Back up at the shoot

My local game dealer is paying £1.90 for clean rabbits. We aren’t overrun with them . But I reckon I could go around with the lamp off the buggy and shoot enough to make a profitable evening. The stupid horse women are always moaning about them , so I’d better show willing and have a go . 

• Like 2

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Had a look back to the field where the vixen was screaming at me the other night to try my luck. Spotted a cub straight away on the edge of cover, turned out to be quite small. A bit of calling and another showed,  they wouldn't come in to the caller but just sat back on the edge of cover wondering what the sound was. 2 in the bag and no sign of the vixen until I packed up and was back at the car. She was screaming again but no chance of a shot. ??

20210628_001800.jpg

• Like 6
9 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Had a look back to the field where the vixen was screaming at me the other night to try my luck. Spotted a cub straight away on the edge of cover, turned out to be quite small. A bit of calling and another showed,  they wouldn't come in to the caller but just sat back on the edge of cover wondering what the sound was. 2 in the bag and no sign of the vixen until I packed up and was back at the car. She was screaming again but no chance of a shot. ??

20210628_001800.jpg

I haven’t seen a cub yet when I’ve been out a night. I’ve trapped two and I’ve shot vixens that have had Cubs . So I dare say they will show up as soon as my birds go to wood . 

1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

My local game dealer is paying £1.90 for clean rabbits. We aren’t overrun with them . But I reckon I could go around with the lamp off the buggy and shoot enough to make a profitable evening. The stupid horse women are always moaning about them , so I’d better show willing and have a go . 

You can’t give them away around here

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

20210628_001800.jpg

Nice going that ? first Cubs I’ve seen, only seen one flat one on the road

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

20210628_001800.jpg

She will most likely move the other cubs now, if there are any.

40 minutes ago, David.evans said:

FH 

is that a old t67 on top , if so how are you getting on with it red beam . .?

seems to work ok , your getting some good results mate 

Very observant Dave , yep it's a T67 ? This one is a white pill though , my old eyes struggle a bit now having to shoot with red ? I spot with Red and shoot with White ?

• Like 1

Out today on the pigeons , birds decoyed brilliantly straight in to the decoys committed . Not loads of birds about but the ones that decoyed did text book and I was shooting straight missing only a couple of birds ? Final bag 48 woodies 2 ferals. Never picked them all as some dropped in the wood behind me. Really enjoyable day shooting in a t-shirt ....

20210702_152345.jpg

• Like 3

Went to check my squirrel traps this morning and the sight that met me made me wince . There were two squirrels in my box trap , one had managed to somehow get caught in two traps , but both of them had managed to get caught by their testicles and one had managed to get his penis caught too . They were both still alive , so I quickly put them out of their misery. I have got to say that the box trap has been very humane so far with the vast majority of squirrels caught by the body and would have been killed instantly. I think I know what has caused this . I topped up with a bit of wheat and cracked maize and I think it’s been pushed under the tread plate and stopped it springing properly. All sorted now , so hopefully no more bad catches . I don’t like what squirrels do to trees and have very little love for “tree rats “ but no creature deserves what these went through . So if anyone has these traps don’t overload with bait . 

6C775D22-5673-4E3D-94EC-3E53CF837C9B.jpeg

• Haha 3