Trainability

Most trainable lurcher/cross  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most trainable/biddable lurcher cross out of the options below

• lurcher to lurcher
    • whippet x greyhound
    • (collie, kelpie, cattle dog) x greyhound
    • bull x greyhound
    • saluki x greyhound
    • purebreeds

1 hour ago, fred90 said:

some can call a dog off when it's on its quarry. I can't and I would be disappointed if I could. there are far better people than me with mutts but it would always be in my mind if it was fully committed? 

im of exactly the same opinion, if i could stop a dog mid run imo its probably not bothered about the run

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same as most veteran lurcher enthusiasts,..I've enjoyed walking out with many different running dog hybrids? Loved them all and had success,.. and of course,..failures with them all..? AS fo

Some time back I watched a lads lurcher bitch jump over a sheep fence chasing a rabbit, the rabbit came back through and the bitch jumped back over this went on over a distance up the fence she did na

Tried calling my whippet of one or two risky chases, heart in my mouth sometimes, and eyes closed but she survived , only to succumb to cushings , cracking worker lived for work and so i put work in f

Posted Images

5 hours ago, MH1 said:

Yeah, that's my excuse too ?

I don't expect my dogs to do party tricks and don't tell them how to hunt or sool them on. I do pull them up if they fck up so I suppose that's training. I've learnt more off working bred dogs than I could teach them.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, fred90 said:

some can call a dog off when it's on its quarry. I can't and I would be disappointed if I could. there are far better people than me with mutts but it would always be in my mind if it was fully committed? 

A malinois police or army dog can be called off quarry. Might not leave go that very second but will come off, no break sticks or a bit. If it's hanging off of you you ouldn't doubt it's commitment LOL.

If it mistakenly starts to chase an innocent civilian, maybe even a child, it MUST be able to be called off. Most people don't bother or aren't able to train a dog to that level but that doesn't mean it can't be done. Just saying like.

Only thing I call a dog off is cats?if you do too much of certain things with a runner then I find you have to keep on top of their stock breaking...some get it...others can be quite stubborn at times...don't hurt to walk and sit down this time of yr with stock,let them come to you and reaffirm they not too touch em?

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Only thing I call a dog off is cats?if you do too much of certain things with a runner then I find you have to keep on top of their stock breaking...some get it...others can be quite stubborn at times...don't hurt to walk and sit down this time of yr with stock,let them come to you and reaffirm they not too touch em?

Found certain crosses worse than others for that and bullxs especially. Known a few start grabbing sheep after stuff and never been able to be stopped after

In this game something I’ve found with hunting dogs/Lurchers you always get the people saying a Lurcher needs this training that training the other to be a good hunting catch dog I was blasted once for saying I didn’t stock break or teach my dog to jump 5 bar gates I don’t train stuff I don’t need it’s a waist of my time I train recall then retrieve after once recall is mastered I don’t go out my way purposely training much else. Training a dog skills for ferreting like Purdys progress got a man no were further than a dog that’s learned it’s skills on the job for the job it’s the same with lamping you can teach all these commands that mean nothing when working in silence an darkness a clever steady dog soon learns the lamp crack lamp off back to owner tbh I don’t think it takes a skill full dog owner to train a ferret dog or a lamp dog to work same with a mooching dog there’s not a lot of skill of training from the owner that can make a dog that’s naturally skilled as a hunting catch dog any better. If there was any training it don’t involve the dog it’s training your self to get a dog in position that it stands a chance of a catch. 

• Like 1

Don’t think it’s so much training that I do your just trying to bring out what the dogs capable of and get it comfortable I get out when young first horses till the dog gets a hoofed off not so quick go bk then round sheep lead on any signs I’ll scruff the dog soon get it out a that by time get to cows should be ok your out about all it dog got to know it’s not quarry a mature strong dog will think nothing of trying with say a horse young lass on back no good 

then jumping really dogs should all jump they are capable just got to bring it out 

I hunt a lot of open land but still need it to be able to clear 7 bar gate but a retrieving off running allover dykes woods even get it threw in water swimming about ?? 
dogs will stay on command but not if something as caught the eye 

8 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

Don’t think it’s so much training that I do your just trying to bring out what the dogs capable of and get it comfortable I get out when young first horses till the dog gets a hoofed off not so quick go bk then round sheep lead on any signs I’ll scruff the dog soon get it out a that by time get to cows should be ok your out about all it dog got to know it’s not quarry a mature strong dog will think nothing of trying with say a horse young lass on back no good 

then jumping really dogs should all jump they are capable just got to bring it out 

I hunt a lot of open land but still need it to be able to clear 7 bar gate but a retrieving off running allover dykes woods even get it threw in water swimming about ?? 
dogs will stay on command but not if something as caught the eye 

I don't think jumping is necessary, extra pressure on joints and increases chances of injury. It's a nice to have but doesn't really matter imo

48 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Found certain crosses worse than others for that and bullxs especially. Known a few start grabbing sheep after stuff and never been able to be stopped after

One behind the ears sorts that?

• Like 1