Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Oh dear Si, please don’t tell me you have a pair of them ?

its safe to say I dont   ?

I generally go shooting in my work stuff... scruffiest hunter in Yorkshire, I did get given a posh pair of hunting boots a while back, should of cost £300.. there crap id of been pissed off if id payed £3 for them, French shite ?

anyway.. I hope the cream works and your up and about soon

• Like 1

I had a pair of them french boots and they fell to bits in a year, which was a shame because their wellies are spot on, just a bit expensive, I’ve got a pair of Meindl boots now and I’ve had them about 5 years, never looked after them and they are still spot on

2 hours ago, Stavross said:

I had a pair of them french boots and they fell to bits in a year, which was a shame because their wellies are spot on, just a bit expensive, I’ve got a pair of Meindl boots now and I’ve had them about 5 years, never looked after them and they are still spot on

Is it illegal to say Le chameau ? You a right the wellies are good and the leather boots aren’t. But the wellies aren’t what they used to be before they shipped production to Madagascar. Leather boots Meindl all the way .?Anyway the “Cheese eating surrender monkeys” can do one , I’m not buying anything from France anymore. I’m sick to death of their sour grapes over Brexit . Buy British , unless it’s made in Scotland, they can do one and all .?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
2 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Is it illegal to say Le chameau ? You a right the wellies are good and the leather boots aren’t. But the wellies aren’t what they used to be before they shipped production to Madagascar. Leather boots Meindl all the way .?Anyway the “Cheese eating surrender monkeys” can do one , I’m not buying anything from France anymore. I’m sick to death of their sour grapes over Brexit . Buy British , unless it’s made in Scotland, they can do one and all .?

Yerr, stuff ‘em. Couldn’t agree more about France. As for Scotland, my Mrs is half Scottish and half of my in-laws are Scottish. They all live in England now, and she thinks the same as well????

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I’m with you on both counts?

I call them me fair wether boots, there shite if it’s cold there shite when it’s hot... only thing I’ll give them is there water proof!

think they had done 3 drives before I got given them?

4ECBD982-3A19-4487-A040-330701076475.jpeg.a258c88c231d5ca7717133433487db30.jpeg

• Like 1

Well my Gout is a lot better and I can actually walk now so decided to have a wander. On arrival at my ground I spotted a doe in the buttercup meadow and watched her for a while,  no kids in tow. I then headed to the bottom of the ground in search of the old buck I've seen a few times but nothing about apart from a foxy deposit ? Heading back to the buttercup meadow I spotted the doe and watched her for around 20 minutes or so as I needed her to move off so could set up on the side of the copse. When she moved to the corner of the field I was able to slip around her unnoticed,  just as I was in the middle of the field and skylined a buck emerged from the copse ? I ducked down and he hadn't noticed me? The doe then started barking which had the buck alert and looking back towards her , this was my chance. I was crouching on my sticks and hit him slightly angled , he did a death run into the copse crashing through the fence.  I followed up and quickly found him dead about 30 yards in the wood. Another 6 pointer .....seems to be no yearlings about this season,  not seeing any.

20210605_201202.jpg

20210605_212335.jpg

20210605_223401.jpg

• Like 6
9 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Nice job mate, oh I wish I could get out, just for the smells and sounds, it’s good for the soul ?

Sure is , I'm just glad I can walk again , we take things for granted until they're not there.

6 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Sure is , I'm just glad I can walk again , we take things for granted until they're not there.

Your not wrong, I’ll never take my feet for granted again, from now on I’ll be pampering my feet whenever they need it ?

I’ve been waiting for the first silage cut of the year , but because of the weather and waterlogged fields it’s been a lot later than usual. I received a call on Saturday evening from a tractor driver to tell me that he was watching a vixen and Cubs playing on the grass he’d just cut . Now I know this guy and he is a bullshiter of the highest order and can’t lye straight in bed . So I took the information with a liberal pinch of salt . He’s a fox shooter himself and friends with another keeper. I know that he would be chuckling to himself thinking of me waiting for the imaginary Cubs . The place where he said they were I’ve already checked, but on the outside chance that he was telling the truth I thought I’d start my Sunday evening fox foray there . On inspection there was literally no chance of a safe shot anywhere near so I cut my losses and and headed to a small paddock near to my feed shed , as soon as I pulled up I could see a fox mooching about . It was only 9.0pm and still very light , I had my .243 with my day S&B 8x56 scope , but the shot wasn’t safe as there was a cottage behind Charlie, the fox however looked up and saw me and very obligingly started to make for the other side of the field, I whistled and it stopped long enough for me to send a 70grain Sierra Blitzking into its rib cage. That didn’t take long I thought to myself , it was a barren vixen . I had my young mate Adam with me , he’s as keen as mustard and good company and more importantly, great at opening and closing gates ?
         The next port of call was a cut field that is always very productive and we decided to sit there tucked up and wait til dark and see if anything showed. It was almost dark now and nearly too dark to see with the day scope . I was scanning with the thermal and Adam with the Binoculars, I noticed a glow near this hedge on the far side of the field I put the thermal down and Adam confirmed it was a fox with something in its mouth . The fox was motoring across the bank and a loud “ oi “ stopped it in its tracks and it dropped without so much as a twitch of its tail , at a distance that I later Mapulatored of 266 meters . “F@ck me , what a shot “ Adam exclaimed, now I’m not a person who is given to American style whooping and excitement , and I’m no Mark Ripley so  I couldn’t help but grin like a Cheshire Cat . We had a bit of a bet on what we thought was in its mouth , we were both wrong, it was a dog fox obviously on its way back to feed Cubs with a pheasant and two Thrush fledglings in its gob , what a shame . 
        The next field we came to we didn’t see anything but it’s not an area I shoot much so there had to be something around and so I thought we’d set up the caller , I asked Adam what call we should go for “ let’s go old school, rabbit distress “ and it was the right choice because a fox wasn’t long in showing up and I added a vixen that had obviously had Cubs this year to our tally . “Let’s go back to where that Bullshitter said he’d seen them Cubs “ suggested Adam , good plan . On entering the field he tapped me on the arm ( his job is spotting with the thermal as well as chief gate opener ) “fox straight in front of you “ . I watched through my scope a fox mooching between the cut rows of grass , it lifted it head and I squeezed the trigger but it sounded a bit off , not the usual thud . The fox spun and headed for cover , I was assured it would be soon dead as he could see its insides trailing behind. After about half an hour of searching we gave it best and decided to come back the next day with dogs . I dropped Adam off and head back to put the mule away , but on the way back I pulled into a cut field and spotted a fox mooching , there is a fold in the field and I didn’t want to push my luck and get a better position, it wasn’t too far about 60 meters I could only see its head so I went for an “ eye popper” . It was a big dog fox , so that was four in the truck and one in the hedge, but we all know the rules? You can’t count them unless you find them . And so it was that this morning we got the dogs out and located the fox just where we were looking last night , why we couldn’t see it I don’t know , but there you have it , five pheasant munchers less to worry about , but sadly too late for the Thrush chicks .

9E47023F-6B9E-4F04-8B3E-9086D80DCDB8.jpeg

CC675205-43BB-4FD2-B114-A3C1F03FC759.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1