Fit dogs

29 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Think it’s just called discussion mate ....

It wasn’t a discussion I was after just photos would do ??as that’s what the thread was aimed at with the title an first post not the ins an outs of dog muscle or machanics or physical capabilities I wanted a nice simple post were anyone could come an just pop a pic up 

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my little brindle bitch was pretty fit in this pic....she's also fairly easy to keep reasonably fit..  

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Balaur said:

Topics evolve you don't own it only begin it and it makes for a better forum imho...

Surly it can’t make it for a better forum when people see all the ins an outs of muscle in dogs chit chat when someone who don’t post or hasn’t posted before sees all that it might make them think twice about bothering to post in fear of arm chair experts having a opinion on there dogs fitness wouldn’t do anything to get new people involved with posting it’d put them off wouldn’t it 

2 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Maybe, but if everyone to it to heart nobody would post got to take it all with a pinch of salt and as impersonally as possible, I'm sure plenty get sickened of expert opinions but it's only a chat about dogs end of the day...

This discussion is like covid 19 ,,, its going to end in TIERS .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
9 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Maybe, but if everyone to it to heart nobody would post got to take it all with a pinch of salt and as impersonally as possible, I'm sure plenty get sickened of expert opinions but it's only a chat about dogs end of the day...

I feel that??But that’s probably why it’s the same old people posting on every post just thought I’d try to be clever an get a post going that didn’t really involve discussion just pictures to admire 

2 hours ago, poxon said:

If a dogs doing what someone wants an expects from there dog in the field there fit for the job ain’t it ??If there happy with there dog/s an want to share a picture who are we to comment on there dogs fitness unless trying to undermine them in some way trying to swing judgment on a well muscle to a fine build dog or trying to prove some kind of point on how hard or not hard enough a dogs worked but I can see why you’ve added this comment as you keep a super fine build of dog but my thread wasn’t posted to undermine any dog there is/was no hidden agenda I just wanted to see some pictures of dogs people are working that are fit for function I couldn’t care less if there ripped with muscle of stream line like a Lamborghini  it wasn’t really posted to have schooling on muscle mass or any expert advice it was plainly for pictures of nice fit dogs people are happy with 

The topic is about fit dogs, i'm discussing fit dogs, if you want a pretty picture subject there's a great photography section with some fantastic shots that make me swoon with envy..

As to upsetting people I don't think anyone has commented on any particular dog and my youngster carries plenty of muscle, probably more than i would like. I've trained and raced pure greyhounds, worked  bull crosses, salukis types, beddy crosses etc and in general would say the they all lost muscle bulk when getting properly fit, didn't mean they weren't muscled but ....

i like a picture of a dog stood to show its balance rather than its muscles.

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

I agree that the layman tends to refer to marathon runners as 'fit' and strength athletes as 'strong' but fitness to the purist is defined by capability imo. It covers any relevant aspect of physicality. What is relevant depends on the task.

The likes of Rich Froning and I'd argue Ross Edgley are incredibly fit lads, in an all round sense, and have Olympian-esque physiques.

Yeah, like when those commentators at crufts describe the sealyham terrier, for example  as being 'fit for function'. ?

• Haha 1

I dont think anyone with a modicum of sense equates what a dog looks like to it’s performance at the jobs you want it to do.

I think people know what “type” to look for that would seem sensible for how they like to hunt but that’s as far as it go’s 

Physical appearance and mental ability are two completely different things.

• Like 2

My young dog. We was starting to get out about 4 times a week until he got I’ll and never eat for about a week. Had him up the vets a couple of times. Looks like a skeleton at the minute but back to eating properly now so hoping he back to his old self within a few weeks

E413D2AE-6CCA-403C-A5C4-AB36D76FE8BC.jpeg

5F9F3439-93A4-4FD1-A1E6-F567610CD872.jpeg

ADE4635D-085B-461F-9A31-29D3E08AF0B1.jpeg

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Igz said:

My young dog. We was starting to get out about 4 times a week until he got I’ll and never eat for about a week. Had him up the vets a couple of times. Looks like a skeleton at the minute but back to eating properly now so hoping he back to his old self within a few weeks

E413D2AE-6CCA-403C-A5C4-AB36D76FE8BC.jpeg

5F9F3439-93A4-4FD1-A1E6-F567610CD872.jpeg

ADE4635D-085B-461F-9A31-29D3E08AF0B1.jpeg

What's he picked up? 

13 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

What's he picked up? 

Went out one night, came back never eat his grub but he did get double breakfast as he had my other dogs bowl off the side when my back was turned so I thought nothing of it. Next day came out of kennel all his back legs stiff really struggling to walk. Rubbed him down quite hard everywhere no yelps or sign of pain. Back end shaking when pissing. Took him vets on 3 rd day he said lactic acid build up. Jabbed him and antiinflamatory still no better couple days later and still not eat so had him pumped full of fluids. Few more jabs. Started to move round a lot better back to himself in mobility just still a bit picky with food last 2/3 days. Was eating then getting sick for 3 days. Just keeping him warm under lamp and as much grub as hel eat now and hope he comes good. I’m wandering if he drunk something in a puddle maybe the night we were out and something bad in it.