I think athletes and, people in general are physically progressing. 

Roger Bannister did the mile in 3:58 in 1952 - lots of people have done it since.

........ I think the fastest now is a Moroccan at something like 3:43.

People set another benchmark then, others push to better it - look at some of the weights lifted in strongman competitions. 

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Say no more

Ali after beating sonny liston at 22 yrs old in 1964 (56 years ago)    If people are still talking about him as the greatest nearly 6 decades later, I think it’s fair to say it’s b

You see Greb ,it is possible to make a nonsensical , unbelievably daft post ,about a subject you have no personal experience of without insulting people look an learn ,be nice.

Posted Images

12 hours ago, maxhardcore said:

Drink Drunks ey and you were laughing about Hearns - Hearts lol

Breathe and Stretch Gary lad ?

You're gibbering rubbish AGAIN max. YOU were the one that mentioned hearts, whoever the f**k that is, in your earlier posts. I think you probably meant HEARNS, predictive text I expect. A bit like what you write BEFORE you engage your brain.

Don't know why you keep mentioning gary stretch either, were you allowed to stay up late to watch his fights or something?

I'm away to eat my steak dinner now ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, Jonjon79 said:

I think athletes and, people in general are physically progressing. 

Roger Bannister did the mile in 3:58 in 1952 - lots of people have done it since.

........ I think the fastest now is a Moroccan at something like 3:43.

People set another benchmark then, others push to better it - look at some of the weights lifted in strongman competitions. 

But surely peds have had a massive impact on the progression of strongman competition jonjon, I'm with King on this one as far as humans haven't changed but sports science has actually made the difference, take a naturally talented human from a 100 years ago and give him all the advantages of today's world and there would be very little if any difference. 

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

But surely peds have had a massive impact on the progression of strongman competition jonjon, I'm with King on this one as far as humans haven't changed but sports science has actually made the difference, take a naturally talented human from a 100 years ago and give him all the advantages of today's world and there would be very little if any difference. 

Yes, I think that's definitely been a contributing factor across the board in top level sports but, I do think natural evolution has had a small role to play as well.

1 hour ago, Jonjon79 said:

Yes, I think that's definitely been a contributing factor across the board in top level sports but, I do think natural evolution has had a small role to play as well.

Have you watched that video I put up mate.all will be explained in that vid.

19 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

The evidence is man is running faster ' jumping higher - Further ' throwing further ect

As I say I will let time ' distances and records ' Real Achievements dictate if man has progressed this last 100 years not Big Bang type theory's .

Its why they called theory's and not

FACTS ?

What are you talking about theorys for.who has mentioned theorys apart from you.

That video link I put up the guy is talking about real facts.not theorys.

Listen if you want to believe that man has got faster over the last 100yrs them fine. 

But the cold hard stats say different.

Watch the video and see how you are wrong in what you think..

No one is perfect and no-one is right all the time.

And on this conversation you are wrong.just because you think something doesent make it right.

The facts are allways right..

• Haha 1
Just now, maxhardcore said:

So athletes breaking records ' engineering ' Space Race ' Man on the Moon is not progression.

The last 100 years man has progressed 

FACT

What are you on about seriously..

Man on the moon..

We are talking about have athletes got faster the last 100yrs.

Not nasa or the space shuttle.

In 1936 Jesse Owens was running on cynders made from burnt wood.

He dug his foot holes with a little trowel.

Bolt is using a proper step to launch off and running on a modern surface.

Jesse Owens would be 1 stride behind bolt.at the finish line.

Technology has moved on.man hasn't.

Watch the video.and listen to the facts.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

So athletes breaking records ' engineering ' Space Race ' Man on the Moon is not progression.

The last 100 years man has progressed 

FACT

But those massive steps mostly happened a long time ago max, yes they've be refined, man would never have got to the moon if they didn't learn to fly, the same with electricity the same with the light bulb. 

How far have the human race really progressed in the last 100 years?

10 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

But those massive steps mostly happened a long time ago max, yes they've be refined, man would never have got to the moon if they didn't learn to fly, the same with electricity the same with the light bulb. 

