Need to be quick grab a bargain

27 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

What amazes me is how many folk don’t know what a line bred dog is, and the difference between that and a generation bred dog. Also also how much folk over complicate the whole job ? and mostly just to chase a few rabbits about every now and them, the odd fox, odd hare maybe and if they lucky a couple deer a season. Not knocking anyone at all, just the way it seems to be.

All this stuff about “I’d rather have a scatter bred dog, all the line bred dogs I’ve seen are crap etc” I’m not saying either is right. But if you’ve mostly seen crap dogs, or average at best, how can you say? Obviously you only should source pups from the best stock you can find, and if that’s not in your kennel, don’t breed, no matter whether it’s your line, someone else’s or a random mutt you found on the street.

Its simply scientific fact that true line breeding of quality animals, whatever the breed, increases the chances of a consistent, even litter / crop that performs well (however you measure that performance).

Yer sure, if you breed a line of crap then you will produce crap. 

Re scatter bred dogs, when I said typey before, that’s the point I was trying to make re litter wastage. If you have a huge number of breeds in a Lurcher x Lurcher breeding, you’re going to run the risk of curve balls, ie pups much smaller, bigger, slower, or thrown to wrong sort for job you after etc. But if you breed two unrelated typey dogs together, with similar breeds, you shouldn’t get too much variation.  

Back to the point I started with - most folk hve only seen average dogs of varying degrees, so don’t really know what a very very good dog would look like. Even if they got a very very good pup, it would be highly unlikely to ever get the chance to see quite how much it could do. 

Get what you’re saying, but if most people have only seen average, then surely going off that theory most men that keep lines only have average lines (which I’d agree with). What you get is people saying “line bred” as if it’s a stamp of quality, and “scatterbred” as if it’s a lesser dog that could never live up to the great line bred animals we see on some of these forums.

End of the day the only thing a lurcher should be judged on is how much game it’s put away single handed, not what it’s great great grandmother did 20 years ago.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

that's fair enough better a good pet home than some idiot writing it off as a failure by nine month and getting rid.

Don’t take this the wrong way and please don’t take offence...... but you don’t half talk some nonsense sometimes. You say that “most people in the Lurcher game and on here are money orientated” - how

If I bred a litter of pups I’d rather see one go to an old man to lie in front of a fire than some idiot that’ll feed it shit food, run it on hard ground, shout about how amazing it is then sell it.

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Get what you’re saying, but if most people have only seen average, then surely going off that theory most men that keep lines only have average lines (which I’d agree with). What you get is people saying “line bred” as if it’s a stamp of quality, and “scatterbred” as if it’s a lesser dog that could never live up to the great line bred animals we see on some of these forums.

End of the day the only thing a lurcher should be judged on is how much game it’s put away single handed, not what it’s great great grandmother did 20 years ago.

I think you’ve a bit of a chip on your shoulder about these ‘line bred’ animals. Don’t suppose you were sold a duffer by any chance ? 

Never net anyone who thought a crap dog was good cis it’s grandma was, but also seen some very good dogs that were bred out of very good dogs, and you tend to find it all it it’s ancestors were very good, there’s a fair chance it had potential to be it brought on right. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

Oh i see lol  no i dont just a bit of light hearted banter and dont take things to seriously but do think 2grand for a lurcher is silly and i doubt serious working dog men would give them a second look anyway ?

Fair play. And I whole heartedly agree. 

32 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I think you’ve a bit of a chip on your shoulder about these ‘line bred’ animals. Don’t suppose you were sold a duffer by any chance ? 

Never net anyone who thought a crap dog was good cis it’s grandma was, but also seen some very good dogs that were bred out of very good dogs, and you tend to find it all it it’s ancestors were very good, there’s a fair chance it had potential to be it brought on right. 

I just judge dogs by how they run not how they’re bred

Edited by Shadow100

A Lurchers a lurcher to me Long as it’s willing to do my bidding an catch me gear with a bit of style about it an I’m happy with what I’ve got I couldn’t really careless if it’s line bred, gen bred or a complete scatter bred if I like the parents an what they can do I’ll take a punt on a pup.I’ve had line bred as well as scatter bred they’ve all worked ok an we’re honest dogs I’ve had a few dogs along the way that were dirt/shit whatever you want to call them.i do like all the line bred stuff I find all the pedigree side of things interesting but that’s about it tbh it means nothing to me to be fair. Tbh in this game you can stand there giving all the names in the pedigree Under the sun you want in a line but knowing there’s always a lad/lass just round the corner with a less bred dog that will blow said dog out the water on ability 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

well said, he did, and we all to blame, stockmanship is lost on some people.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, two crows said:

well said, he did, and we all to blame, stockmanship is lost on some people.

I had a pup off someone years ago and it didn’t work out, believe it or not I don’t lose sleep over that. Just in response to your earlier post, maybe if some of us to live to 200 we can hope to be as brilliant and knowledgeable as you. You thick headed, kennel blind old fool.

Edited by Shadow100
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

I had a pup off someone years ago and it didn’t work out, believe it or not I don’t lose sleep over that. Just in response to your earlier post, maybe if some of us to live to 200 we can hope to be as brilliant and knowledgeable as you. You thick headed, kennel blind old fool.

but your not bitter lol

• Haha 1