North v South

5 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

The reality of any capital city is if you are one of lifes quiet,timid reserved types you are not going to attract gregarious good natured people and your probably going to come away thinking folk are unfriendly.........if on the other hand you are a confident,outgoing sociable person with a little bit about you your going to come away with an altogether better experience.......like anything in life you get out what you put in its not rocket science.

Do you think taking the markets out of the city took something away from London mate?.....I do, all those blokes whole life and living had been built on chatting and talking to people and it wasn’t the same when they were gone and all you had were commuters.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's wrong with liver. It's very good for you. Coated in flour black pepper and a salt, fryed in real butter, with home made brown bread,  The food for the gods Atb j 

I've spent half my life fishing in the lakes and it's stunning, someone mentioned life experiences and my best ones are there and on the beaches and in the sea in North Wales, travelled all over the w

I was working in a quarry on a dozer feeding a 1 mile long conveyor belt.through a big hopper. It was sandstone and gravel.The sandstone seem was about 2ft thick and I had to use the dozer ripper

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

I'm the same mate, worked up there a lot over the years and probably there at least once a month I'd say...not for me to live there, I like to dip in and then f**k off back to normality!! Lol...

I find people pretty friendly in the main.. we turned up at a small pub just down from Paddington, me and my brother went in for a pint, whilst girls were getting ready...ended up having q few and a good crack, on the Sunday went back in and the landlord (an italian) offered us tickets for a big motor show his wife worked at, the locals were good and we had a top day...since my mrs has been back for work stats local and goes in, weve been in with the kids for a roast and the landlord puts a pint infront of me as soon as I see him, makes a fuss of the kids etc...unfriendly?? No chance.... of course theres a load of twats as well, theres bound to be amongst 8 million odd people lol

never found london one bit intimidating like some claim lije gnasher said if your a confident person qnd not the shy type you'll get on with anybody who meet. The yuppies in Wimbledon in the alexandra didnt no what hit it for four weeks when a bunch of builders from up north came through the doors. some very fine ladies in the smoke too ?

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, WILF said:

I have been all over England and also a fair few places in Ireland, Scotland and Wales and I have got on with people wherever I have been.

If you can string a sentence together and are open and friendly and generally not trying to be something you ain’t then you will get along with people.

You encounter pricks all over the show, wether it be ignorant or chip on their shoulder types but you can only f**k em off and take them for the idiot they probably are.

You can’t beat rural southern England imho closely followed by the lakes and Scotland.

Strive to be a nice man and act like a gent, ignore the gobshites and you will get on wherever you go.

I was working in a quarry on a dozer feeding a 1 mile long conveyor belt.through a big hopper.

It was sandstone and gravel.The sandstone seem was about 2ft thick and I had to use the dozer ripper to break it up.

Track over it to make it football size and push into the hopper.

Had a lad in a little small cabin 40ft from the hopper if anything big came through .ie sandstone lump.he would hit the stop button and break it up with a sledge hammer.

Over 1yr a lad was in the cabin and didn't hardly have to stop the belt as I would make sure only small material went into the hopper.

Then a new guy started big lumper and well over weight.

First break time I sat with him in the little cabin eating a bowl of pasta.

He had his back turned to me and done the loudest burp and a few mins later an equally loud fart.and didn't say a word.

He knew I was eating food aswell.

Now that type of person I just can't stand.

I should of put 1 on him really.

But needed the job.

I said nothing and went back to the dozer after break to carry on working.

It was mid summer a good 28c down in the quarry hole.

I went straight for the sandstone seam and ripped some freezer size lumps out of it and filled the hopper.

Parked the dozer turned it off and sat jist behind the hopper.

I could hear the lumps banging as they hit the belt.

Of course he had to stop the belt and swing a lump hammer about 40 times to break the lump up.

1 min after starting the belt another bang I kept that up for the rest of the day.

He would look up to me sweat pouring out of him.shaking his head lol..

So the moral of the story is..

If you treat people like a cnut.

You to will be treated like a cnut..

There's my 3 lads came over for a look and a go in the dozer..

Screenshot_20200128-113047.jpg.a2b52a384e7cdd074c9438e6a73e27d0.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Yeah I've read about night dives, not sure I'm ready for that! :laugh:

If I heard whales (probably humpbacks) singing then I'd be absolutely made up. Hope to bump into some seals one day too.

Thoes seals can be dangerous around divers. One tried to kill a friend of mine at work. No divers could get into the water. Big brute. 

Atb j 

1 minute ago, jetro said:

Thoes seals can be dangerous around divers. One tried to kill a friend of mine at work. No divers could get into the water. Big brute. 

Atb j 

I was feeding one sand eels once off the rocks and when I ran out of sand eels the b*****d tried for my hand! :laugh:

I'll be armed so I'm not too fussed. See what happens naturally, I'm not going to force myself on them.

(I can already hear the vulgar innuendo you lot are thinking up) LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, Born Hunter said:

I was feeding one sand eels once off the rocks and when I ran out of sand eels the b*****d tried for my hand! :laugh:

I'll be armed so I'm not too fussed. See what happens naturally, I'm not going to force myself on them.

(I can already hear the vulgar innuendo you lot are thinking up) LOL

Yeah, they can be nasty any and cheeky enough. See them every day here, sunning on the rocks, big feckers.

