Veg & Meat Boxes

Just like anything you can buy, if someone is willing to pay what you're asking then, to a certain extent, it's the right price. As several people have said, if you find a particular niche then that can be your unique selling point. E.g. some people would prefer to eat rare breed cattle, sheep etc or even mutton and would be happy to pay for it. As a really crap analogy: some people would pay millions for a Picasso but others would hate to have one in their living room.

• Like 1

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All this talk of food has made me hungry, so the missus has made a game pie; Main ingredients are hare and pigeon, onions, garlic, black pudding and red wine. Dont know if

A pretty nice picture from today 

Thank goodness for that for a minute i thought this was going to be a topic about jockstraps !!

Posted Images

1 hour ago, WILF said:

Fair play mate, however I think it’s easy to forget that we don’t pay the real price of food at point of sale do we.

£16 for a chicken is probably the totally correct price, but we pay £4 at point of sale and subsidise the rest out of tax and treating the animals like shit whilst killing the planet we live on.

Theres no such thing as “cheap” food imho, just smoke and mirrors ?

£16 was over 10 years ago Wilf. I know where you are coming from though I won't buy the cheap stuff and have had this conversation with people. After all would you feed your dog on the cheapest crap you can buy or any of your animals. 

I'll give you an example of what organophosphates can do. My brother in law worked as a dairyman on a farm, a big spray tank was leaking and as he used to be a fibreglass laminator he offered to fibreglass it as the farmer was a friend as well. So he got inside the tank and done the job all was fine. Then after a while all his joints ached and he was bad with flue like symptoms he did get better over time. But if he smells spray that somebody is using or he eats anything that has a trace of a spay on it, it triggers it all off again. He only eats organic food now try to stay well.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

All this talk of food has made me hungry, so the missus has made a game pie;

IMG_1322.JPG.01aeb0823de269136b43cf314f8dcb28.JPG

IMG_1325.JPG.d1c29379ec23b3f3da00398af4faa9ad.JPG

IMG_1326.JPG.1a7ca882348dc800f685415a2c88b22c.JPG

Main ingredients are hare and pigeon, onions, garlic, black pudding and red wine.

Dont know if it's organic, but I know where the ingredients came from, I caught or grew most of them !

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Well lads, what is positive is that a load of hairy arsed hunting types from all corners of the country seem to care and think about where their food comes from and the wider picture.

Despite what anyone may think I like to think well of people and I genuinely believe lads like the ones replying to this odd little thread of mine are doing the best they can in their own little ways.......lots of small things add up to a big thing so to speak.

I think there are enough people in the world who think the same and a few of them would be willing to pay for a product that fits in with that.

As Newkid said, it’s not about setting the world alight, it’s about doing something that makes me feel good.

Thank you boys, all points duly noted ?

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Main ingredients are hare and pigeon, onions, garlic, black pudding and red wine.

Dont know if it's organic, but I know where the ingredients came from, I caught or grew most of them !

Cheers.

Send me your address, I’m on my way ! 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, WILF said:

Well lads, what is positive is that a load of hairy arsed hunting types from all corners of the country seem to care and think about where their food comes from and the wider picture.

Despite what anyone may think I like to think well of people and I genuinely believe lads like the ones replying to this odd little thread of mine are doing the best they can in their own little ways.......lots of small things add up to a big thing so to speak.

I think there are enough people in the world who think the same and a few of them would be willing to pay for a product that fits in with that.

As Newkid said, it’s not about setting the world alight, it’s about doing something that makes me feel good.

Thank you boys, all points duly noted ?

Good luck in what avenue you decide to take wilf 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

Looks good that charts I bought a book of simonman of here think it was for charity that has some really good and interesting game recipes in can't remember name of it but tried a few and they were good 

Adding value is a hell of a way to go ......

For example ..... Pork ...... 5/10 quid a K

Salami - keeps for ages ..... 60 quid a kilo!

Thats how I’m heading I think -

Home made chorizo 

Muntjac Jerky 

Rabbit and pigeon salami etc 

Theres some serious money to be made there from a small ish turnover.

Just something for you to think about while eating your bacon! 

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Adding value is a hell of a way to go ......

For example ..... Pork ...... 5/10 quid a K

Salami - keeps for ages ..... 60 quid a kilo!

Thats how I’m heading I think -

Home made chorizo 

Muntjac Jerky 

Rabbit and pigeon salami etc 

Theres some serious money to be made there from a small ish turnover.

Just something for you to think about while eating your bacon! 

Something I have thought about mate because I use all those type of products but I need to do more research as I’m not so sure the climate would lend itself to that sort of thing......it’s warm and damp here ALL the time.

£16 quid for a chicken no way lol. Our local butcher sells one for over a tenner and thats too dear. Just can't do it. I don't mind paying more with in reason.But for 16 quid you could buy 5 or 6 in aldi and the taste would not be hugely different. But like I say I do buy half a lamb or pigs local if I can at decent price and the taste is worth every penny. Also when it comes to veg the taste difference  in shop stuff and home grown is huge. Spuds espeacially 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, WILF said:

Something I have thought about mate because I use all those type of products but I need to do more research as I’m not so sure the climate would lend itself to that sort of thing......it’s warm and damp here ALL the time.

It’s not as hard as you think, deffo worth looking into mate - lots of folk sell pork, lamb etc and all that. How many folk sell locally reared, home produced salami / chorizo etc etc. Lots of pubs and restaurants use it also and very few folk produce it etc. 

Heritige salad crops is another - perpetual cropping, sell small salad bags and also supply a restaurant etc. Look at the price per kilo for some nice rocket etc! Easy to grow in a poly tunnel! 

There are quite a few little things you can do. 

• Like 1

3 chickens for a tenner in my local co op, a tenners worth of crusty rolls from the baker next door spatchcock the lot in different seasonings and I can feed all comers for a weekend ??mind you when I was up the canal last weekend with my daughter I was thinking woodpigeon will be replacing chicken when I move aboard ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1