everybody underestimates them, until they've seen a couple of good ones in action.

Alluding to what you say, being comparativlely smaller, lighter and less 'macho' for want of a better a better word, makes a lot of people think they aren't capable of doing much in the field.  Me, I've seen what they can do time and time again.  I love the little beggars!  ?

I’m with you on that 1 mate ?

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Bet they've got you wearing flat caps and saying "Heyup."

On 18/06/2021 at 21:13, W. Katchum said:

Give my youngest another couple years an I reckon he will have a wee whippet to learn his trade with, my eldest was nearly a whippet owner but a chance encounter with the Plummer terriers out ratting one night an he changed his mind, but I’m sure me youngest will want a runner, he ferreting mad

For a beginner you can’t fault a whippet for a first type mad keen but easy to handle and no bother, I think same thing with them pups that Ken bred, they’d be an excellent type for a young keen hunter 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Does anyone on here have a whippet that’s well built, well mannered but thinks it’s a 28” bull x / Bengal tiger ? Preferably Laguna type breeding. Little bit bully not an issue. 

Not looking for an argument here mate, but I really don't think your old dog was a one off.

Seen plenty of whippets do what you described your dog doing.

Like I said, not looking for an argument.

• Like 1
Just now, shaaark said:

Not looking for an argument here mate, but I really don't think your old dog was a one off.

Seen plenty of whippets do what you described your dog doing.

Like I said, not looking for an argument.

Ummm where in that did I say he was a one off ? Or anything about my old dog ? I’m just asking if anyone has a dog that fits the above description I can use to line a bitch in the future ?

I don’t move in whippet circles and so I don’t see many working whippets and certainly don’t see any working regular (not that they don’t I just don’t know anyone with one). 

I am just saying I’m after a well put together whippet, height isn’t over important but I want it relatively thick set and the type who will pile straight into a fox without a second thought and which you’d happily slip on deer, regardless of whether he would catch it or just get dragged across a field, as long as it will run straight in and grab hold at the first opportunity. 

Im after one which is well mannered abs soft with people but a bit of a liability to themselves.

Which, given how you suggest that this is a very common trait, someone should be right along saying they have such a beast very soon?

Ps not being a dick 

1 hour ago, SheepChaser said:

Does anyone on here have a whippet that’s well built, well mannered but thinks it’s a 28” bull x / Bengal tiger ? Preferably Laguna type breeding. Little bit bully not an issue. 

I know of one pm if you like

• Like 1