Any j

1 hour ago, maxhardcore said:

What about ' Weardale ' Teesdale ' North Yorks ' The Moors' Northumberland ' The Lake Distict ' Scottish Borders .

Most 30-60 mins from 

The Land Of The Prince Bishops

The Lake Distict and The Scottish Borders 2 hours max ?

Beaches - Forests ' Coastlines ' Castles and Fooking loads of History .

Not to mention the Fresh Air ☺️?

f**k travelling half hour;5 mins and im on dartmoor, 5 mins I'm on the seafront, 5 mins in the fresh air

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, WILF said:

Do you think taking the markets out of the city took something away from London mate?.....I do, all those blokes whole life and living had been built on chatting and talking to people and it wasn’t the same when they were gone and all you had were commuters.

Probably....but theres still loads of markets Petticoat Lane is still thriving as are Brick Lane,Ridley Rd,Walthamstow and many others,different cultures these days but what do you expect... but its like every other thing they are trying to strip us of...i know im like a broken record but our culture and traditions are being taken from us... market spiel before lunchtime in the boozer is just one more tradition to take away from the white Englishman in England.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, king said:

I was working in a quarry on a dozer feeding a 1 mile long conveyor belt.through a big hopper.

It was sandstone and gravel.The sandstone seem was about 2ft thick and I had to use the dozer ripper to break it up.

Track over it to make it football size and push into the hopper.

Had a lad in a little small cabin 40ft from the hopper if anything big came through .ie sandstone lump.he would hit the stop button and break it up with a sledge hammer.

Over 1yr a lad was in the cabin and didn't hardly have to stop the belt as I would make sure only small material went into the hopper.

Then a new guy started big lumper and well over weight.

First break time I sat with him in the little cabin eating a bowl of pasta.

He had his back turned to me and done the loudest burp and a few mins later an equally loud fart.and didn't say a word.

He knew I was eating food aswell.

Now that type of person I just can't stand.

I should of put 1 on him really.

But needed the job.

I said nothing and went back to the dozer after break to carry on working.

It was mid summer a good 28c down in the quarry hole.

I went straight for the sandstone seam and ripped some freezer size lumps out of it and filled the hopper.

Parked the dozer turned it off and sat jist behind the hopper.

I could hear the lumps banging as they hit the belt.

Of course he had to stop the belt and swing a lump hammer about 40 times to break the lump up.

1 min after starting the belt another bang I kept that up for the rest of the day.

He would look up to me sweat pouring out of him.shaking his head lol..

So the moral of the story is..

If you treat people like a cnut.

You to will be treated like a cnut..

There's my 3 lads came over for a look and a go in the dozer..

Screenshot_20200128-113047.jpg.a2b52a384e7cdd074c9438e6a73e27d0.jpg

Its funny you say that as it can work both ways me and a mate took our wives for a wknd in a lovely little hotel in a place called Stiffkey in Norfolk a few months back,really nice little country place,beautiful scenery and surroundings.....we have a meal in a little village pub and the governor and staff clock our accents and start coming out with all this apples and pears carry on,swearing away like troopers i had to pull the gaffer aside and tell him to mind their manners.......me... a rough cockney bloke off the estates telling this lord of the manor type to watch his manners ?

Its something i have noticed before folk from rural places often like to show out to us Londoners a bit as if to say " we might be country folk but we aint no mugs you know ".....it even happens on here :whistling:.........in this case it was just comical listening to them effing and blindin with that funny Norfolk twang

• Like 3

My boys gets the fake London accent bollocks at school all the time.

Its as silly as it is childish really, I mean I don’t go to Birmingham and start talking like I got a mouth full of jelly or slap on fake side burns every time I visit Bristol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, WILF said:

My boys gets the fake London accent bollocks at school all the time.

Its as silly as it is childish really, I mean I don’t go to Birmingham and start talking like I got a mouth full of jelly or slap on fake side burns every time I visit Bristol.

A little laughing face just dont seem enough id go a full round of applause for that reply :clapper:

Edited by gnasher16
3 hours ago, maxhardcore said:

Here's another thing ?

Some professor of languages and dialects has stated that the North Speak proper English ?

Ie our slang words / phrases ect go all the way back to when the Germanic and Danish invaders came over and afterwards the Vikings 

You've got that a mile out mate. English was spoken by the Angles, a Saxon tribe, hence the name. I believe they originally settled in eat anglia from the Germanic area. They were here before the Danish whose language has had such an influence on place names etc in the North. The Britain's were here before the Angles and Saxons and were pretty much the original inhabitants, as far as recorded history goes anyway, and they have more in common with the Welsh and cornish.

Not particularly relevant to the original post really but if the rest of your facts are that far out .....

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Tyla said:

You've got that a mile out mate. English was spoken by the Angles, a Saxon tribe, hence the name. I believe they originally settled in eat anglia from the Germanic area. They were here before the Danish whose language has had such an influence on place names etc in the North. The Britain's were here before the Angles and Saxons and were pretty much the original inhabitants, as far as recorded history goes anyway, and they have more in common with the Welsh and cornish.

Not particularly relevant to the original post really but if the rest of your facts are that far out .....

Excellent post mate, but probably wasted because he normally makes up the history of Britain to suit himself.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he told us Alfred The Greats butler was a Sikh ! 

• Haha 2