Sheep and lambs

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never hurts to keep on top of them? Reminds me to get back out in amongst them with the wheaten x... She not seen any for a few months, stuck local only got cattle and horses which she is bombpro

Best not bother ewes in lamb or any form of sheep.stay out the road on um if possible however good the dogs are imo 

Have You soiled your only pair of y fronts again mort? ? No one is advocating slipping dogs through sheep..... That would be on par with letting more than one terrier to ground at once?people in glass

Posted Images

Just now, Gilbey said:

Depends on the sheep(and farmer) doesn't it, aren't all wild.

You've also got farmers chasing f**k out of them with the bike/dog and catching them with the dog etc all more stressful than a steady dog passing

My original post which took this a bit off track, was just asking out of interest, how far different folk took the while ‘it’s broken to sheep’ thing. Working dogs steadily in and around stock is fine, especially certain stock types and at certain times of year. I kind of always took it for granted growing up that most hunting folk understood farming, but obviously that’s not true as many hunters grow up and live in cities.

I just saw a video of a lad firing a dog at a rabbit in a field of sheep, the dog ran it through the sheep bouncing them everywhere and FairPlay the dog didn’t look at the sheep once and they were bouncing off him, and he caught the bunny.

But as a farmer, if you ran a dog on a rabbit through my in lamb ewes like that, I’d throttle you. 

Different thing letting you go work your dogs up on the hill or in the woods, where there might be sheep scattered about, dog might spook one or two, but generally they move out the way sharpish as they see and hear you coming.

A flock of sheep laid up at rest at night that has a mutt bang straight through, could be real bad news financially. I’ve had it happen! 

And yes I do catch sheep with the dogs, but only individuals with an issue, and generally in lamb ewes are handled slow and steady.

As for chasing them about madly in a quad, lets just say there are good and bad farmers, and the ones who do shit like that have no sense and shit dogs.

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

Depends on the sheep(and farmer) doesn't it, aren't all wild.

You've also got farmers chasing f**k out of them with the bike/dog and catching them with the dog etc all more stressful than a steady dog passing

Has been said some sheep get use to certain dogs and I'm sure they don't see a quad as a threat and they don't know if a dogs steady or not buddy and as you you know one runs they all follow hence the saying 

Edited by Blackmag

Morton, do you remember, about 18 months ago, you said that 90% of ALL lurchers with a greyhound sire or dam, would definetly be shit. Then a couple of weeks ago, on gilbey's thread about using greyhounds, you said, yep, they'd be useful. Sort yourself out fella, and stick to to talking shit and drivel about beddys and beddy hybrids, cos you aint got a clue about proper running dogs ?

• Haha 3
11 hours ago, Blackmag said:

Has been said some sheep get use to certain dogs and I'm sure they don't a quad as a threat and they don't know if a dogs steady buddy 

They know a dogs taking no notice mate, some see all sorts of dogs regular.

Also folk make the mistake of only showing their dogs the local sheep (their sheep to the dogs mind) nowhere near as tempting as a hill sheep or confusing as a herdy lamb etc

Edited by Gilbey
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

Also folk make the mistake of only showing their dogs the local sheep (their sheep to the dog) nowhere near as tempting as a hill sheep or confusing as herdy lamb etc

Second but is bang on. Hill sheep smell different and lambs move different and anything coloured .....

4 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

Also folk make the mistake of only showing their dogs the local sheep (their sheep to the dog) nowhere near as tempting as a hill sheep or confusing as herdy lamb etc

Totally agree buddy on the hill sheep as I said earlier   .Or a lamb bouncing about but I'm not sure about the they know better about dogs taking no notice part some have latched on when they have run stuff through them maybe the blood was up who knows but normally don't look at them 

5 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Totally agree buddy on the hill sheep as I said earlier   .Or a lamb bouncing about but I'm not sure about the they know better about dogs taking no notice part some have latched on when they have run stuff through them maybe the blood was up who knows but normally don't look at them 

Not talking about running through them (not deliberately anyway) mate, just the way mortons talking you'd not get much done on some land. Haven't seen this clip but I agree with sheepchaser...

5 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

Not talking about running through them (not deliberately anyway) mate, just the way mortons talking you'd not get much done on some land. Haven't seen this clip but I agree with sheepchaser...

Take no notice of Morton ? and I wasn't trying to be funny buddy and sheepchaser does say some valid points especially being on both sides 

33 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Take no notice of Morton ? and I wasn't trying to be funny buddy and sheepchaser does say some valid points especially being on both sides 

I know mate, wasn't either. Just saying it depends on the situation. Personally wouldn't even of done what bird did, looks bad

25 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

I know mate, wasn't either. Just saying it depends on the situation. Personally wouldn't even of done what bird did, looks bad

To be fair I think what bird did is good. If I come up to my sheep, I’m a dog man, I can read the situation. Man has dogs off lead, man has dogs under control, sheep are calm. He has the terrier on a lead so he obviously knows the score. I’d wave and go on by. Also it’s ewes and big lambs, no dramas there. If it were lambing ewes you’d go and have a chat and just warn the possible issues. It’s a good advert for Lurchers.

Its like poachers that shut gates and avoid stock. No one minds them.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

To be fair I think what bird did is good. If I come up to my sheep, I’m a dog man, I can read the situation. Man has dogs off lead, man has dogs under control, sheep are calm. He has the terrier on a lead so he obviously knows the score. I’d wave and go on by. Also it’s ewes and big lambs, no dramas there. If it were lambing ewes you’d go and have a chat and just warn the possible issues. It’s a good advert for Lurchers.

Its like poachers that shut gates and avoid stock. No one minds them.

Yep of course ? but a few round me aren't like you. Its just easier to keep them on leads and stick to the edges, or just keep away. That's what I mean it depends on the situation.

And I meant chasing difficult sheep on the bike, not particularly bad farmers. Was a fella on something recently clipping heavy ewes arses, thought that was daft?

Just now, Gilbey said:

Yep of course ? but a few round me aren't like you. Its just easier to keep them on leads and stick to the edges, or just keep away. That's what I mean it depends on the situation.

And I meant chasing difficult sheep on the bike, not particularly bad farmers. Was a fella on something recently clipping heavy ewes arses, thought that was daft?

Fair point.

Yer people do that, I've always favoured the quiet and slow and fire the dogs approach haha.

To be fair we are shearing ewes due to lamb from 1st of May on Wednesday. Its different, the shearers here know their shit.

• Thanks 1