Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Alarm set for 3am , I must be mad ? Arrived at perm not long after 3.30 and headed for some rough ground where I have seen a couple of bucks but nothing about except a doe staring at me through the cow parsley. Headed to other end of ground and spotted a buck in some high vegetation,  watched him for some time hoping to present a shot but he just kept moving and wouldnt present a nice shot , eventually disappearing into a group of trees.  I waited at the other side hoping he would reappear which he did about 5 minutes later ? I was ready on the quads but he was walking constantly so I gave him a shout , he stopped so I sent a 100 grn pill , heard the strike but off he went. I marked where I last saw him and followed up . Initially no blood trail but then I found it and followed it in the long grass into the wood where he had expired after an eighty yard dash ? Another mature 6 pointer. When I was dragging him back to car spotted another 2 bucks , a young 4 pointer and another 6 pointer ??

20210612_050429.jpg

• Like 8

First walk out in about 3 weeks, so a trip up to the shoot, just to see what was about. First of all a few rabbits for my mate with the .17 and then a call for half an hour at the one place it’s still possible to shoot but nothing showed, getting back to the truck and heading back to the farm, we had just set off when my mate clocked a deer making its way along a gutter, I got the .243 out and headed to the bank side of the gutter, I could see it through the bino’s and it was a roe buck, but with its back to me it presented no shot. We had a good idea where it was heading so jumped back in the truck and made our way to the farm yard, giving it until very last light it never showed again, never mind it was just really nice to be out again 

F724E589-B9CF-4DB6-ADF7-8DFF0CB48F06.jpeg

C97BF314-F9D5-4E88-9EFE-602BC2136A21.jpeg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, BenBhoy said:

Glad your up & about, at least we won't have to listen to you're moaning. 

31 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Bet it felt great to be out and get rid of the cabin fever ?

It’s was nice to be out again, my feet are sore this morning so I’m not done with the moaning yet ?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, David.evans said:

Stav 

get the wife to suck your toes , it improves the blood flow or so I’m told ?

I asked, but her response was a bit hostile to say the least, I’ll try again later, once she’s been fed ??

• Haha 1

Just popped out again to look for an elusive fox I cant catch up with ....1st scan with bins and spotted a buck in next field. Stalked in really close to around 40 yds and noticed it couldnt put down it's back leg due to an injury so decided it needed to be culled.... Went to where I was going to lie up for the fox and a group of 6 teenagers were there shouting on so I left and lay up further away. 10 mins later they appeared right in front of me so I asked them were they were going , 1 nice young lad replied where going well away now . Nice to see decent young kids for once and not awful chavs ?

20210613_191841.jpg

20210613_191957.jpg

• Like 5