Trainability

Most trainable lurcher/cross  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most trainable/biddable lurcher cross out of the options below

• lurcher to lurcher
    • whippet x greyhound
    • (collie, kelpie, cattle dog) x greyhound
    • bull x greyhound
    • saluki x greyhound
    • purebreeds

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same as most veteran lurcher enthusiasts,..I've enjoyed walking out with many different running dog hybrids? Loved them all and had success,.. and of course,..failures with them all..? AS fo

Some time back I watched a lads lurcher bitch jump over a sheep fence chasing a rabbit, the rabbit came back through and the bitch jumped back over this went on over a distance up the fence she did na

Tried calling my whippet of one or two risky chases, heart in my mouth sometimes, and eyes closed but she survived , only to succumb to cushings , cracking worker lived for work and so i put work in f

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

I have them walking to heel never had one will watch another dog chase and stay to heel ?? 

i have...but only whilst lamping rabbits....and when she had got to about 4 year old...took a bit of work to get to that standard though....

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, TOMO said:

i have...but only whilst lamping rabbits....and when she had got to about 4 year old...took a bit of work to get to that standard though....

My old dog Trevor instinctively knew which were his runs and weren't. Never pulled, whined or shook. Politest dog I ever had, aside the staffy. He never took his eyes off the beam though, so I never bothered with having him loose when other dogs were running. Better not to put them in a situation where they can fail due to their drive ?

• Like 3
7 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

Thank you. What I’ve found works for me, is to find a dog bred to be hard and gritty which is fast enough and well enough out together to do what I want. Mostly I’ve been shoe horning fox dogs into other rolls, this pup I’ve got is first one that’s been bred with something else in mind originally. I always start at a fox and work backwards. 

Its what I've always done for the simple fact is if it couldn't handle the fox job it wouldn't matter how good it was at anything else it simply wouldn't be staying with me. 

8 hours ago, mC HULL said:

How lads go about entering dog to fox ?? 

Plenty of rabbits and stuff that aint gunna bite them back as a youngster to teach them the lamp and how to use their legs.Let them mature then slip em on a fox

• Like 2
14 hours ago, mC HULL said:

How many lads seen lurchers that will stay when games running until told to go ive seen a couple collies x and Mali x ?? 

Seen one collie x do it. Possibly the best trained lurcher iv ever been out with.  Was never on a slip and told when to go 

He told me it did fox all I seen though was it chasing them, then it mopped hares and rabbit up so I don't think it like fox tbh 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, mC HULL said:

How lads go about entering dog to fox ?? 

We used to let young uns watch then have a rag a bit then when ready double up as apprentice for a go then on there own I remember once going to give a up an coming young un a hand with the stabber as I thought it was making hard work of it I got a sharp word in my ear...don’t you fecking dare! it’s gotta do em single handed or it’s not staying in the kennels. 
Now days because of how the laws set out with the ban an not keeping dogs just for that job alone an only keep one dog at a time when i think there mentally ready I get a mate go have a look on the beam  use his rifle shoot one an see if there’s any fire in there belly’s for a retrieve got to fully retrieve on its own with no human assistance 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, poxon said:

We used to let young uns watch then have a rag a bit then when ready double up as apprentice for a go then on there own I remember once going to give a up an coming young un a hand with the stabber as I thought it was making hard work of it I got a sharp word in my ear...don’t you fecking dare! it’s gotta do em single handed or it’s not staying in the kennels. 
Now days because of how the laws set out with the ban an not keeping dogs just for that job alone an only keep one dog at a time when i think there mentally ready I get a mate go have a look on the beam  use his rifle shoot one an see if there’s any fire in there belly’s for a retrieve got to fully retrieve on its own with no human assistance 

That’s how I would do it aswell build confidence dog keen to get involved hold it bk until it’s raring to get off ?? 

3 hours ago, downsouth said:

Plenty of rabbits and stuff that aint gunna bite them back as a youngster to teach them the lamp and how to use their legs.Let them mature then slip em on a fox

So from chasing little rabbits to getting bit off a  fox and been expected to kill it ?? 

can see why you struggle with a fox dog with other breeds  bull terrier easiest to enter that way ??