How far have the human race really progressed in the last 100 years?

He ain't able to have a decent debate mate.and will ignore facts because he thinks he's right..

If someone knows more about something than me.i will listen and learn.

The same as every student alive does.

We never stop being students at any age.we learn untill we die..

17 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

You'l be saying it's the lightweight football boots that are making modern day football players faster and more athletic nowdays than 40-60 years ago and not nutrition and training ect 

Listen.

8 men run in the 100meter race.

Jesse Owens would be 1 stride behind usain bolt. And come in 2nd position.

If he was around now to run in the 100meter race.

Jesse Owens would be faster than the other 6 runners.

So from 1936 untill today.man has not got any faster.

The track has got better the shoes have got better.

How are you struggling  understand what I'm saying to you.

The 6 runners behind Jesse Owens are eating today's diet and training by today's methods.but they ain't running faster.

So to sum it up.

Man hasn't got faster the last 100yrs.

You can argue as much as you want.

Facts are facts.

You are wrong. Simple as that.

Now get a fecking grip man ffs..

I'm not taking sides in this; I watched the video and found it very thought provoking, but the man was a very charismatic speaker, who I think could make a convincing argument about anything !

To put this in the context of dogs, racing whippets in particular, the following may give some people pause for though;

In the late 60's early 70's I was the Handicapper at a couple of whippet tracks.

The scratch dogs, the fastest dogs of the day were doing about 9 seconds dead for 150 yards.

Thats around 16 yards per second.

When I got back into the racing a few years back, I simply couldn't believe the times I was told the dogs were now doing, 8 seconds for 150 yards, with some exceptional dogs even faster.

Now, one second faster doesn't seem a lot, but it translates as 16 yards faster over 150 yards !

I simply couldn't believe that the scratch dogs of today could give the scratch dogs of 50 years ago 16 yards start, so I bought a stop watch and timed them myself, and it was true ! They were doing these times !

How have the dogs got so much faster ? They get the same training, the same feeding, run on the same tracks, out of the same traps, timed with the same equipment, so how could it happen ?

Well, the only difference I could see was "Selective Breeding"

Years ago we bred from our own bitches to the local villages or council estates best dog, but for many years now, they've been travelling the country, breeding best to best. If a dog or bitch isn't good enough, it isn't bred from !

I don't know how this relates to Owens and Bolt, but it's convinced me that dogs are getting faster !

Where will it end ? Who knows, 

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

I'm not taking sides in this; I watched the video and found it very thought provoking, but the man was a very charismatic speaker, who I think could make a convincing argument about anything !

To put this in the context of dogs, racing whippets in particular, the following may give some people pause for though;

In the late 60's early 70's I was the Handicapper at a couple of whippet tracks.

The scratch dogs, the fastest dogs of the day were doing about 9 seconds dead for 150 yards.

Thats around 16 yards per second.

When I got back into the racing a few years back, I simply couldn't believe the times I was told the dogs were now doing, 8 seconds for 150 yards, with some exceptional dogs even faster.

Now, one second faster doesn't seem a lot, but it translates as 16 yards faster over 150 yards !

I simply couldn't believe that the scratch dogs of today could give the scratch dogs of 50 years ago 16 yards start, so I bought a stop watch and timed them myself, and it was true ! They were doing these times !

How have the dogs got so much faster ? They get the same training, the same feeding, run on the same tracks, out of the same traps, timed with the same equipment, so how could it happen ?

Well, the only difference I could see was "Selective Breeding"

Years ago we bred from our own bitches to the local villages or council estates best dog, but for many years now, they've been travelling the country, breeding best to best. If a dog or bitch isn't good enough, it isn't bred from !

I don't know how this relates to Owens and Bolt, but it's convinced me that dogs are getting faster !

Where will it end ? Who knows, 

Cheers.

I think you already said it, selective breeding. 

Us humans are not bred for performance, I'm sure  Mr and Mrs Bolt didn't breed to create a super athlete. 

Now if Usain Bolt started banging Marion Jones and their kids mated with the kids of other athletes, in the future then it could be done. ?

Edited by Greb147
  • Like 2